dubbayab

drinking before jumping.

This weekend I was visiting a very large DZ when I compare it to my 182 home DZ. There is a resturant/bar that serves drinks. there are signs posted everywhere NO jumping if you are drinking.
while waiting for fuel, I saw severial men standing around, some drinking red bull, some drinking beer.
I was geared up waiting for the plane to fuel and to my surprise all of them geared up and borded the plane. I noticed as I was entering the plane I turned to see who was onbord to load ther correct way that these guys who were just drinking in front of everyone were bording the plane for a jump. I said to my self that "well I wont jump with them"
Question.....Is this a vilolation of the BSR for me? to have knowledge of this and to remain silent. remember they werent stinking drunk. no one else noticed them drinking.

There was a death recently at X-keys due to an impaired jumper. I'm not sure how to make that thread a clicky but you really should read it.

Emotions run high about this topic. Think of it this way...what if one of those drinking and jumping had caused a fatality, one that could have been prevented had someone spoken up and grounded the individual in question?

Never be afraid to speak up and do the right thing. You may step on some toes along the way but at least you will live to see tomorrow. I will refrain from writing anything further...don't feel like defending myself to flamers.

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

dito on the X-Key thread.
I would talk to someone (S&TA, Manifest, etc...) about it. There is more than their own safety involved IMHO; that includes the other jumpers, the pilot, and anyone (like in the X-Key incident) that would witness someone crashing into their backyard. The sport in itself includes enough risks without having to add stupid behavior. One can do everything right and still die, so there's no excuse to do something stupid and risk other people's lives doing so.
This thread should probably be moved to a "lower" forum soon...:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Here we were jump'n one day... at this here boogie see. Pretty big boogie... biggest in the world they say.... We had spent the hot ass summer day jumpn'... which meant we was all doin' a lot of packn'!

So after like the sixth or seventh jump of the day... we were like fuck it... let's crack open the beers. I threw my rig in the tent and pulled a nice cold hein-e out of the cooler and started throw'n em back.

After half a cigar and three or four beers later... the loudspeaker breaks in over the tunes and announces that they're manifest'n for the DC-3 load. We look at each other... get that shit eat'n grin on our faces and are like... dude... let's jump the DC-3! We grabbed our jump tickets and designated one chap to go and manifest us.

He comes back ten minutes later and says we've got about fourty-five minutes... because it's the SUNSET LOAD! Holy shit... we thought.... the sunset load..... Well we popped open another hein-e and celebrated!!!

Fourty-five minutes later we're kick'n a hackey sack around the DC-3 wait'n for them to fire it up. A couple minutes later and closer to dusk they fire it up and we climb inside to Blink 182 jamm'n from the speakers. We were sitt'n in the middle screamen our heads off and try'n to sing.

I think somewhere around eleven to twelve thousand feet that alcohol has gone through some magical transition... maybe due to the lack of oxygen... but shit we were trashed. Thrown' our helmets on we realized we didn't have an idea of what the fuck we were going to do. Sit fly sounded good and sit fly it was. After a quick ritual of the fists we climbed out the door!

Shit I don't even remember the count... but all I know is that my friends are rolling all over the sky in a fetal posiiton laughing their asses off.. We pointed at each other... got a three or four way together and then broke and pulled.

The canopy ride was one big giggle and that ground hauled ass up the sky. I slid my shades up my forehead so I could try and see in the dark... just to pull a sweet hook and flare. My longest as of that date.

Laughed about it all week and even that summer... hell I'm laugh'n about it now.... point is .... this is the bonfire.... and there's nothing like hearing some funny shit at the bonfire. If someone dumb ass wants to drink and make a jump... go for it!!! Just let me here about it when we're standing at the bonfire!!!! and oh yeah... save the politics for somewhere else. The soapbox maybe?

Agreed with all the above. Dropping 'shrooms actually makes for a better laugh. And the planet looks a lot cooler and friendlier when it rushes towards you in its full sparkle.
And since it IS the Bonfire: :)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

If someone dumb ass wants to drink and make a jump... go for it!!!

That's all good and well...until you are putting my life in danger.

I love a good time and I see absolutely nothing wrong with partying your ass off and laughin with friends, just do it on the ground.

And since this is the Bonfire...this one time at band camp... ;)

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

wow never gonna put my life anywhere near your hands.:|

I'm sorry but I don't care if I see Dan BC, Jim Wallace, Skygod Larry, or who the fuck ever drinking and then trying to get on my plane. I will say something. If that person brushs me off, I'm off the load and looking for the S&TA or the DZO. The sport is dangerous enough already we don't need a bunch of stupid fucks trying to make it worse b/c they couldn't keep there hands off the bottle till the little green light came on.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Laughed about it all week and even that summer... hell I'm laugh'n about it now.... point is .... this is the bonfire.... and there's nothing like hearing some funny shit at the bonfire. If someone dumb ass wants to drink and make a jump... go for it!!! Just let me here about it when we're standing at the bonfire!!!! and oh yeah... save the politics for somewhere else. The soapbox maybe?

I don't understand. What am I supposed to take from your post?

That it's cool and fun to jump when you're intoxicated?

That people should feel free to do it, as long as it feels like the right choice "for them?"

That the lives and safety of those around "them" are not to be considered?

:| I'm afraid I can't get with those concepts.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

You guys do know what a troll is, right? I mean, how obvious can you be???

You ain't kidding... waaaaaaay too obvious! Anybody remember the Nippleboy posts on rec.skydiving? They were outrageous jump stories that in no way could they have actually happened, but we did get a kick out of reading the fiction... :P

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm sorry but I don't care if I see Dan BC, Jim Wallace, Skygod Larry, or who the fuck ever drinking and then trying to get on my plane. I will say something. If that person brushs me off, I'm off the load and looking for the S&TA or the DZO.

Before you throw a total fit, and embarrass yourself...
even more.:P

You need to realize,
that some of us are actually licensed for that.

I know several people that have the coveted
"Cleared to Consume" rating.

They are GREAT loads to get on...
never seem to build right, but a lotta fun!

Just like at band camp...'cept the hats are cooler!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

T
Question.....Is this a vilolation of the BSR for me? to have knowledge of this and to remain silent. remember they werent stinking drunk. no one else noticed them drinking.

No, it's nt a violation of the BSR's for you.

Also, after 20 years and countless dropzones, I've yet to jump at one where people didn't jump after drinking or lighting one up. Most of the time though, they're doing it out of your sight. Once you get on the freeway to go home, I guarantee you that you'll be driving in the company of many more impaired people as well.

If you don't like it, just hang around and keep your eyes open, and you'll work out which people indulge, and just refrain from jumping with them or on loads that they are on.