Paulipod

Science test for you ;o)

Gravity, and the fact that water is a fluid, allow it to flow down the drain. :P
All other things being equal, the spin the water takes on is caused by the coreolis effect, imparted by the earth's rotation. It's clockwise in the northern hemisphere, and anti-clockwise in the southern. You can get it to spin the other way with a vigorous swirl of the hand, or with that device featured in the Simpsons episode where Bart placed that expensive call to Australia.B|
Patkat
gotta exercise my demons!

Having seen the budding scientists among you in the 'Weight / Mass' thread....

Here's a little poser for you....

What makes water go the direction it does down the plughole?
;)

IIRC, there have been some new findings which have debunked the Coriolis Effect wrt the "swirly direction", but I can't recall what they are and I don't have the findings in front of me.

Care to illuminate us there, Hawking? :D

mh

Ok Ok... certainly the closest...

Its really down to the shape and imperfections of the bowl..

So - Lisa Simpson, youre not so smart after all! :P

I have three basins in my house for example - 2 go clockwise - 1 goes anticlockwise

B|

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

lol... I wondered how many people based their knowledge on the simpsons B|

However... FAIL - Coriolis is NOT the right answer... but a commonly misunderstood myth.

Too bad Malcolm in the Middle hasn't addressed this problem - I'm sure that kid knows the right answer. And anyway, I'm an English major. I don't know much, but at least I cite my sources:P
I'll stick with my basic answer - that gravity and water's fluidity enable it to flow down the drain, and postulate that the spinning effect is caused by the fact that the drain is round and that water tends to adhere to surfaces. The spinning effect is the most efficient manifestation of the water's tendency to flow down the sides of the drian pipe.
I just made all that up on the spot.

[takes break for a quick education in fluid dynamics.]

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~dvandom/Edu/newcor.html

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00069EE7-6D24-1C71-9EB7809EC588F2D7&catID=3
These two sources suggest that it really is just residual motion left over from the filling of the sink, or other motion imparted while it was filled. Coriolis effect can be measured under verrrry controlled circumstances, but is negligible in real life. Guess I overthought it.:$
Patkat
gotta exercise my demons!

I was told by my physics teacher in highschool that as one side of the hole was closer to the equator it was traveling trough space faster then the other side, due to the distance of the equator.
(Imagine the travel trough space as a straight line)

This minute difference in the realative speed of north and south sides of the hole impart the spin into the water as it drops, or changes vector through space.
(Imagine two bodies exiting seperate airplanes flying beside each other at slightly different speeds and each holding on to opposite ends of the same rope. One is trown forward faster then the other)

That's what he told us anyway back in about 1969.

Hell I'm impressed I can remember that!!!
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

High School science classes are full of misinformation. The Coriolis effect requires large distances to have an effect. I've read that the Coriollis effect in a bathtub would produce one revolution per day, hardly a large factor in which way the water drains. However, I've read that a 15 mile artillery round will displace up to 100 yards due to the Coriollis effect, depending on latitiude and direction of the shot. Any artillery officers out there with more info?

High School Science also tells us that it's only Bernoulli making all airplanes fly, another science myth.

Agreed the scale was incorrect but the lesson was an analogie relating to the larger scales involved in physics. Along with gravitational influances and proximity to large masses. Things get scaled down to fit into our tiny highschool brains.
So analogy fundmentally correct, in the context of larger scales.

IE: assume the rope the jumpers are hanging on to being hundreds of miles long? Theoretical of courseand assume on mass or drag effect on the rope itself.
Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI

Having seen the budding scientists among you in the 'Weight / Mass' thread....

Here's a little poser for you....

What makes water go the direction it does down the plughole?
;)

Coriolis effect is tiny over the dimensions of a bathtub, and random turbulence in the water easily overcomes it.

HOWEVER, some 30 years ago some physicists did an experiment with a tub of water that they let stand, covered, for a week (so any intial motions would die out) before draining it through a hole in the center, using, I believe, a valve some way down the drain so that opening the valve didn't create any effect in the tub. Apparently under these conditions the rotation direction was quite consistent with Coriolis.

So the real answer to your question is - conservation of angular momentum (which always works).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.