Tolgak

Helmets

It's about time to get a helmet so I need some advice.

I'm planning on getting an open-faced helmet of some sort to be used for all disciplines of jumping until i can afford the closed face helmet I want. SkySystems is right around the corner from me so chances are good that I will buy my helmet from them.

Since I cannot visit them on days I do not have school, I have to ask a few questions about them through the forums. I am aware of the reviews on this website but I figure I can get some better testimonials through the forum.

The helmet I'm interested in is the Hurricane. However, I hear they aren't available to people with larger heads. I haven't tried many helmets on yet, but I cannot fit into a size large Mamba, to give you a sense of the scale.

Reviews tell me that they have durability issues regarding the helmet developing a crack (from flexing it to put it on, and the tightening system breaking after only a few jumps. How true are these assessments?

How well do any of their helmets isolate noise? I listen to music in freefall but it's very difficult even when all the holes are closed on a pro-tec. I also need to be able to hear an audible (yes I can hear one over music).

Are there any helmets comparable to the Hurricane on the market? I like the form of the helmet very much and ideally that's the type I will get. I want to be comfortable and have something that isn't much larger than my head.

If there are any other suggestions you can give about helmet purchasing, besides "go to the shop" (not all models are available everywhere), let me know.

Thanks.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

Yep, but you won't like it.:)

Buy a ProTec and stop listening to music in freefall. You have better things to do. And you can hear an audible just fine in a Protec. You won't be cool but you'll save a lot of money and protect your skull better.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The helmet I'm interested in is the Hurricane. However, I hear they aren't available to people with larger heads. I haven't tried many helmets on yet, but I cannot fit into a size large Mamba

I have a big head (my backup helmet is an XXL Mamba).

I own an XL Hurricane, and after removing the central part of the lining my head fits in there but it's incredibly snug. I use it for purely decorative purposes :P

Everything you've read in this thread is good advice!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Yep - everything in this thread is good advice. I second the rec for the Pro-tec or the Benny.

Also - try them on!!! Helmet sizes mean very little - in fact, they pretty much mean nothing except relative to other sizes of the same helmet.

One last thing - if ou're dead-set on getting a cool-looking skydiver helmet from Skysystems, I'd go with the HR2 over the Hurricane. Offers much better forehead protection. (But the Pro-tec would still be your best bet - use the money for jumps!!)
Signatures are the new black.

Thanks for the help.

It's not so much about looks as it is about size and comfort.

Pro-Tecs are huge and have a lot of padding. I've never gotten one to feel snug without it feeling abrasive. Unfortunately, the only comfortable helmets are also more expensive (I've tried helmets for different sports and I'll bet skydiving is no exception).

I don't want to feel the helmet in freefall. I want it to be a protective element that doesn't hinder the experience. I have jumped once without a helmet (forgot to bring it, rushed to the plane, will never do it again), and the feeling was amazing. Considering I don't want to die up there, I still want to have a helmet. I need one that doesn't make me feel like a bobblehead.

Another consideration is for future camera potential. While I don't plan on having a camera for a while, I do not want to have to buy another helmet when I feel I am ready to mount one. Unfortunately, Pro-Tec helmets are not available with flat surfaces. They also don't seem to be audible friendly.

I am willing to try out other helmet brands, but none of them seem to provide the type of fit I'm looking for.
Dropzones are terrible places for inspiration. What does one think when one looks up for a sign only to see a bunch of people falling?

If your going to wear a helmet you might as well get one that actually protects your head when u do stuff up. get a bell bellistic mountain bike helmet. I know of a base jumper who owes his life to one of these.

Dude, a protec actually DOES protect your head. Skydiving specific helmets do not by comparision.

Another consideration is for future camera potential. While I don't plan on having a camera for a while, I do not want to have to buy another helmet when I feel I am ready to mount one. Unfortunately, Pro-Tec helmets are not available with flat surfaces. They also don't seem to be audible friendly.

One of the best camera flyers in the sport, Ray Cottingham, uses a Pro Tec.

Ray Cottingham

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I would check out the Cookie Compsites helmets.

The new inner material is very impressive and is actually designed for pretection and comfort.

If you do the research on d30, it's hard not to be impressed.

It's not as cheap as a Protect. But I'm more concerned about protection.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Not based on my research.

It doesn't matter what helmet you mention, someone in skydiving will always say a protec is better, it's a mantra because helmets have historically offered limited protection in our sport. However, thickness counts for a lot and material is only part of the story.

I had an aerosports certified helmet with significant protection on the DZ and someone still offered the 'helpful' advice that it's not as good as a protec without a clue about the helmet.

It's not bad advice normally, but hopefully not automatically correct with companies like cookie at least trying to improve the situation.

Maybe one day you'll be able to buy a skydiving helmet that doesn't have a disclaimer on it that says [this helmet is crap for protecting against impacts], to paraphrase.

Oregon Aero offer a visco-elastic liner upgrade for the Pro-Tec and other products:

http://www.oregonaero.com/p77-2001.html#styrene

I won't be convinced about d30 until I see comparative impact G forces in a lined helmet shell vs normal pads of equivalent thickness. Getting more rigid under high loading may be a bad idea for your brain at certain impact loads. Even then a thin liner no matter what it's made of can't do better than thick foam of the right consistency but at least they're trying to address the problem.

Not based on my research.

Umm..yeah ok if you want to believe that. :S

There might be something to this d30 foam. The testing methods are a bit over the top but it seems to work.

http://dvice.com/archives/2007/10/d30-foam-allows-helmet-wearers.php

Sparky

:P

Still, some protecs are certified to certain standards while not a single skydiving helmet can claim any certification at all (to my knowledge). Which makes the protec safer in my book.

On the other hand I don't wear one as I perfer the cool theme of skydiving helmets B|

I stand by my original statement.

For those of you who want to be informed and educated, do the research.

For those who don't care,........ just keep regurgitating what you've heard from others.

And for those who are stupid and lazy,.............
keep gobbling up that which has been regurgitated.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

Are you going to share your research?

Unless someone ponies up the money to do real impact testing on skydiving helmets (not to mention coming up with test criteria), I doubt we'll ever really know what helmets provide better protection than others. But if we're just concerned with minor kicks to the head, I doubt it matters much. I'd take an untested full face over a protec if I want to avoid getting my nose broken by a foot or elbow.

Which helmet does best for a tail strike or a hard crash landing on pavement? No way of knowing... without testing.

Dave

Are you going to share your research?

Unless someone ponies up the money to do real impact testing on skydiving helmets (not to mention coming up with test criteria), I doubt we'll ever really know what helmets provide better protection than others. But if we're just concerned with minor kicks to the head, I doubt it matters much. I'd take an untested full face over a protec if I want to avoid getting my nose broken by a foot or elbow.

Which helmet does best for a tail strike or a hard crash landing on pavement? No way of knowing... without testing.

Dave

Research covers many definitions.

Poney up the money?....A calibrated accelerometer with a serial connection to a PC, swing arm pivoting under gravity, surrogate head weight, impact plate and logging software. Not necessarily expensive but there appears to be no interest, but even if you don't do impact testing you can still tell that some crappy piece of thin comfort cloth is going to be of minimal benefit.

People who can't figure this out have no business making protective headgear, but it's a free country and they do stick disclaimers on there saying "[our headgear sucks at protecting heads]".