bertusgeert

which martial art?

So if I find some time somewhere somehow, I would love to take up a martial art - for the extra fitness conditioning it would give me (which I get in a few other activities already), but especially for the discipline/mindset aspect that goes with it.
(Also, all stunt men always needs to be great at kicking the evil dude's ass)

So which martial art is the best? Do they focus on different things? Do you think they actually increase your ability to kick someone's ass?

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

You can't go wrong if you are dedicated. In the end, all martial arts reach the same point. There is a lot out there. If you want to get good fast, take mixed martial arts, Muy Thai, Boxing, Judo, BBJ. Kungfu is more of a lifestyle. Kempo is also very good. I have a hunch that somebody is going to tell you BBJ is the only art and everything else sux :ph34r:

favaks

For a workout, Judo is really good...

Considering you spend the time tossing/trying to toss another person around. be prepaired to get bruised up a little though.

just my 0.02 cents...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I started Tae-kwon-do when I was about 16...
Got a black belt a couple years later. It's known
as the kicking karate because it utilizes a lot of
legs kicks, which are harder to do and get your
entire body in shape faster.

The flexibility, strength and balance required
helped me stay healthy in several non related
physical sports. Football, Baseball, Skiing, Skydiving...

I was a full contact competitor for several years, and
always seemed to dominate all other martial art styles,
unless the opponent was a 'true' trained boxer that was
doing martial arts as a conditioning tool.

Really tough to beat someone that KNOWS how to box!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

If you want to go to the beginning of all things, then you have to study Chen style Tai Chi. Not the watered down, stand in the park and wave your arms Tai Chi, but the original combat style. Yes, combat.

If you want to survive in a bar fight, Brazilian Jujitsu is probably your best bet.

Pretty much all street and bar fights eventually end up eventually going to the ground -- either that or a weapon comes out.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

i did TKD for about 4 years when i was young and then moved on to chidokan.
Last year in thailand i spent 2 months in a thai boxing camp on the island koh samui/ Now this was intense and full on but if you can find a kick boxing school in your area you should go there. I belive that this is the best form of martial arts for strength and fitness.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I did Aikido very seriously for a few years - throws locks that kind of thing, not the most fitness focussed though but has good principles and can be very effective. Am currently doing some kung fu and that is good for the fitness and flexibility, however for pure fitness and mental toughness, i once did a combination of kickboxing (3 nights a week) and boxing (2 nights a week), and that sounds like it might suit your needs quite well - or something like BJJ as well.

For fun, and flexibility and some seriously spectacular moves however, you can't beat capoeira - check it out ;)

I have to say though, that the validity and training even in the same style can vary massively from school to school so your best option is to find all the schools in your area and go along to a few trials to see what you think you might enjoy.

Good luck
Never try to eat more than you can lift

There are 4 ranges in fighting....(It's been a while, so these may not be the "correct" terms). They are divided by distance.
Legs (Far) TKD is very good for this.
Hands (Medium) Boxing, Kendo....ect
Grapling (Close) Akido....
Wresling (Ground) Jujitsu....

The best way to train is I think work on the ground and then branch out to the farther disance styles. The theory is that while being good at stopping a guy before he gets into you is good...But if he does get by your legs, hands, ect...You had better be able to deal with him.

Wing Chun is great for an all around MA. Mind set, conditioning ect. A MA developed by a woman...VERY effective with punches locks throws ect. Concept is taking the direct line. I never found a really good school, and now don't have the time to do it now the way I would like to anymore.

I did Brazilian Jujitsu and it is a quite effective MA for fighting. Most of this training was in the Military...Very good for fighting since most real fights end up on the ground.

I have a BB in TKD...Good for exersise...Not very combat effective. Plus I have seen TKD BB pull punches in a fight...You execute what you trained...So if you are going to go into a striking art...Go full contact. But it looks cool, so if you want high kicks to look pretty, its not bad.

Did Boxing many years ago to work on my hands. Did Kick boxing to learn to put power behind my kicks and not pull them.

Did Akido...I liked it, but it is difficult to learn and harder to use it correctly.

I would take Brazilian Jujitsu, or Wing Chun if I had the time.

If you want the midset...Wing Chun, or Tai Chi Chun.
Combat...Wing Chun, or Jujitsu.
Flash...TKD.

All will give you exercise.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I have done Karate, Tae Kwan Do, Judo, Jujitsu, Tai chi, Pa Kau, and Kung Fu. By far I learned the most taking Kung Fu - it does start getting into eastern religion after you advance. They combined the best elements of all the disciplines as well as mixed in things such as kick boxing, gymnastics, etc. Then there are different styles such as mantis, tiger, monkey, and also many different weapons such as the sword and staff. I remember doing things such as 1.5 hour head stands while being swatted at with a bamboo stick, racing back and forth the room on your hands, spending an afternoon learning to take a fall off a one story building, and doing bare knuckle push ups on concrete until you bleed. The physical and mental intensity of the trianing was unmatched, but truly excel it has to become a way of life.

I have a hunch that somebody is going to tell you BBJ is the only art and everything else sux

I was thinking the same thing. :D

----------------------------------

Ron gave some excellent advise.

Also, do a search on this site, you'll find a few other threads where you can find some good advise.

If you're just getting into martial arts for the first time, do a little research and find the one that looks the most bad-ass to you. You'll train harder and have a lot more fun if you're really into what you're learning. Most schools offer at least one free lesson to check out their school, go to a few local places and sit in on a few classes. If you go to at least 2 - 3 schools in your area, I'm sure that you'll find at least one that you'd like to get into. Have fun.

- John