Jkralovec

Can you bring a rig on a commercial airplane?

Thanks!

But do you carry on or check?

I'd hate to have my plane get ready to crash and my rig be in cargo :(

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=744630#744630

:ph34r: search function is a friend! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks!

But do you carry on or check?

I'd hate to have my plane get ready to crash and my rig be in cargo :(

Carry on at least one rig, jumpsuit, helmet, and altimeter in a gear bag.

When the airline looses the rest of your luggage, you stop by someplace like Target for toiletries and clean boxers.

When the airline looses your skydiving equipment, your vacation may be over (gotta have gear to jump) or ruined (while you might be able to rent student gear, that wouldn't be much fun).

With the gear bag, people can't accidentally pull a rip cord, spill anything on it, or get upset (after which the pilot can require your rig to go down with baggage).

Short answer: No

Long answer: No, but be discrete

Longer answer: No, but be discrete and don't act like an asshat and intentionally set your audible off in the cabin (like some other poster did and then thought he'd come on here and laugh about it).

Even I'm confused now. Your overwhelming number of 'no' responses directly contradict the 20+ flights i've made carrying my rig on my back...
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

Short answer: No

Long answer: No, but be discrete

Longer answer: No, but be discrete and don't act like an asshat and intentionally set your audible off in the cabin (like some other poster did and then thought he'd come on here and laugh about it).

Even I'm confused now. Your overwhelming number of 'no' responses directly contradict the 20+ flights i've made carrying my rig on my back...

the question asked was if there's anything that can prevent a rig from being allowed on a commercial flight.

the answer was NO, nothing can prevent it from beign allowed, but don't but an asshat about it.

double negative=positive

Several flights lately with no problems carrying it in a small gear bag and then stowing it in an overhead compartment. I've even forgotten about the metal hook knife attached to a leg strap and it too passed TSA screeners.

I have also seen several people on Delta flights actually carry their parachutes on their back to the plane and then into the overhead compartment. I wouldn't do that because of the possibility of a handle getting pulled accidental.
Dano

~the possibility of a handle getting pulled accidental.

Quick FYI:

I travel quite a bit with a rig, and always tie down the reserve handle.

I use to just wrap an orange pull-up around the MLW through the handle several times and tie it with a big bow...but these days, I've made up a Velcro band that serves the same purpose with a big red 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' sign on it.

Yes, my reserve had been pulled during a secondary inspection once, which is why I secure it now.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I have flown with my rig many times, always in a gear bag and almost never a problem. Most recently I was asked to open the main tray so that it could be inspected. Leave extra time and carry a pull up chord, and when they start asking questions you have to play it cool.

Is there anything in a standard rig (including AAD) that would not allow it to be carried on a commercial flight?

not including my hook knife, obviously.

I carry my rig on almost all of my commercial flights.

You're paying to get on that jump plane arent you? So I guess we all carry our rigs on... well, hopefully.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>Is there anything in a standard rig (including AAD) that would not
>allow it to be carried on a commercial flight?

Sure, the pilot. I was flying to Quincy one year and the pilot said "no parachutes in the cabin, period!" Other potential problems are clueless TSA agents, or TSA agents that follow the letter of the law and demand that you open the reserve so they can inspect it.

However, I usually don't have a problem. I've checked my gear a bunch of times and carried it on a bunch of times and 99% of the time don't have an issue.

Is there anything in a standard rig (including AAD) that would not allow it to be carried on a commercial flight?

not including my hook knife, obviously.

I've only been bothered once with my rig, and it was the one time I had to ditch the rolly bag I usually keep it in and carried it on my back through security (I had to check something on that I purchased on my trip in that rolly bag.) So, IMO carrying it out in the open is begging to attract more attention from the TSA. It was last month in Philly when they had to pull me aside and get everybody and their mother to come inspect, look, swab, and gawk at my rig. I had to open the tray up, and they even swabbed over my reserve pin which made me a little nervous with them tinkering under my reserve flap. They must have ran it through xray 100 times.

I try to keep my cypress card on me as well as all the documents available for printing from the USPA and TSA website that says you are allowed to carry on a sport parachute rig.

One more tid bit to note about the cypres, though I am sure it's mentioned somewhere in other threads-- this last trip to Cross Keys I was jumping the morning and leaving that afternoon. The friend I was jumping and traveling with reminded me it was a good idea to turn your cypres back off before getting on a commercial flight. I was so caught up in travel and the long day at the dz that I totally forgot, not to mention it had been so long since I turned off a cypres that I just about forgot how to do it!

So, A.) always kept in a bag, B.) take your hook knife off so that doesn't catch securities eye and, C.) make sure you have that card and all of your documents with you. Following all of that I never had a problem with TSA or security.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Sure, the pilot.

You keep a pilot in your rig? That's hardly standard. :P

On a more serious note, I have been asked to check my rig at LAX. On reflection, it was probably my hook knife that caused concern, but I almost never use it, so I forget that it's there and the TSA staff who wanted me to open it up were entirely unhelpful in describing what they saw or where on the rig it was. You would do well to carry your gear on in a gear bag, because if you are forced to check it, you'll wish that you had a bag to check it in.

I guess it is hit or miss, I flew Southwest out of Philly back to Big D in August after a weekend at Cross Keys. They had a fire drill at the time and would not let anyone unto the concourse until it was over with. I had my rig in a Eagle Creek Switchback rollaboard and put it though the x-ray and grabbed it at the end of the line. I had the front backpack ( which held my jumpsuits etc), unzipped and sent it through separately with my helmet bag. They didn't say boo or stop me or nothing. I just grabbed the bags and left for the gate.