TypicalFish

This Is Spinal Tap

I just watched this movie for maybe the 5th time have to say it is STILL one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen. (Especially given that "Behind the Music" is one of my guilty pleasures)

Pure comedic genius. Not to be missed if you haven't caught it.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

The only thing that made it better with the release of the DVD was the audio commentary - it had me laughing so hard I was crying.

"...very soothing, like rubbing the belly of a parrot" - who knows why I think that's funny (perhaps because my mom has a parrot... and it's the furthest thing from soothing EVER)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Don't be afraid of death,
be afraid of the unlived life.

Classic movie!:D:D:D
When I first saw it, I was 16, and thought it was a real documentary about a really bad band who had the worst luck!:S
I have probably watched it 10 times since.
I found this on the web:
"In 1991, before its triumphant return to the road to support "Break Like the Wind," Tap placed a classified ad in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter announcing auditions: "Drummer died, need new one. Must have no immediate family. Auditions October 31 L.A. Coliseum. RSVP." Four hundred drummers phoned about the ad and 50 auditioned, including Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees, Mick Fleetwood (wearing a fire-retardant suit), Debbie Peterson of the Bangles, Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction and Gina Schock of the Go-Gos. (MST; TS) As to why Ric Shrimpton won the seat rather than Fleetwood, David explained, "Mick showed fear. You can't have that."
Brilliant!:D:D

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

When I first saw it, I was 16, and thought it was a real documentary about a really bad band who had the worst luck!

Now I don't feel so bad... I thought it was about a real band the first time I saw it too... but at least I was only 13. :P I went to a record store and asked if they had any Spinal Tap records... The guy asked if I meant the soundtrack, so I figured it out right then and just said "yeah, the soundtrack"... :$

"Certainly, in the topsy-turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is often useful." :D

Peter "James" Bond replaced Eric "Stumpy Joe" Childs on drums in 1974 before he spontaneously combusted at the Isle of Lucy Jazz-Blues festival. No, Stumpy Joe actually died when he choked on vomit, and they never figured out whose vomit it was.

And as for Mick Fleetwood, he filled in on a few occasions for them. David St. Hubbins said that, although Fleetwood was a bit "wobbled at the knees" he should be, because Tap was an early influence on Fleetwood Mac, and FM used to open for them at clubs.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Too funny....I'm watching it right now (for the third or fourth time) and here you are!

One of my favorite lines - "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever." But there are so many great ones....
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Remember after the band landed in New York and they were driving to a gig in Philadelphia?...The guys wanted to know why they weren't booked in NY and the agent said "Well, New York isn't a big music town."

"They were still booing him when we came onstage."

"We had a Stonehenge in danger of being crushed by a dwarf!"

"Can you record it in dubly?"

PUPPET SHOW and SPINAL TAP

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:,
Jon

"Well, New York isn't a big music town."

"We were cancelled in Boston, but don't worry, it's not a big college town."

"Love to stay and talk, but we have to go sit in the lobby and wait for the limo."

Big fight about this movie this weekend. One of us still thinks it's funny. The other one thought it was sad because there actually are people like that out there.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

The other one thought it was sad because there actually are people like that out there.

Sad? 100 percent of all musicians who have toured or put out an album have had experiences identified in the film.

The movie is so funny because it is so dead on accurate.

I especially like watching it with someone who's never seen it, and love that point where they finally get it.

There are more good lines and context in this film than almost any other I've seen . . .

"Let's go, mime is money!"

"It's time to kick arse!"

"That's from Spinal Tap, currently residing in the where are they now file."

NickD :)BASE 194

Some people I've watched it with never "get it."

So much of the movies are truly inside digs. Zeppelin seemed to be a favorite target. Rahter than play the guitar solo with a violin bow, like Jimmy Page, he played the guitar with a violin (actually stopping midway through the solo to tune the violin)

The Stonehenge bit was all based upon a stage prop used by Zeppelin during a concert in Seattle in 1977. Zeppelin had a big Stonehenge prop.

Some of the other musical jokes are pretty subtle. When Nigel falls back and can't get up, it was a dig on his Les Paul Gold Top guitar. Those things are really heavy, as far as guitars go.

"The Gospel According to Spinal Tap" bore a remarkable resemblance to Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" cover.

Nigel also accused Jeff Beck of copying his hair style.

The continuous deaths of drummers. The list goes on...

So much of the movies are truly inside digs. Zeppelin seemed to be a favorite target...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Such as the double-neck bass. When did you ever see a double-neck bass?:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I like the three bass players in the song "Big bottom."

Jon S.