skymama

Video Games and Kids

Pitfall...that was a seriously mature game. The little dude used to get eaten by gators...then again you're in FL so I guess its normal.

Pitfall.....I remember playing that at my friends house on collecovision (spel)....never did beat it...sorta had the early version of the Halo2 parties going on back in the 70's:(

damn I'm getting old....:S

do you know the details of the McDonalds lady lawsuit? i thought it was stupid too....but then i read the details in one of my law classes. I dont have the case with me, but reading all the facts of the case really made it seem a lot less frivolous than everyone thinks....

Here is some info on the case:

http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Actually has anyone found an E exit ???

There are a few in the desert. One is when you cross Sherman Dam to the east. The road bends left to the north. Directly in front of you is a tall rock that can be jumped (gotta get there by hovering aircraft).

Also, there's a rock arch structure near Area 69 (to the west). But I'm not sure if that should be an E or an S.

And I think there's a spot where you can jump Mt. Chiliad.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

Naw, pacman lead kids to popping pills and chasing flashy/shiney objects trying to eat them.

You forgot 'running in circles in the dark with repetitve electronic music' :)
There's a lot of places for an 'E Exit' on Mt Chilliad

To the original point... kids minds are more impressionable. Hell, most adults have a hard time seperating reality from video games if they play them enough. It is the parent's responsibilty to watch what their kids are doing. Play the games with them! You'll see what they're doing, you get some bonding time, and your kids will think you're cool if you can beat them at it :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Now, to actually make an on-topic post:

I agree to the extent that some kids are really that screwed up in the head and no amount of parenting will help. Not all kids are like that though. Most, if not all, kids are impressionable. The more you expose kids, and the younger the kid, to violent video games, movies, etc..., then the more of a negative impact there is. Keeping M-rated video games from children is just a part of the bigger picture of raising your kids right.

But this is all just the opinion of someone who doesn't have kids. But I do have a neice, 14, and a nephew, 11.

--Art

In Reply To
do you know the details of the McDonalds lady lawsuit? i thought it was stupid too....but then i read the details in one of my law classes. I dont have the case with me, but reading all the facts of the case really made it seem a lot less frivolous than everyone thinks....

Here is some info on the case:

http://www.stellaawards.com/stella.html

Hmm still sounds frivolous to me. Still sounds like going to Sears and buying yourself a handsaw, then going home and cutting your arm off with it and then sueing Sears for not putting some sort of safety mechanism on it. You know it's dangerous, don't do it.

On the other hand, most people, myself included, don't know how hot coffee is "supposed" to be kept. I just normally wait cause it's too hot to drink, but I had no idea it was served that close to the boiling point. So on that note, the required label was appropriate.

Naw, pacman lead kids to popping pills and chasing flashy/shiney objects trying to eat them.

Ah, you just explained why I turned out to be such a psycho... the one thing I never thought of - Pacman! Damn that little yellow dude! :S:D

Actually, this subject is something I've been thinking about lately - the effect of violence in the media on children. I have a psychology paper to write, and one of the subjects is whether I think violence in the media causes children to act more aggressively, whether the media should be censored for violence, and if so by whose standards... So I have been reading a lot of research studies, and I have come to the conclusion that yes it does encourage aggressive behavior in children (of course, more so in kids who are predisposed to violence)... Now I do not like the idea of the government censoring anything really, so I think it is the responsibility of the parents... But in reality I know that a large number of parents do no accept such responsibility, so that really does nothing to fix the problem...

So I am pretty much stumped on the answer to that question...

Yeah, I'd have to say that she's more than 20% at fault. Maybe the other way around (she's 80% and McDonalds is 20%). She spilled the coffee on herself. She has to take blame for that.

But, I do think their coffee is served way too hot. I know I've burned my tongue more than once. It's like you said; you have to wait before you can drink it.

--Art

There's a list in the paper today about the 10 most violent video games based off excessive violence, racial profiling and brutality toward women. I'm just wondering what you guys think. They are:

Doom 3
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Gunslinger Girls, Vol. 2
Half-life 2
Halo 2
Hitman:Bloody Money
Manhunt
Mortal Kombat: Deception
Postal 2
Shadow Heart
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Never heard of Shadow Heart, but Postal 2 was hilarious. Even though I'm a cat lover, being able to use a cat as a silencer was really funny, not to mention the raining cats on the last day.

I was never barred from playing any video games, but I was one of the very few kids in school that weren't allowed to watch Popeye, or Tom & Jerry or Bugs Bunny cause of violence and cause Tom used to smoke when his buddies came over.

:D You said it.

When I saw that list, my first reaction was: "Cool, a list of good games to buy" :)

--Art

Doom 3 = EXCELLENT Game
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas = Cool game, Haven't play it tho'
Gunslinger Girls, Vol. 2 = Hmmmmm...not seen it yet
Half-life 2 = Finished the game and I demand a refund
Halo 2 = Crude imitation of Quake 3
Hitman:Bloody Money = Not my kind of game
Manhunt = Haven't seen it yet
Mortal Kombat: Deception = Another fight game, I'll stick to the original
Postal 2 = Hmmmmmm...seen better
Shadow Heart = Haven't seen it.

I have the first two, Doom 3 and GTA: SA. I got them close in time to each other and haven't played much of D3. A little though. I've played a lot of the GTA: SA (and the previous two).

I'd have to say that GTA is more adult than D3. If D3 is like what I've seen so far and like the previous versions, then it's just running around on Mars shooting aliens. It's definately violent, but not sexual.

GTA, on the other hand, has a lot of sexual inuendo and just flat out sex for that matter. You don't see the "good" stuff but you see the car rock when you're with a hooker and you hear sex noises when with your girlfriend. And, there's the violence. Plus, the gratuitious use of F-bombs and the N-word.

D3 has a lot of violence, but overall it's not as bad as GTA. I think if more parents actually realized what you could do in GTA, less kids would be playing it.

Personally, I think kids should not be playing M-rated games. Adults should be allowed to play whatever they want.

--Art

skymama.. i have a good friend right now in the process of workingon a nice wholesome video game...ah good old football........ when nfl2005 comes out it will be the first video game i've bought since i bought super mario brothers 3 for my Nintendo (original system).... way back then it was all nice "cartoon" violence... now adays it is so relistic looking sometimes........... not sure what i'mgona do when i have kids and have to decide whatto let them play..... guess it all deends on when they learn what is real life and what is a game......

Does computer games afeected kids???

I don't think so!

Here the explanation why:

In the street where I life, are living also two boys, age of 14. Both out of good families. The One is a nice, helpfull and has a great eager for knowledge. The other is shortly said a stupid ashole. The first boy I listed is playing Doom, Unreal Tournament and Halflife2, the other has no computer at all. S I don't think that computer games affected kids.

If they really do, we "the pac man generation" must sit in darkned rooms, listen to psycedelic music and eating munching magic pills all day long!

So think about it!

The only rings that are worth wearing, are those of my 3-ring-system!!!

Actually has anyone found an E exit ???

there's a number of points where you can ride a motorcycle as fast as you can off a cliff and just as you leave the ground jump off the bike. You have just enough time to get some 'silk' out... but you can leave the breaks stowed.;)

I've not found anywhere yet that you could do on foot but then I've not really looked too hard. Too buisy driving round shooting people.