GARYC24

Indoor Rock Climbing

Shit...never been there....but I always look at it like a UK jumper looks at Californians for Perris...you live next door to a fantastic place ....DO IT you are stoopid not to
Might do more than poke my nose in the door this weeekend

Gary be sure to practice doing some lead belaying inside with some one watching you before heading outside.

PS I don't know all what all the 5.8, stuff means yet..

You'll learn, trust me, you'll learn.

Kelly, I love how you rotated the pictures to make those routes look harder:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I sure know its not about arm strength... But on my :Dtime on the wall, that's all I managed to do... Will certainly get better with time...

Thanks for the advice.

Sexist (pro woman climber) comment here -

try to climb with women at first, since many can't rely on doing pullups, so you get to see better form right off. New male climbers can get away with muscling it early on so can take longer to learn good technique. Alternatively, pay a lot of attention to good climbers of similar physical builds as yourself. There is some strength aspect to it - that'll come in time. But most is technique and balance and planning ahead.

not so sexist comments;

If you turn out good at it, still take it easy. Just because you can do the 5.10s right away doesn't mean you should. Tendons and ligament need to strengthen and they take much longer (months) than muscles (days to weeks). It's easy to overdo it at first.

Keep your arms straight as much as you can - load the tendons so the muscles don't get tired - else you'll wear out earlier than your friends and end up the 'belay monkey' for the rest of the workout.

other stuff....

cool pics on jg's website - I forget to take my harness off when bouldering too.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I just started climbing at The Warehouse, conveniently located about a 10 minute walk from my house. Just doing top roping stuff at the moment but I'm really loving it. It's a great sport for gear heads ;). There seem to be about a million grading systems out there so I don't really know what this means but I can do a handful of the 6a's.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I never really liked climbing walls, but there is a list of Scottish indoor ones here, if anyone is ever stuck, due to weather....
http://www.indoorclimbing.com/scotland.html

We also have indoor ice climbing...way cool!
http://www.ice-factor.co.uk/ice-climbing.html
:):)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

man, do you have a couch to crash on if I come to London ???

Of course.......

Nice.. Thanks...

the place I go is the biggest in the french speaking part of Switz... 13m high, 500sq meters, more than 100 ways...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM