Viking

What color shirt goes with Khaki pants?

Obviously if you're applying for something in Legal, a suit is required on the interview. It's just expected.

Since it's healthcare we're talking about, a suit isn't that important; just like you wouldn't expect to be going to a formal cocktail party if you're applying for an IT position.

I've screened candidates before when adding people onto my programming teams and I've ALWAYS been suspicious of guys in suits. I don't know why but it just bugs me... like they are hiding something.

And in my case, it doesn't matter really what you are wearing. When I was asked to screen candidates for the boss (she would never make time for it) I just kept a legal pad in my desk full of questions and notes I typically ask and I may look up at the individual I'm interviewing a few times because I concentrating on what he/she is saying, not what they look like.

Some things I've done when interviewing people (that they don't notice):
- Watch how many "pause words" they use in their speech. (Uuuuugh, yeah, ooooohh, okaaaay, etc)
- Look to see if they are trying to answer a question the way you want the question to be answered, or if they're being truthful about their knowledge and skills. (I'm sneaky I have several ways of identifying the kiss-up :)- Probe the person to see how opinionated they are. If the job is higher-level, I tend to prefer more agressive people in those positions... if its a junior programmer, I lean toward someone docile or less has less experience.

I've also brought in contractors and new hires just from phone interviews ALONE (no formal face-to-face) before and they all turned out to be great people. I actually prefer the phone interview over the face-to-face because it's so spur-of-the-moment and you catch somebody in their normal behavior, not after they've spent hours preening themselves in the mirror and talking to themself on the drive over to the office.

So if you think you should go for a suit, wear the suit. Maybe you could spice things up a bit and not look so formal by wearing a Spongebob or a skydiving tie.

:)

I agree that it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed in an interview. No one has mentioned socks. Make sure they match your pants, not your shoes. So many men make that mistake! Also, make sure the socks are long enough so that none of your bare leg shows when you sit down. If you have to borrow a pair from your dad, do it!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I agree that it is always better to be overdressed than underdressed in an interview. No one has mentioned socks. Make sure they match your pants, not your shoes. So many men make that mistake! Also, make sure the socks are long enough so that none of your bare leg shows when you sit down. If you have to borrow a pair from your dad, do it!

LMAO...a male friend from here (DZ.com) PMed me with that very question the other day! :P I thought that it was pretty cool that he was paying attention to little details like that. Most men don't notice things like that.

It's always a good idea to distinguish yourself in a professional setting where business suits are a dime a dozen. One way to do that is to skip the white dress shirt and go with a blue dress shirt with a white collar. Add a solid gold tie with a well tied half-winsor knot and you should make a good impression, good luck.

Just kidding.... With a black or very dark grey suit and a white shirt, you can wear any color tie, but stick with ties that arent too wild. People swear by red ties....... I like them too, but others too...

white shirt, black tie ?? Thats for the fed's, or for funerals... We don't even have black ties anymore in the Swiss Army.

Ties are the reflection of personality. Show you dare, show you have imagination, show you are a classy original.

No, don't show you dare wear a thin black leather tie.. Even worse, a wooden tie.[:/]:o
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Most men don't notice things like that.

Hmmmm...............maybe I should rethink my sock choices. Yes......all mine are either black or white. I think I have one pair that is black with some tan checkering. I guess I have been making this same fashion faux pas for years and was clueless. :D Hmmm.....maybe I need to take Rosa with me the next time I go shopping.