SkydiveNFlorida

Ever heard of Rose-Hulman Inst. of Technology?

Does anyone reside near this area? (Terre Haute, IN)

The school looks very good, and it is listed on the top five engineering schools where M.S. is highest degree by US News. I am wondering how bad life would be if I moved to this area? Is this a town of nothingness? Would my boyfriend be able to find a job near here? (IT unix, sun, etc)
And, are there any decent dzs in driving distance?

I have already been accepted into this school for Fall '05, but I don't need to decide until June 1st. I have other applications in warmer climates, but I want to hear about this school/place if anyone knows.

Thanks!
-A

Does anyone reside near this area? (Terre Haute, IN)

The school looks very good, and it is listed on the top five engineering schools where M.S. is highest degree by US News. I am wondering how bad life would be if I moved to this area? Is this a town of nothingness? Would my boyfriend be able to find a job near here? (IT unix, sun, etc)
And, are there any decent dzs in driving distance?

I have already been accepted into this school for Fall '05, but I don't need to decide until June 1st. I have other applications in warmer climates, but I want to hear about this school/place if anyone knows.

Thanks!
-A

I think the school holds a fairly good reputation, but this is just remembering from way back when I was applying to colleges back in '95. I think Terre Haute is a decent sized city with some industry so I'm sure your man could find work. But then again, it is Indiana... the richmond boogie wouldn't be so far but then again it is Indiana. So, I guess if you can deal with Indiana, go for it. Go Colts!

It was my second-choice school, but I decided to go to Harvey Mudd College instead. I thought, Los Angeles area with an all women's college right across the street (Scripps) vs all-male engineering school in Terre Haute. Hmmm... didn't have to think about that one too long.;)

My little sister is going there now and loves it. I don't want to know why.

But, definitely a very good school. Terre Haute looked like it sucks, though. I think Indianapolis is only about an hour away.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

I don't know shit about Indiana.... So, why the "It IS Indiana.." reference? I am guessing this is not just about the freezing weather. Enlighten me:P

Ahegeman, What is your little sister studying?
Harvey-Mudd, eh? I'll look that one up. Sounds like you enjoyed your experience there. I want to get into a school that is not just theory, but practice. One that also has good co-ops, etc. I don't want to get out of school with a Chem Engineering degree and no idea how to use it.

Thanks guys,
-A

Computer Engineering. I don't know if that's an actual separate degree program, but that's what she studying. I don't think she spends much time in Terre Haute.

Harvey Mudd is a GREAT school, but its a bitch to get through. BS only. Even though something like 40% (when I went, its like 25% now) of incoming students are National Merit Scholars, and the average SAT score is 1450, 30% of students fail a class while they're there. My class started with 180 students, but only about 120 graduated. Its not for the faint of heart. I barely scraped though, and I thought I was pretty smart. That place thoroughly disabused me of that foolish notion.

Mudd screwed themselves on the US News rankings. They used to classified as an "Engineering College", and typically battled with Rose-Hulman for the top spot in that category. For some odd reason they decided they wanted to be called a liberal arts college, even though everyone there majors in either Engineering, Computer Science, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, or Physics. They don't fare as well in that category, but are still in the top 20.

Oh, the Engineering major is a little different there. Its a generalized program - you take classes in systems, materials, chemical, mechanical, etc ad nauseum, though you can of course concentrate in a specific field with your electives. As far as I know, its the only accredited 4-year generalized engineering degree in the country. Definitely a unique perspective.

Since you got into Rose-Hulman, you should stand a good chance of getting into Mudd.

www.hmc.edu

Good luck on your college hunt!:)
--Dave Barry

http://www.tribstar.com/articles/2004/12/12/community/valley%20voices/val01.txt

--Mayor William Brighton issued a formal invitation to comedian Steve Martin to return to Terre Haute for two "fun-filled" days. The invitation followed Martin's remarks in Playboy magazine that Terre Haute was "the most nowhere place in America."

Martin accepted the invitation and found Terre Haute to be "a somewhere." The first stop on the tour was the Shuffle Inn from where Martin, Brighton and three busloads of media representatives drove to City Hall where Martin was given a key to the city. Stops also were made at C.F. Industries, Smiley's Jiffy Car Wash and Jones and Bezy John Deere Tractor Sales.

The comedian Emo Phillips was once on a Chicago radio show accepting phone calls from listeners. The caller would always be asked where they were calling from. When one caller responded "Indiana", Emo replied:

"Indiana? Oh, yeah...I was in Indiana once...It was part of a sensory-deprivation experiment."

I was a Westerner who was born and raised in IN by mistake, and finally corrected that error 8 years ago. Therefore, I feel entitled to bash IN. :)
I interviewed at R-H when I was choosing a college. I'll put it like this: There is NOTHING there to distract you from your studies. (I ended up going to Purdue, which at least had a few women.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Thanks, everyone! I am still trying to figure out which other schools to apply to. I am finding that I may have too many credits for some schools (Berkeley?), I hope not, I guess it depends on what they consider "Transferrable". Unfortunately, they pretty much say they won't answer that :S. I just dropped one course next semester, but I will still come out with 86 credits at the end of next semester. So, I have to hope that 7 of those are non-transferrable.

As far as life in Indiana, I was kinda worried about the lack of it. I don't think I really want to be in the middle of nowhere, but once I find out what schools i've been accepted to I will make trips around the country to visit them and speak with counselors, etc. I am also concerned about Financial Aid, Rose-Hulman is very expensive.

-A

Oh my goodness! You've been accepted?!?! It's a great school, and I'm very impressed!!!

First of all, what do you mean by "near"? It varies for everyone. I will be the bearer of bad news: Terre Haute does suck. :S But, Rose-Hulman is such a terrific school!!!

You'll be a little over three hours away from SDC! :)

Other than that, Richmond is a little over two hours away, and Indianapolis is about an hour away. You could live in between Terre Haute and Indy if you wanted to, and you and your bf could each have a half hour drive.

I hope you choose Rose-Hulman for selfish reasons, but good luck in deciding which school is right for you!

Congrats!!!!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Rose Hulman is an excellent undergraduate engineering school. I think it ranked at the top of the US News list for undergrad only engineering schools, in fact.

Be aware that most of the top engineering schools overall are ranked on account of their research, which has precious little to do with undergraduate education.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I used to date a guy who graduated from Rose-Hulman. He was happy with the education and never had any trouble with his carreer after college. Thats about all I know about it.
I've worked in Terre Haute for a short period of time. You should make wonderful grades in school because theres not much to do there at all.
There are dz's in Indiana, and Terre Haute is not far from a lot of dz's within weekend trip distance.
Doesnt sound like a bad gig.. congrats on your acceptance! Thats great!

That's a good point. The professors at schools like Rose are there because they want to teach. Your classes would be taught by the professor, not a teaching assistant.
--Dave Barry

Don't think it's named for a chick. Matter of fact, it was an all-male school until '95. I am not sure how I feel about that right yet.

Nothing different, just lots of brand spanking new female showers and latrines. It was nice being an upperclassman at VMI when the first females were coming through. There weren't any females on our floor to use the bathrooms so they were ours. Having doors on the bathroom stalls was a relative luxury for us.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Rose Hulman is an excellent undergraduate engineering school. I think it ranked at the top of the US News list for undergrad only engineering schools, in fact.

Be aware that most of the top engineering schools overall are ranked on account of their research, which has precious little to do with undergraduate education.

Those are good points! I didn't think much about the rankings divided amongst undergrad vs ph.d schools. Thanks for your reply.

Val, maybe i'll end up there. I will have to convince Rory first! :D

-A

I won't Lie to you, Indiana will be tough coming from Florida. But you will have SDC, Skydive Greensburg (who are adding a Super Otter to their Caravan and 206 next season, and my home DZ), Richmond, and you'll be able to trip and fall onto Rantoul for the WFFC. That has to be worth something right there.

-MD

......on the other hand, it's zero degrees here right now.