AggieDave

The world of travel trailers (questions)

Our recent trip to Florida has made me really get motivated about travel trailers, I think its a sign of me getting old...anyways, I've spent the past 2 hours trolling around the web looking at used prices, options and basically getting a crash course in whats out there.

Has any of yall ever had something like this: http://www.rvstationonline.com/detail.asp?id=382

Its a travel trailer with a utility ramp, specially designed to haul motorcycles and such. So I could put my scooter in the trailer and pull it all with on trips (and when Morgan gets her motorcycle that'll fit as well...barely).

Also, do any of yall have any experience with popup tent trailers? They seem like a very easy and fairly fuel efficient thing to pull, but what about the durability? Do they tend to leak more?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also, do any of yall have any experience with popup tent trailers? They seem like a very easy and fairly fuel efficient thing to pull, but what about the durability? Do they tend to leak more?

We've owned 3 popups over the years. I can't recall any leak issues. The bed sections are essentially very heavily constructed canvas tents. If the camper is very old or poorly maintained leaks can be an issue.

AD

Me thinks you back must still be hurting from florida and your looking for some relief.

Have you considered a PU with a shell over the bed (cots)and a utility trailer for hauling the bikes and other stuff.

In some states the annual property taxs on a travel trailer can be pricey. and you got that big box sitting out in the weather year round.

we've seen some popup trailers that can be very nice with bathrooms kitchens etc & have a hard top so water leaks aren't a problem but if your towing the pop up (minimum wind resistence:).

Never had either just big tents and cots 3 weeks at z hills no problem.

R.I.P.

Its a travel trailer with a utility ramp, specially designed to haul motorcycles and such. So I could put my scooter in the trailer and pull it all with on trips (and when Morgan gets her motorcycle that'll fit as well...barely).

"Toy haulers" are what those trailors are called. rv's for the younger crowd that are into atv's and such. The Rampagers and the Tailgators seem to be the most popular. I personally would go for one of these over a regular travel trailer because they are very versitale. Hauling bikes. If not, mobile mini para-loft, holds a lot more people if its too cold to party outside. ect, ect. I've been browsing around at these trailers for a while now and there's so many models out there that you can find one that fits you easily. rv.net is the best source of info I can find.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The popups aren't bad, but even the best canvas will dry-rot and leak. In my opinion, a hardside is a better choice.

I'm checking out the trailer page you mentioned, and I'm not seeing where the bikes would go - I'm guessing in the floorspace at the back?

Ah, found a floorplan - the bikes would end up in the dinette area, looks like. Another thought with that particular model is the slide out bunk in the front. I've slept in the old-style popups before, where the bunks are extended out from the main body of the trailer, and guys our size tend to make things.....flex, shall we say? The same sort of thing comes into play on any sort of suspended bed.

Another point - how comfortable are you with leaving the bikes out anywhere you end up camping so you can sleep?

I've seen several trailers like this where the cargo area is enclosed - I'll see what I can find and throw some links your way.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You know, if you ask me at the DZ I can tell you more than you want to know. Since I own a fifth wheel, as a kid we did the camper shell, rented rv's, did tents, pop ups, etc. and have done a lot of researching the in recent years.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

You know, if you ask me at the DZ I can tell you more than you want to know. Since I own a fifth wheel, as a kid we did the camper shell, rented rv's, did tents, pop ups, etc. and have done a lot of researching the in recent years.

I was planning on it, it just hadn't come up because I hadn't even begun to research it until tonight during the "I can't sleep" hours.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

AD,

Our pilot just got a a little guy trailer and it is sweet. The Sport model can haul bikes and I believe either it or the Deluxe can be outfitted with a pony keg and exterier tap. We all decided that that was the way to go to a Boogie. Small enough inside that a minimal heater (hell, a large light bulb!) would easily keep you toasty and it is so aerodynamic you would have minimum wind resistance on the road.

Might not be for what you are looking, but it's always nice to know your options.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

This is my old travel trailer that's still sitting at Westex Skysports near Midland, TX. It's 45 years old and has seen better days, so it's not really mobile at this point, but it served me really well for a couple of really good years.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Any idea what they cost?

Sorry, not a clue. Unfortunately I spent the whole time I was looking at it wondering if I could fit something bigger than a pony keg in there. I like the picture of the Rascal being towed by a motorcycle. Now that's efficiency.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

I really don't know jack about trailers, but that little guy trailer would be great for my wife and I. I drive a Focus ZX3, and normally when I drive to other DZs/boogies/whatever, I just fold the seats down and sleep in the trunk/back seat area. That thing actually looks pretty comfortable. Throw in the side mount propane grill, and it's a great small boogie vehicle that probably won't hurt my gas mileage much. Five to six grand does seem like a lot for something that small, however. Especially since I am broke and unemployed. Still cool though.

Mike