Strong Dual Hawk Tandem ALS Bag: sew velcro closed or not?

Why do people sew them ? and whats Strong people say about that ? I guess i don't know the issue...

If you have ever packed a strong tandem with a non-sewn bag you would understand why you want them sewn. The bags are complete bullshit when they are not sewn. Once the velcro wears down the bags barely stay closed so it has to be replaced once every 100-200 jumps where you could just sew the bags shut.

I have seen a number of bags that ..... have also been modified to only have a single flap, i.e., standard bag on any other gear. they look much easier to work with.

You mean they have removed one of the 2 flaps, thereby removing the added safety of securely stowed lines? Not a good idea! Ask Strong Enterprises.

You mean they have removed one of the 2 flaps, thereby removing the added safety of securely stowed lines? Not a good idea! Ask Strong Enterprises.

Right - it's not a good idea. The ALS flap does it's job well and isn't hard to work with. Removing it is a lousy and dangerous idea, IMO.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

that is correct.

I make no comment as to the right or wrong of it just that I have seen it. I would not make that modification myself but know of a couple of places that have bags like that and they have not had a problem with it when I asked about the bags when I first saw them.

why don't any of the other manufacturers use an ALS bag?
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

why don't any of the other manufacturers use an ALS bag?

I'll try to give you the short version using one other rig as an example. If anyone has details about some of the other rigs, please chime in.

The Tandem Vector (UPT) uses another method to prevent slumping lines, which is, less force, due to the drogue being partially collapsed before it pulls the bag out.

"why don't any of the other manufacturers use an ALS bag?

"

Other manufacturers have developed other solutions to the line dump problem. Most solutions involve more rubber bands, stronger rubber bands or rubber bands closer together.

UPT uses double-wide rubber bands on Sigma Tandems .. triple-wide rubber bands on military tandems.
Eclipse uses an extra row of rubber bands, down the middle of the d-bag.
Racer uses two rows of locking rubber bands (a dozen or so) spaced closer together. All the rubber bands on a Speed Bag are locking stows.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response, just found this thread.

As mentioned by others on this thread, the ALS flap is designed to prevent line dump (referred to as "Line Slump" a decade or so ago here at the factory, hence the ALS flap and not the ALD flap (Anti Line Slump versus Anti Line Dump). As I think Rob mentioned, most, if not all tandem manufacturers have some mechanism in place intended to stage the opening of the main and prevent line dump. That's what our ALS bag is designed to do. The reason we use the flap instead of collapsing the drogue prior to the canopy coming out of the bag, is that we never wanted to give up any of the drag that the drogue creates prior to extracting the canopy, it greatly reduces the likelyhood of a baglock having all that extra drag, and in that unlikley event you do have a bag lock, the inflated drogue has the necessary drag to clear the risers from the system without having to manually assist them. If your jumping a DHT without the ALS flap, your asking for harder openings. Please contact me at [email protected] and I can arrange to help you swap out the bags for ones with the ALS flap.

On to the open bag being sewn shut. When our systems come back for their required 8 year and 13 year inspections, we do find that quite a large number of the bags in the field are sewn shut.

The background on the velcro bag is that back in the early-mid 1990s, when the SET 400 first came out, it was alot of Zero P fabric intended to get into a relatively small bag. The open bag allowed for the packer to actually wrap the bag around the canopy, which, believe it or not, at that point in time, seemed to make it easier to get into the bag. The real benefit of the open velcro bag is that it gives you much better bulk distribution, the corners of the bag fill better, which puts less stress on the canopy in the container or during deployment.

To illustrate, we have all packed a sport main where we coned the canopy shorter in width than the bag and when you S fold it and put in the bag, the majority of the bulk is in the center of the bag, and the corners are loose, if not empty. Same thing on the tandem bag, just a little larger and more pronounced. That excess tension in the center of the bag isn't a safety issue, but it can increase the wear and tear factor on the canopy and line sets.

So.....when the bags come back to us during inspection, we don't stitch pick them and unsew them. It's not a safely issue. It's just a packing function that was designed a decade ago that still works great and does the job it's supposed to do (better bulk distribution).

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to shoot me an email: [email protected]

Best regards,

Tom Noonan
Tandem Director
Strong Enterprises

So.....when the bags come back to us during inspection, we don't stitch pick them and unsew them. It's not a safely issue. It's just a packing function that was designed a decade ago that still works great and does the job it's supposed to do (better bulk distribution).

I've worked for a number of DZ's who's owners are such tight asses that they won't / can't seem to afford to stock the rigging loft with the needed "basic repairs" items such as velcro and E thread. let alone pay a rigger for the service to maintain the rigs. So what happens is the packers get tired of the old worn out velcro not holding the bag shut time & time again, as well as not being able to get the repair done by a rigger or get paid to do such work if a rigger, that the bags get sewn shut and forgot about.

I've packed a lot with both kinds, I like the new bags with fresh velcro, I can also deal with the sewn shut ones, however I think changing out the velcro and keep up on your gear is a better answer to the problem.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo