jeffyg

shipping container/reserve from US to Canada

hello again another question.

i did some searching but didn't find what i was looking for. looks like i just bought a container and reserve (no AAD) from the us and am going to have it shipped up to canada.

was wondering what the consensus was for this

i have been bent over by UPS enough times and would prefer not to deal with them. value of this unit is in the 2k area.

appreciate your imput no need for it overnight or anything like that

jef
Speed is your Helmet

have the rig sent to your rigger for "inspection" you can insure the package for the replacement amount , but do not declare a purchace amount as you have not bought it. when your rigger gets it send a cheque to the seller and they send you a bill of sale. Don't buy in to the Canadian gov't money grab and welcome to free trade!:P

Play it straight and pay the import tax. Regardless of how you feel about the tax, it simply isn't worth the potential hassle. And remember, it's not just you who's involved - having the seller falsify customs documents could get him in a lot more trouble than you. I've sold a number of things outside the U.S., and there's no way I'm risking all that grief just to save the buyer 5%.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Play it straight and pay the import tax. Regardless of how you feel about the tax, it simply isn't worth the potential hassle. And remember, it's not just you who's involved - having the seller falsify customs documents could get him in a lot more trouble than you. I've sold a number of things outside the U.S., and there's no way I'm risking all that grief just to save the buyer 5%.

How can a US citizen get in trouble with foreign country customs ?

hello again another question.

i did some searching but didn't find what i was looking for. looks like i just bought a container and reserve (no AAD) from the us and am going to have it shipped up to canada.

was wondering what the consensus was for this

i have been bent over by UPS enough times and would prefer not to deal with them. value of this unit is in the 2k area.

appreciate your imput no need for it overnight or anything like that

jef

Have it shipped USPS. It'll be less expensive than Fed-Ex/UPS and go straight through customs, subject only to whatever Canada is charging these days as import duty and VAT.

Sometimes they loose things. The insured value is listed on the shipping forms. Listing the actual value would be prudent so you or the seller won't be out when that happens.

"gift" only works for items under $60 CDN.

You can ship it via USPS, and "maybe" not get pinned for customs, it's totally random.

Ship UPS...bet your ass you'll be paying out your ass.

JUst remember, if you ship it via USPS, and you say value is less than $60 or if you falsify the value....when they lose it, they'll only pay the "value" of the package. You WILL get screwed if you try this.

I have bought and sold many things from/to the US...use USPS, and claim it's true value that you'd want replaced when it gets lost. Sometimes it goes though freely, sometimes not.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

You can ship it via USPS, and "maybe" not get pinned for customs, it's totally random.

Agreed. I bought a Vigil for $1000, it was declared as such, and shipped USPS. I didn't pay any customs, HST, GST, etc. I actually was shocked and asked the attendent if she was sure there were no charges.

Sohrtly after, I received my container, valuied at $500, shipped USPS. I ended up paying ~$700 I think (15% tax).

I'm just happy it wasn't the other way around.