upndownshop

Canopy transfers - Was: Fatality in Rockmart, GA

You are totally right Big Steve. Let me clarify 2500ft is my decision altitude for sure. If there is something bad happening with my canopy I would have made the cut away decision by then. I guess what I meant is that if something happened to my already good canopy after the decision altitude then at 1000 there my thinking is only to get more fabric over my head. I have had the line twist thing happen under 2000 myself and I did think if I could not get out of it by 1000 to pull my reserve but not cut away. Is this the wrong line of thinking???????

At a 1000' there is time to cutaway especially with an RSL or skyhook, might be a bit intimidating but it has been done many times. Many factors involved but a canopy transfer would be another option (if the conditions are right). These are options that need to be discussed in length so you can have a good understanding of the details.
Dumping a reserve into the main is the last option, when you are deep in the beeps (or passed them) and there is no other option, for example: finding yourself with a bad main and knowing for a fact there is no time to cutaway, say 200', get it out.

I originally brought these options up because they are real life saving procedures, but they open up a whole new set of EP's, and they can be confusing. So it takes a full understanding of all the factors involved.
Of course the rel answer is, dont go there.

Keep asking questions, sit down and discuss as many possible scenarios as you can and then discuss them again.

J

Also leaning into a belly to earth position as you chop can make a difference. If standing while chopping, lean forward, may avoid you from going on your back.

Been reading this thread and trying to figure out what is meant by "canopy transfer" is that pulling reserve without cutting away?

A canopy transfer is pulling the reserve BEFORE cutting away the main, then cutting away the main as the reserve is inflating. Obviously, precise timing of the moment of cutting away the main is critical - too early, and you lose too much altitude; too late, and you risk a main/reserve entanglement (or a downplane, I suppose) - and even with perfect timing, there's still a risk of main/reserve entanglement.

and you risk a main/reserve entanglement (or a downplane, I suppose) - and even with perfect timing, there's still a risk of main/reserve entanglement.

Unless you jump a round reserve, there is way less risk of a entanglement.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

and you risk a main/reserve entanglement (or a downplane, I suppose) - and even with perfect timing, there's still a risk of main/reserve entanglement.

Unless you jump a round reserve, there is way less risk of a entanglement.

Which imho is the only time a canopy transfer should be attempted. If your main is flying well enough to do a transfer with a square reserve you do not need to transfer. Can someone give a first hand account where a transfer with a square reserve has been successfully done?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Can someone give a first hand account where a transfer with a square reserve has been successfully done?

Seen it twice. Not recommended, but I have seen it. If you are below 1,000 feet ALL the rules change. I personally have cut away below 800 feet with a spinner, it was an almost simultaneous pull.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

The last one I saw was two years ago at CSS. He went low into cypres territory, his main was open, felt reserve fire, chopped as reserve was getting line stretch. It was a perfect transfer, heads up move. Except of course from being low to begin with it was a quite a site! I believe he made the right decision, besides a horseshoe, two out is my biggest concern, well of course the plane ride.

As you know the reserve is more (or almost) horizontal when deploying with a main flying forward, so there is plenty of "room" to get the main cleared.

Also I have seen it in CRW situations a few times.

Again, I am not saying it is the best answer, but under a grand, there are other options, as you know.

As you know the reserve is more (or almost) horizontal when deploying with a main flying forward, so there is plenty of "room" to get the main cleared.

Do you know of any video on this? I'm really interested to see what goes on as I'm way too new to jumping out of very high things to have any idea on this stuff.

These two show canopy transfers.
First one at 10sec and slowmo at 24sec, just before it gets blurry. Video quality not the best.
Second one is a good example of "reserve is more horizontal" ...and loss of altitude awareness :|

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=search&search=do&string=canopy%20transfer&searchtype=allwords&click=1&sortby=datedesc

Martin

Thanks J I am not sure if I have enough experience yet to even think about canopy transfer. I am going to concentrate on not getting into a situation that would require me to do that.
I looked at the video of the line twist cut away with skyhook. I am thinking that a skyhook would be a great investment for me. Until then the RSL stays on.
I try to stay extremely conscious of altitude until on the ground so I guess with more experience instinct will come into play.

...wow...Ron?

Do you recall what altitude you were under your inflated reserve?

I'm wondering that myself. I think I almost crapped myself just thinking about cutting at 800ft.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan