westcoastcan

Not getting what you paid for..

how can you call it a small loss if you don't know how much the OP paid for their gear ? What if the container cost them $200, and now they have to pony up 34% more for parts that should have been included ?

$68 is a small loss in this sport. It doesn't matter how much that is relative to whatever he paid for the container. In fact, the less he paid for the container, the less justification he has to complain about it missing toggles.

How do you now they have no chance of getting it back ?

Because he said the guy declined to do so when asked.

More than anything else, his post ended with an open-ended question "So my question is what would you do in this situation?"

And I'm answering that question: forget about it and move on.

Essentially what you are saying is if you buy a used altimeter for $70, and the seller never ships it to you, it's a small enough loss not to worry about it ?

I disagree with your reasoning, sorry.

I think a better comparison would be buying a used altimeter and not receiving the wrist mount strap that should have come with it.

If the guy ya bought it from says he doesn't have it, you have a couple choices...

Buy one, or bitch about not getting one, which isn't gonna get one any faster than if ya bought one....either way the next time ya buy something used you'll know to be clear and definite regarding exactly what your buying.
;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Essentially what you are saying is if you buy a used altimeter for $70, and the seller never ships it to you, it's a small enough loss not to worry about it ?

Bzzzt. Wrong again.

However, if you expected it to arrive with a velcro wrist mount strap, and it didn't have one, then that would be a similar situation. Then the question is what was represented in the advertisement to be included with the item, and how much hassle is it worth to go after what's missing.

When someone asks for opinions here, they get them. Some opinions may coincide with what they want to hear, and others my be different from what they want to hear. If they're trying to judge what course to pursue, they need to hear all of them - even the ones they don't like. They're free to disregard those if they wish. But when asking for opinions, you shouldn't complain about getting them.

I don;t know too many people who suck it up over being screwed for $68

We don't know that he was "screwed" for sure - we haven't seen the original advertisement to which he responded, and what representations may have been made about what parts were included with the rig. All we're hearing is one side of the story at this point.

If you have tried to get the toggles out of this guy and he refused, publish his name with a link to his profile. Those who think there is no problem will think no less of him. The rest of us will take note. He, of course will have the opportunity to defend himself on here.

Hey can I just remind everybody that I'm not concerned about the money? I am most definitely over it! I appreciate those who offered to send me toggles, I think I should be fine though :)

I was simply trying to raise an issue and see what other people thought should be done to prevent shit like this from happening again. I agree, toggles aren't much, but what if it was something bigger?

Telling me to "suck it up buttercup" doesn't answer my question..

I checked another bag of stuff and found an almost new set of risers with toggles. They are the wider risers, not the ones with the mini three-rings and velcro-backed yellow toggles. PM me if you want them and I will send them to you, no charge.

People like you are a major part of why I like this sport. Screwed over/not screwed over its good to know that there are people in the sport willing to help others out.:)
Muff #5048

I paid for an hour last night and it was over in 1 minute and thirty seven seconds but i still had to pay for an hour. She told me "suck it up buttercup".

Seriously, Every time i sell something second hand to a newbie I get asked if the risers will come with the canopy. I fully understand why new people to purchasing gear or people who have not purchased brand new gear would think risers would come with a canopy.

Canopies come with nothing. If you are lucky you will get links with the canopy, you will from the manufacturer but understand if someone does not send you links then that is probably because they are past their use by date and you are better off without them and need to buy new ones.

A container should come with everything minus the canopy and minus the reserve canopy.

If you have not got thsose parts then you did not get what you paid for, easy as that. However, maybe this guy that sold it to you was a bit of a moron and sold the canopy with risers and toggles not knowing. Sorry moron is the wrong word, just new to selling gear.

I will be more than happy to sell you spare parts that you are missing at my dealer prices if you are still needing them. I would just give you the parts but i do not have any second hand gear or spare parts at the moment. Send me a PM if you would like the extra parts at my cost price rather than the retail price you are getting quoted.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Telling me to "suck it up, buttercup" doesn't answer my question..

Your question in message #1 was, quote:
"So my question is what would you do in this situation?"

And I gave you my answer.

I'm glad to hear that you've gotten over it, and that there is a happy ending to this saga. As you can see, for every questionable deal or person you come across in this sport, there is an entire horde of others with good intentions and honor willing to help you out. So don't let the rare trivial downside detract from the greater good. Suck it up, and move on. It sounds like you're doing that. Good job.

which usually involves telling them that they are whiny spoiled brats.

Why don't you grow up and quit making a fool of your self. Talk about "Spoiled Brats".

I agree. After reading that paragraph in his profile, I assume the poster is around 16 years old (mentally anyways). :)

which usually involves telling them that they are whiny spoiled brats.

Why don't you grow up and quit making a fool of your self. Talk about "Spoiled Brats".

This is the internet, right ? Why should your OPINION of what makes one look like a fool, or what is juvenile mandate MY behavior ?

If you choose to not accept PMs from me, but still attack me on a public forum that doesn't say much of you either bud.

Canopies come with nothing. If you are lucky you will get links with the canopy, you will from the manufacturer but understand if someone does not send you links then that is probably because they are past their use by date and you are better off without them and need to buy new ones.

Canopies should ALWAYS come with links. Even if they need replacement (btw, since when do links come with a "use by date"?). Besides the fact that links come with a new canopy, there's also the courtesy to the next person hooking it up factor.

There isn't much that will make a rigger happier than handing them a canopy that isn't on links and asking them to hook it up for you... oh and they better not charge more than $10 to do it either!

"use by date'. Figure of speech.

If someones links are past their use by date and they are posting it from home to a person who has purchased their second hand canopy, then they should at least tie some 'bread ties' around each line set if they do not have access to any links. That is common curtosey. Does not mean they have to drive an hour and a half to their local dropzone gear store to buy actual links to send their $500 canopy to someone.

Yes, all canopies come with links be it hard or soft links when purchased from a manufacturer.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Again, the answer is to ask excatly what is included. And ask for photos. Do not assume anything. Did you DO that? Not sure you have ever said. IF you don't get what you expect but DIDN'T ask, the first recourse is to undo the deal. It doesn't seem you ever tried that option.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE