headoverheels

Long commutes?

I've been offered a new job. It is really a pretty interesting position, which will require me to both knock the rust off and learn some new things. First offer was too low (I'm making 27% more now), but I'm pretty sure they will bring that up to par. The main drag is the commute, which will be 48 miles each way, through bay area traffic. Can be done off peak in a bit over an hour, but I would count on an average of 1:15 each way. So, nearly two hours per day driving, in addition to the half hour or so it takes me now, in the context of a startup company.

Anyone out there have a long commute and don't care? Alternatively, is it taking years off of your life?

I have one, and it used to be even longer. Basically, you just have to let it go. It bothered me for a long time, but then I made a concsious decision to not let it get to me anymore. And guess what? It worked! Now I just listen to the radio, dance like a fool on occasion, and ignore the fact that I'm not moving. I let people get in front of me, and I've found that that makes my stress level much lower than it was when I used to work so hard at keeping people from getting in front of me.

It's all in your mind. You can deal with it, if you let yourself.

I have a 45 mile commute each way, and I work for a company that offers some of the highest pay rates for the industry in the area, so it's worth the drive. On a good day, I can make it in under 40 minutes... [Evil]

But yeah, there are some days when I'm tired of all the driving and feel run down or something. Just go with what you really want, and good luck!
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I left a corporate position to enter a private practice. I took a 30+% pay cut and went from a 10 mile commute to a 100+ mile commute (each way!). I spend 3.5 to 4 hours in a car every day.

Yes, it sucks. I love my job, so it is worth it. On the way each way, I catch up on the news with the radio, listen to books on tape, drink lots of coffee, and keep in touch with my friends/family via cell phone.

It's a pain in the ass from the time standpoint, but it has gotten me much closer to all my friends now since we talk a couple times a week instead of a couple times a month.

I hope to move closer to this job, but will never have less than a 30-40 minute commute, and the move won't happen for at least a year.

Sorry I can't be any more specific on what you should do, but I've been at this for a year, most of the time it doens't bother me all that much, I'm used to it now.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have one, and it used to be even longer. Basically, you just have to let it go. It bothered me for a long time, but then I made a concsious decision to not let it get to me anymore. And guess what? It worked! Now I just listen to the radio, dance like a fool on occasion, and ignore the fact that I'm not moving. I let people get in front of me, and I've found that that makes my stress level much lower than it was when I used to work so hard at keeping people from getting in front of me.

It's all in your mind. You can deal with it, if you let yourself.

That is true. I've gotten used to the commuting in the D.C. area. It took almost four years but I did get used to it. :D

The Original Cabana Boy!

Somehow I went wrong. I live downtown and work in Chicago's western subburbs.

Driving in rush hour takes an hour... and taking public transit takes an hour and 10. So I take public transit.

I ride the CTA subway out to the end of the line, then take a subburban bus to my office.

In the morning, I leave home at 8:00 to get to work by 9:15. In the evening I leave work at 5:00, get home at 6:15.

It's not so bad. Thus is life in the big city.

The plan when we bought our condo was for me to work downtown. Hopefully I'll get back to that soon.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't have one and the job would have to be pretty spectacular for me to take one (and I'd have to have the option of working from home from time to time). I've been fortunate.

Of course, I burned out on the ultimate in commuting back when I was a consultant (out of town Monday morning, back Thursday night every week). For me, I value my time more than money. Part of being happy with my job is being happy with the time it takes out of the rest of my life.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

takes me about 75 minutes each way to work every day... I took the job 'cos it was close to my place, then the company moved. i'm hoping to get a new job soon though. I'm not totally unhappy with the travelling, i get some work done on the train but i'd much rather do work at my place and have a ten minute walk to work.

And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn't need
'Cause you knew you were finally free - Death Cab For Cutie

Get a motorcycle, thats what the shoulder is for!

Currently I have a 15 minute commute. Sometime between now and the end of this month I am moving and will have about an hour and a half commute each way. I am going to do it for a month and see how it works out for me. The wether better hurry and warm up though, because I am not willing to cage it everyday.

i commute35 mins each day. It does get a little long, but i use it to unwind. Listen to the radio. Heres a tip, right before you walk out the door, litterally, take a second to clear you head. Leave your work worries inside the building. Then open the door and walk out. It's what I do and that way my drive home isn't stressful...with the exception of shitty Utah drivers.......;)

ISo, nearly two hours per day driving, in addition to the half hour or so it takes me now, in the context of a startup company.

Anyone out there have a long commute and don't care? Alternatively, is it taking years off of your life?

I might consider a 1:15 commute in each direction in exchange for a 5.5 hour work day with full pay. Otherwise there's just not enough time in the day.

I get up at 8, do morning things, take 20 minutes to bike to work, get there about 9:45, work until 6:45 or so with a break between for lunch, ride home for 20 minutes, eat for an hour, go to bed at 12. That's 4 hours for chores and relaxation. A commute like that would knock off 60% of my free time and be hell on my relationship.

At my last startup having that sort of commute would have meant both sleeping at the office four days a week and getting less done.

My car insurance would be outrageous - when I'm stewing in the commuter traffic I drive somewhat aggresively, rarely make it to the office without skidding a few times, and am pretty much pissed by the time I get there (rather than being relaxed from the ride).

The time and mental health hits just wouldn't be worth it. Not commuting probably costs me about $12K in salary although the trade-off is more than worthwhile.

I've discovered that the type of car you have REALLY decides the comfort level of the commute. And that determines how tolerable the commute is.

I used to drive an underpowered subcompact with vinyl seats and no air conditioning. Now I drive a very comfortable, loaded, powerful coupe. It makes a TREMENDOUS difference. First, it gets me there faster. Second, it's quiet and comfortable and handles very well, so maneuverability and driving comfort are significantly increased. This significantly decreases how taxing the commute is.

A 45 minute commute in the older vehicle would translate into a 30 minute commute in the newer vehicle. Forty five minutes in the older car is much more taxing than 45 minutes in the new car.

The newer car is an automatic, which makes stop-and-go traffic MUCH more tolerable. The older car is a manual.

The newer car has a pretty comfortable ride. It's not a harsh-riding roadster.

My $0.02. YMMV.

I would count on an average of 1:15 each way.

I do that 4 days a week for school. On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday I have an hour drive (best case scenario), two-and-a-half hour long class, one hour drive home. On Wednesdays it's an extra special 70 minute train ride followed by a 12 block walk through downtown Chicago. I'm gone for over 7 hours for a two-and-a-half hour class. But it's all worth it, I guess.

I know about long commutes!

I work in London and for a few years used to travel about 2 hours each way every day to and from work, usually stood up in an overcrowded train/tube/bus with my head in some smelly blokes armpit until I decided enough was enough and moved closer. Now it takes me about 40 mins each way tubes permitting.

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~