Nutella

Want to buy a video camera for skydiving, please help!

Hi,

I would like to ask for an advice...My boyfriend used to do skydiving and he wants to get doing it again. He has been buying equipment etc. Now, his birthday is coming and I would like to buy him a video camera for skydiving. The problem is, I have no idea about which I should go for. Plus I don't want to buy a wrong one, since my bf is also IT and he knows a lot about gadgets...so to avoid his disapointment, I need your help:)
My budget is around £200.
Could someone please recommend me with something simple and that does the job?

Many thanks in advance!

There are a lot of requirements for flying video and unless your boyfriend was a fairly experienced jumper (200+ jumps) before he quit there is a really good chance that the DZ will not let him jump it when he returns to jumping. It would be better to give him the gift in the form of coaching or something like an Audible Altimeter then a Camera right now.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

For this price check the Sony HC-52 and 62 mini DV cameras.
As Phree said make sure he has more than 200 jumps. Anyway, if he's coming back after a long period it is wiser to jump without any camera for a while.
A gift card for a skydive dealer may be better choice (he can pick whatever he wants).
Good luck
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Hi, thanks for reply!
My bf has jumped about 60 times about 5 years ago. He has jumped again last year, and since decided to get his own parachute, suit, helmet and the thing which makes the parachute to open in emergency if he doesn't do anything( this is how I was explained :)
So I think video camera was probably not that good idea, you guys know better and so I will buy him the altimeter.Just one more question: is it possible that the gadget which makes the parachute to react if nothing is done, could have altimeter's functions too or smth? Just making sure, because it was quite expensive... sorry :)
Ah, and which of the audible altimeters would fit into a good balance between the price and the quality??? As I have checked, the price ranges a lot :S
Cheers !

Ah, and which of the audible altimeters would fit into a good balance between the price and the quality??? As I have checked, the price ranges a lot :S
Cheers !

Optima;)

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

is it possible that the gadget which makes the parachute to react if nothing is done, could have altimeter's functions too or smth? Just making sure, because it was quite expensive... sorry :)

An AAD does have an altimeter built-in, it's how it "knows" when to open the reserve parachute, however it is not an altimeter you can look at while jumping so you'll still need a separate visual altimeter when you're jumping.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

First of all, I wanted to say how awesome it is that you think about getting him a skydiving present!
My vote is also on Optima, just make sure he doesn't have one already. You could also go to the dropzone and buy him a few jump tickets! I'm sure he will be happy - I would love it! :)Blue skies.

Hehe, yeah body flying is great. We went there once in Milton Keynes and it was awesome.It's a great idea, however this is in our plans already :) My bf wants to do base jump in the future, so we decided to go there more often for him to gain control over his body and for me is good fun too, plus it's cheaper once you can share the tunnel between 2 pax.

But thanks for that, because if I wasn't familiar with it, I would have been very grateful for this post!

Peace

Thanks!

In order to buy jumps is a bit complicated, as we have no car and we live in London so there are no means to get to the dropzones... I am also aware that he has unsuccessfully tried to find people from London who do skydiving in order to share the transport and the costs...
He therefore usually jumps in Lithuania, were is cheaper and he has friends... :) I almost start feeling sorry for him, after writing this.LOL

Anyway, we are soon going for holiday to Spain, and will pop in to empuriabrava so I think it's enough for the time being :)
Cheers!

I understand you want to make a surprise to your boyfriend but if he is a very demanding guy with respect to the quality of his equipment, don't buy him a camera since he probably knows exactely what he wants. But for 200 Sterling Pounds you can buy him an ALTITRACK altimeter/computer for instance. You will have way less chance to disappoint him.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

If you end up deciding to get a camera, check this one out:

http://www.goprocamera.com/products

I know of several jumpers with low jump numbers (but much more current then your bf) that jump them with no problem and also several instructors that say it's the way to go for new camera flyers with low jump numbers.

It's also nice and cheap and fits onto every helmet!

Thanks for the advice, this forum is full of very nice people. I did not expect so many useful and friendly suggestions.

I have made my decision and will buy the Optima altimeter, as it ir the safest option.

Once again thank you everyone, and good luck!

Blue Skies,

Ineta