SkydiveNFlorida

GA TECH: Tell me about the school, the Atlanta area, etc. . .

I was admitted to GA Tech for Fall '05. I am still waiting to hear back from a few schools. So far i've been admitted to GA Tech and Rose-Hulman and i'm waiting to hear back from UCSD, UCLA, UC Berkeley and UT Austin. At this point, it is looking like Rose-Hulman is out because they are in a very remote area and very $$. And, Berkeley is awefully expensive, too.

Anyhow, what can you tell me about Atlanta? Would you choose GA Tech out of these schools? My major is Chemical Engineering. How is Atlanta? Is the school located in a major area or is it on the outskirts? Could I possibly sell my car and bike it or rely on public transport?

**Thanks for the info, Phree.

:D I'm so excited, it feels good when you get admission letters back.

Thanks guys and gals! :D
Angela.

Does anyone know if you are considered out of state for your entire time at a school, or only for the first year?

As long as you physically move to the area for a reason other then to attend school its only out of state for the first year. You must live there year round and usually have a job to pay instate rates. Another way isd to marry someone that lives instate already :D Ask the school their specific requirements. Some require things like paystubs dated for a year or others are ax enough that you can claim to live with a relative and as long as you can show that you are recieving your mail there thats all thats needed.

Dublin is 1.5-2 hours from downtown Atlanta if I remember right. Its well worth the trip if you can go to a school for a visit. Try to go that Wednesday or Thursday.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

There is a 4-way team out of GA Tech, I think it's called GT Inviscid, or something like that (assuming they didn't change the name and are still together). I'm sure they could tell you all you need to know, but I'm not sure if the people on the team still post here. Hopefully the GA people can put you in touch with them.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey Angela,

I'm a current senior at Tech and compete with GT Fusion. I moved here from Rhode Island and absolutely love it. Atlanta is wonderful!

Will you be a grad student, transfer, or new undergrad? In-state tuition is out unless you live and work here for a year without taking classes or are a grad student who has an arrangement with their department. It stinks. I've lived and worked here for 5 years and still pay out-of-state.

PM me if you have any questions or would like to come visit. The school itself is very difficult and there's a lot of work involved. But supposedly once you get out into the real world you are set. I'd be happy to show you around. We have an awesome club too! (http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/skydive/)

Becky

Thanks, Becky! I will be coming in as an undergraduate transfer. I was afraid of the out-of-state thing. I will check with UC and see if they have the same deal.

Yeah, I heard it is a tough school, but I want the best bang for my buck. You are an under grad senior? How do you like your teachers? The general vibe at the school? What is your major?

I have never been to Atlanta, but I will see if I can get the time off of work to get up there and visit, around the time of the Dublin boogie, ;) I'd be very grateful if you'd show us around (my boyfriend would be moving with me.) That is a great offer, thanks!! I'll pm you once I know if we can get the time off of work.

Thanks everyone! More replies are definitely welcome! Tell me what you think of Atlanta and the school with compare to Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD for Engineering.

thx!!!
Angela

ATL is good for having 4 dz within an hour's drive of campus - other than that - I find the city unappealing as a whole. (that's just me:|)

UT Austin would be my choice though. Still an hour to SDSanMarcos, but the town is much hipper, much more eclectic - and the school has just as good as a reputation for all of it's programs - teams have better records too!;)

Depends on what you're after, but if out-of-state tuition is necessary to pay...then I'd base most of my decision on which one was cheapest - ALL of the schools you mentioned were excellent schools for your degree.

If I were to rank them...
Tech
UCSD
UT
UCLA

...but that's my opinion!

Have you visited each of your 'top' choices? spend the summer going to boogies near each one, if you can, and check out the towns, school, living costs, etc. I bet you be surprised at the rental prices of each place...how VASTLY different they'd be. If you choose UT - PM me, my dad has 2 apts connected to his house not 3 blocks from the center of campus.

Good Luck!!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

ANDREA!!!!! You HAVE to come to Atlanta and hang out at SDA on the weekends! We need more female swoopers, and Katie and I want to grab your boobies and pinch your ass! The GA Tech skydiving club is based at SDA, and they are great. Mostly belly fliers, but the rest of SDA is VERY freefly friendly.

It was great meeting you in person at the NCB and eating meatballs with you! If you want to visit PM me or mindway69 and we'll work something out.

mmmmm......meatballs.....:P

mua!

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Haha, that's so true, it's like Harvard!! I went to emory across town and we used to go to Tech to party when we were all broke, cause you never had to pay for a drink if you were remotely cute. It was great.

Andrea, your BF is going to have to keep you on a leash if you go there!! ;)

mua!

*pinches Andrea's cutie bootie*B|

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Hey Angela,

Tech is definitely a unique school. It is located in downtown atlanta. It is possible to use a combination of public transportation, a bike and the schools bus system to get around. The city itself is interesting. There are many things to do from cultural events to just clubs, bars, dancing etc... They school itself has a great Chem E department but it is very difficult. I've only know about 5 Chem E's and 3 of them have transferred to a different major within the first 2 years. I couldn't compare it to other schools as i don't know too much about them but if you have any other questions feel free to ask. And as becky said, if your interested we can definitely organize for you to get a tour of the campus/city if you come up to visit.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Get ready to work your ass off unless things have changed greatly since I left in '94 (academic wise at least; the campus is totally different now).

Go Jackets!

Vinny the Anvil
Class of '94
B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

:D You are so cute, Brie! It will be awesome to hang out with you and Katie! You are the booty smacka! lol! I will definitely send you and katie a pm when I know the dates we'll be able to make it out.

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the replies. I feel so welcome:D.

Vinny, I'm prepared to work my ass off, I fully expect it to be hard. I will have a good number of transfer credits, thankfully, too (so far 58 are transferrable as per Tech, but this semester isn't over.)

Pyke, i'll let you know what I decide in the end. I am not planning on UT really at this point. I think it'll be between GA Tech, UCSD & UC Berkeley, but probably between the first two because Berkeley, while a great school, it way expensive.

Angela.

Hey Angela,

Tech is definitely a unique school. It is located in downtown atlanta. It is possible to use a combination of public transportation, a bike and the schools bus system to get around. The city itself is interesting. There are many things to do from cultural events to just clubs, bars, dancing etc... They school itself has a great Chem E department but it is very difficult. I've only know about 5 Chem E's and 3 of them have transferred to a different major within the first 2 years. I couldn't compare it to other schools as i don't know too much about them but if you have any other questions feel free to ask. And as becky said, if your interested we can definitely organize for you to get a tour of the campus/city if you come up to visit.

Well, i'm glad to hear there are things to do there. Not that i'll have time to do them between studying and studying, lol! I know it'll be rough, I don't plan to give up. What the hell will I do with all of this math and science then:P

I will let you and Becky know when we'll be able to make it up so that we can arrange some sort of campus tour with you. That rocks! Thanks!

:D
Angela

Half of my extended family graduated from UC Berkeley with degrees in one form of engineering or another. After you become a California resident for a year, the tuition drops pretty dramatically. Living expenses can be high if you're into convenience, but if you're willing to live in shared housing, it can be manageable. PM me if you'd like more details.

Cal has an amazing alumni network and you've got the entire Silicon Valley right there, just waiting for new worker bees once you graduate.

There is a 4-way team out of GA Tech, I think it's called GT Inviscid, or something like that (assuming they didn't change the name and are still together). I'm sure they could tell you all you need to know, but I'm not sure if the people on the team still post here. Hopefully the GA people can put you in touch with them.

I love Atlanta and Georgia Tech. Then again I'm a Public Policy grad student so I know nothing about engineering. If you're interested in talking to a Chem-E, send a pm. I can put you in touch if you have specific questions. Like Becky and Adam said, Atlanta is a lot of fun. It can be affordable. I live in Midtown and love it. Lots of stuff to do at night and on the weekends. Plus like others have said there are 4 great DZs within an hour or so of downtown.

As a side note, Inviscid lives on (www.inviscid.com). And I read dz.com, just don't post often. :)www.airlockskydiving.com) and GT Fusion (www.gtfusion.net) competed last year and hopefully there will be another team or two for this year.

Let us know if we can answer any specific questions for you or show you around!

Allison

Thanks!!

Ok, we're gonna be driving up on Saturday the 12th and will leave sometime the evening of Monday the 14th.

I figure we'll be able to check out the town Sat night, all day Sunday. Then on Monday morning we'll check out of our hotel and go see the campus. There is a campus tour at like 11am, how are they? Would it be better to just walk around? I would gladly accept the skydiver tour of GA Tech if anyone will be avail on Monday the 14th. And, suggestions on where to go on the weekend to get a locals experience would be great. I want to take the public transport at some point, too. Thoughts?

Thanks! :D
Angela.