Lenzo

containers

Thanks everyone on the info for the silhouette.How about containers pros or cons if any about them all.I am primarely A belly flier but would like to do some free flying in the future.Any info would be appreciated
Smile,pull,land

+1 for Infinity

Not saying you're wrong, but why? A lot of people like to recommend a particular brand, but they rarely give any reasons why that brand is better than the others. What made you choose Infinity? Design features, looks, comfort, quality, other people said it was good, etc?

Dave

I like Infinity because:
1. the fit was perfect the first time around
2. the double flaps for the riser covers
3. it's not a pop top since too many riggers don't know how to pack those
4. the closing loop is on the top of the bottom flap, not on the bottom of the pack tray like a Javelin
5. Kelly has exellent customer service
6. it's a lot cheaper than mirage/wings/javelin (or used to be)
7. it's streamlined and does not have a bulky main compartment like a wings
8. you can lift the rig up by the main closing flap (speaks for a secure closing system)

Seven, www.basik.fr not a big brand but... very nice and....Just check. Still looking for dealers;) in this poor World...:S

Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

Seven, www.basik.fr not a well know brand but... very nice and....Just check. Still looking for dealers;) in this poor World...:S

Oh yeah, the Advance containers are pure quality and comfort :)
http://www.basik.fr/en/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=189&category_id=6&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1

But I really doubt that americans will ever buy one, they basically never look further than their own garden...
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

But I really doubt that americans will ever buy one, they basically never look further than their own garden...

It's not really that. Most people buy containers that they see at their dropzone. If basik wants to gain popularity in the US, they have to get their containers out there in the hands of experienced jumpers. My DZ is full of rigs from South Africa because of a couple people. The real key is a good US sales rep/distributor and DEMO RIGS.

I'd buy american though. Not so much to support american (mostly central american) workers, but because it's a real pain in the butt to ship a rig to europe/africa for service. I have walked my rig into UPT's rigging office to get my container fixed and dropped my canopy off at PD down the street for a reline while I was in the neighborhood. My friend's Vortex showed up slashed right through the reserve container (and through the reserve inside) by customs, probably checking for drugs inside. That doesn't happen often when the rig is coming from Florida.

Dave

or maybe its just convenient to deal with someone in the same country who also happens to make good gear. Most popular containers in the world are made in US. So are the most popular canopies. This is an objective statement based on selling a shitload of gear and talking to a shitload of people.

Americans are narrow minded, no question about it, but making a blanket statement like yours, is even worse. Or do you think all the foreign made cars in the US are driven by non-Americans ?

I much prefer a main flap that folds upward instead of downward. I can't lift my Vector by the main flap, but it's also still closed every time I land. The nice thing about that type of flap is that the bulk of the main doesn't affect the flap's ability to stay closed. They also tend to be easier to open and close for pin checks.

But I like my Vector for a lot of the same reasons you like the infinity. Riser covers, closing loop on the bottom flap (which has disadvantages too), etc. Plus the Skyhook, collins lanyard, big strong reserve pin, etc.

Dave

It's really not scary. The bridle comes in and out of the main flap on the right side (completely hidden, of course). The pin can be pulled without ripping the flap open. Pretty sure all (most?) rigs with upward closing main flaps work the same way.

Dave

I'm not getting it. I looked at UPT's website and pictures of their rig. I still cannot see how you can possibly deploy your main and still have the main flap closed. There's not enough room for the bag to come out of the sides not to mention without opening the main flap. Or maybe we're just having a breadown in communication.;)

1. Price (I could get a new infinity with all options for the base price of a new Javelin Oddyssey)
2.) I have seen the 'post your infinity' thread and out of more than 700 posts not one single bad thing said about the Infinity container
3.) looks...It is a sexy container
4.) I like the fact that the closing flap is very solid for when I attempt freeflying (in a few hundred more jumps)
5.) excellent customer service I've sent Kelly 3 messages while my container has been built and he is always very nice and I've never got a reply like..leave me alone I'm busy! He's always been there to answer all my questions.

so sorry about being so brief before but...

+1 for Infinity

The pin protector flap is just an extension of the top closing flap. It just folds over top of the left and right flaps. The pilot chute pulls the pin out of the side of the pin protector flap without pulling the flap open. It probably moves the pin protector flap, but not enough to pop it open. After the pin is pulled, the main container opens up but the left and right flaps swing open without pushing the pin protector flap open. Then the top flap can open, lifting the pin protector flap with it while it's still folded into the pocket. Then the dbag can lift out. I think that opening just took about 30 seconds. :)
It would make more sense in a video I'm sure.

Dave

Advance Seven

I find it interesting that the language used in describing the Advance Seven is identical to the language used in describing the Mirage G4.

Mirage G4 [:/]

Anyway - there's no need for we Americans to look overseas for gear. We have the best available. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'm not getting it. I looked at UPT's website and pictures of their rig. I still cannot see how you can possibly deploy your main and still have the main flap closed. There's not enough room for the bag to come out of the sides not to mention without opening the main flap. Or maybe we're just having a breadown in communication.;)

The pin cover is an extension of the top flap. The closing order is Bottom, Top, Side, Side - the flap is then tucked up into the slot, covering the two side flaps and the pin. When the main is deployed, the bridle/pin are extracted out the right side and the top flap remains tucked into the slot.

Hope this helps.

N

*edited to add: "What pilotdave said."
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I don't like that style of main closing flap hence the reason why I would never consider it. They look to flimsy. Bet you couldn't lift the container by it;)

why would you want to lift a rig by any flap anyways ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I don't like that style of main closing flap hence the reason why I would never consider it. They look to flimsy. Bet you couldn't lift the container by it;)

Figure of speech. I feel a lot more comfortable with a secure main closing flap. For me that comfort comes from the fact the flap is not easily opened like those flaps or the wings version.

Figure of speech. I feel a lot more comfortable with a secure main closing flap. For me that comfort comes from the fact the flap is not easily opened like those flaps or the wings version.

It is very secured and do not open at all in free fall and in any positions. It takes us a long testing to find the right system. Beside this if you have a close look at the flaps shape you should notice that:
- No possibility to have a line snag on the side or upper flaps.
- No possibility to have the main bag rotated, when lift during opening, by the upper main flap avoiding line twists.
And a lot of other details which help to increase security and common use.

There is a big difficulties to have our gears been distributed in the US.
-Change rate (even if we match prices)
-After sales service which must be handle perfectly over there. To do so, we need a company playing this game.
-Big money on the table
But I still looking for opportunities and several companies should have a closer look on this.

Thank you for your comments
Jérôme Bunker
Basik Air Concept
www.basik.fr
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Luc-France/BASIK-AIR-CONCEPT/172133350468

...But I really doubt that americans will ever buy one, they basically never look further than their own garden...

Hmmm...that's strange I could have swore I just ordered a FF3 helmet from 2K Composites, only prob is I have to wait for it to ship from the UK. I could have walked into the Bonehead warehouse in Perris (which is 15 minutes from my house), got a great deal and had it right away. But due to the excellent job Michael Bowen has done marketing the FF3 (I saw his posts about them here and talked to a video guy at my DZ who purchased a FF3 from Michael) I chose to deal with him. Bonehead is a great company with awesome service and products but the FF3 fits my needs better and so I purchased one.

Even tho its a foreign purchase having a rep in the US is nice. I have not bought anything expensive overseas, I actually find it a bit intimidating. (Seems to be more of a problem if you get burned or a mistake in the shipment) Personally I am looking for the best product/price in everything I buy, regardless of where it was made.

What about cars? Ask GM what Americans buy the most! Personally I love Toyotas!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."