flyingferret

God WAS a Jarhead

I am putting this in Bonfire, hopefully it inspires no debate and can stay here. This comes from a family member of my girlfriend, whos is at Quantico right now. As far as I know it is original and I have his permission to repost.
I thought you some of you USMC guys out there might get a kick out of it.

I've heard for a while that God loves Marines, that there is a special place in Heaven for Marines, and various other ways to say there is a special connection between God and Marines (I cite Full Metal Jacket here) and i realized something recently. something profound actually

...as i walked across a familiar landing zone (LZ) yesterday it hit me, God doesn't just like Jarheads...God WAS a Jarhead. I can even tell you His rank and military occupational specialty, but i'll get to that later. You see, as i strolled around and looked across the LZ i realized that all of the snow had melted away except for one portion - the circuit course. This entire LZ, roughly 2 football fields or larger was green - except for the one portion where
Marines have to lie, crawl, roll and generally get intimate with. My first inclination was to think God doesnt like Marines, He hates us. Thats when it occurred to me. God IS a Marine. In fact, he was enlisted. A Gunnery Sergeant to be exact. Doesn't it fit? - Gunny God. I can even go further to tell you He was an 8511 - Drill Instructor. Yep.

See, i used to think (as i'm sure many of you do) that it rains because someone is grilling out, or because someone washed their car - in the last year i have learned that it rains, snows or becomes unseasonably searing because Marines have taken to the field for training. sometimes it does all 3 in one glorious moment - only by the hand of Gunny God is this possible. I know he was a Gunny cause those are the real wave makers in the Marine Corps. Gunnys love their Marines, but their Marines would never know it. Gunnys want their Marines to be the hardest, most well
trained fightenest SOBs on the planet...so they need bad weather. This is why everytime i stepped into the field over the summer it was either 125 degrees, or monsooning. No in between. This is why Robert's company has been in the field "coincidentally" every time its snowed - or sleeted, or some other type of discomfortable weather pattern. Its cause God wants us well trained.

Gunnys are the ones that push their Marines to take that next step 20 miles into a 25 mile forced march. You can even substitute phraseology - "I kept going for fear of Gunny Soandso" (sounds a lot like "For fear of God himself").
This is why all Marines have a God complex. Why do we think we're better, faster, stronger, smarter, better looking, and in every way shape and form invincible...because we are.

Furthermore, what do Marines call themselves - Devildog, right? Spell that backward...God lived. Of course He did!! God was a Gunny, and Gunnys never die because they have to drill their Marines some more tomorrow.

This is why Marines are the only branch with Gunnery Sergeants. Heck, we even have a Master Gunnery Sergeant. We are even the only ones to use "crossed" rifles to depict the rank! Gunny God doesnt want to share that with the other branches.

This is why God knows all - ask anyone who has been through USMC boot camp or OCS...who somehow knows EVERYTHING that ever happened in your life - the Drill Insructor (DI). Who is never wrong - the DI. Who somehow, despite your best efforts to escape (consult Marine who tried to float across the Potomic at OCS) manages to be there every moment of every day - the DI does.

Shoot, look at the Marine's Hymn (Hymn people, notsong - Hymn).
"If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes
They will find the streets are guarded
By UNITED STATES MARINES!"

So i salute you Gunny God - or does He salute me since i'm commissioned?......nah. Either way, Semper Fi.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

I really thought it was a forward at first, but sounds like he thought it all up

That was what I thought, but then he's talking about his own company and training at Quantico.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You are obviously a Parish Island Marine or your DI was one. My father was a Parish Island DI and I am going to send this post to him. He is almost 70 and it will fill his heart with pride that the tradition lives on and on and on!! I have a newspaper clip from the week I was born, I was not expected to live as an infant in 1966 (was very premature) but my father still conducted his inspection!!

Thanks for you service and protecting my freedoms!!!

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Hold up...can girls be "G.I.'s"?? :S Just don't call me a WAC an' everybody will get out alive...:P

GI = Government Issue
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Q: What do you call a Marine who can read and write?

A: "Colonel."

M uscles
A re
R equired
I ntelligence
N ot
E xpected

The Squids always told us Marine stood for My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment.....

which would explain why we had to hike every damn where we went :D
Scars remind us that the past is real

yeah all i remember are HMMWV'S and walking

H high
M mobility
M Multi
W Wheeled
V Vechile

also know as a hummer to you non military folk

Look what i made at work today mom!! Put it on the fridge
http://www.bouda.moonfruit.com

yeah all i remember are HMMWV'S and walking

H high
M mobility
M Multi
W Wheeled
V Vechile

also know as a hummer to you non military folk

Hummer = Lowinsky
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hold up...can girls be "G.I.'s"?? :S Just don't call me a WAC an' everybody will get out alive...:P

GI = Government Issue

Yeah, but it just sounds so...masculine. :S

If a G.I. is BAD...:)

Do they still give 'em three WAC's and
send him to bed without dinner?!
:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

GI = Government Issue

Yeah, but it just sounds so...masculine. :S

If a G.I. is BAD...:)

Do they still give 'em three WAC's and
send him to bed without dinner?!
:P

>:(:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.