Remster

San Diego

OK peeps,

We'll have a couple days to spare in between events in Perris, and we wanna check out SD and the area. Whats cool to see around there? Rugged coastlines? Montainous areas? Fun neigbourhoods in town?

Also, where to stay?
Remster

Bill took me to a beautiful place where paragliders take off on the coast. If you go with him, he can arrange for dolphins to frolic in the surf for you. I don't know how he does that. I was so impressed!

Other high points of my trip were eating at Karl Strauss, watching the sunset at a dive bar and then drinking someplace where they have really tall beers. Oh, just ask Bill, he's a great guide!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Have to agree on the paraglider port at La Jolla. Nice coastline view. Visit Mt Soledad above La Jolla at sunset, it has a 360 degree view towards Mexico, to the east county, up towards LA and the Pacific Ocean. Great view at night with all the lights. There is a real dive bar in the Gas Lamp Quarter called Dick's Last Resort. I think they have the yard long beer there. If you have lots of time, the polar bears at the zoo are worth a visit, but then again, I'm a sucker for furry animals.

Cheers
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Bill took me to a beautiful place where paragliders take off on the coast.

ummm... the beach below is WAY better than the cliff! Did Bill mention it is Blacks Beach one of the most famous nude beaches in so. cal. Can't wait to use that one on a girl. "Hey would you like to go watch the paragliders from the beach below?"....that's like the old I ran out of gas trick..hahaha

Remster,

Torrey Pines is the place Skymama is talking about. And yes, Blacks Beach is a swimsuit optional beach below the Gliderport. As far as checking stuff out, like someone said the Gaslamp in downtown is a great area. It was one of the most stunning renovations of a run down area I've ever seen, now it is top notch. Good clubs, jazz, blues, rock, whatever, it is there.

The Zoo is world famous, and if you are into aviation, the San Diego Aerospace Museum is in Balboa Park along with the Reuben H. Fleet Space Theater (great IMAX movies). Sea World is just a few minutes away from downtown. Old Town is fun, and a great place for Mexican food and classic toilet bowl margaritas, named not for the size of the glass but for what you will spend hours looking into if you drink enough of those babies. ;)

Now, if you want to get a bit off the beaten path, drive up the Pacific Coast Highway into the beach towns that start just north of Torrey Pines. Encinitas, Del Mar, Leucadia, and you can find some great small restaurants.

Tijuana is just a trolley ride away, but be careful down there. The rules are different. If you drive yourself, buy the car insurance. Just do it.

From downtown, Elsinore is about an hour and 15 minutes away, and Perris is about 20-25 minutes from Elsinore.

The mountains are only 45-50 minutes from downtown, the desert just 15 minutes beyond that.

You can stay downtown, or about 10 miles north, and be perfectly set up to get where you want when you want, but we do have some bad rush hours here. If you get some hotels and want advice, let me know.

Hope you enjoy your stay here, it has been home for me most of my life!

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

I was in Elsinore in Jan and we took time off to go to SD.

Sights to see

Mission Beach, LaJoya, Sea World

Bars to visit

Any where in the Gas Lamp, in particular

Dicks Last Resort

Moose McGuilligudys, and the two Irish Bars opposite (cant remember the names but the Guiness is the best I have had outside of Ireland)

Freds Mexican Resturant (next door to Mooses) an amazing Tequila Bar and the home of the $150 Tequila (not worth $150 but you gotta do one aint ya)

The Coaster Saloon in Mission Beach for steak and egg breakfast.

Places to stay

The Hotel Circle good cheap accomodation only a $10 cab fair from downtown SD.

If you are millitary take a trip to the NEX on 32nd street very good shopping.

Also Vijas is a good outlet mall about 45 min outside of SD on the way to El Centro.

Have fun and if you go into Freds let me know if my plaque is on the wall ;-)

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.