regulator

How much do booties in an RW suit help with leg control?

I have been reading the other post regarding the gentleman that mentioned he wanted to get into freeflying but did an occasional RW jump and was asking for advice regarding a suit for both. My question isnt related to that. I know I will have to get better on my belly before I attempt to grasp another dimension of flying (freeflying). So I got my new pit special from Tonysuits back from getting built on Tuesday and I was wondering what benefits could I notice from the vented booties on my new RW suit when I go out to the DZ this weekend?

The booties can help you in a few areas,
slow your fall rate down by the added drag
aide in making faster turns
aide in moving forward
aide in tracking
aide in falling down on landing since running in them is not always easy:).

Getting a little coaching (does not need to be any "Official" coach just some one with a little experience who is at the DZ) will help you master the many uses of booties.

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Controlable drag will help slow one down and Botties as well as Grippers are controlable drag.

If you are looking to fall faster you may need to add weight. But find an RW person at the DZ who can talk to your specifics, we can offer a bunch of advice but none of it may work from the www.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Why did you order a suit with vented booties if your fall slow?
From what I have heard vented booties are recommended more for heavier jumpers.

Booties are great and it will probably take a little time to get used to them. Like the other guy said talk to some people and get some advice in person, do a few jumps with them if possible.

Also like the other guy said if you have to run out your landing it can be more difficult. Personally I take my booties off after opening whenever possible, but MAKE SURE if you do this that your airspace is plently clear. This is an option not something that has to be done on every jump!

So since I'm 153 lbs soaking wet and I fall like a feather as compared to other jumpers (my aff instructor actually had to wear weights with me...and the instructor was a girl!) Would they help with my fallrate as well?

Do you fall fast or slow? Being relatively light and saying you fall "like a feather" led me to think you fall slow. But when you said your instructor had to wear weights with you, that would indicate your natural fall rate is faster than your instructor. What am I missing here? Is it that you fall slow, but she falls even slower?

Your subject line implies that the booties help you control your legs. Not so. Botties primarily enhance your ability to use your legs to control your body in flight. I was really surprised when I first wore booties at what a difference they made.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

yeah...it was way different to jump with booties for me as well....tracking and coming into formations, turns...all were alot faster --- oh but they are sooooo much fun!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Yeah you're right now that I think about it that statement is rather confusing. So the deal is I fall lightly still cause I only weigh 150 to 155 lbs (my entire adult life) and Val wore weights with me but it wasn't very much. So for someone my weight are vented booties a BAD idea or something I will just have to get used to?

aide in falling down on landing since running in them is not always easy:).
Matt

That's new to me... I landed downwind with my stilletto and booties a couple of times (Ben Johnson would be jealous :)) and never had problems running with them...

The only thing you have to be careful is with the first landings in the morning if you are on grass... the bootie sole (usually some kind of hide) gets pretty slippery on wet grass... which makes for some really nice turf surfing...
Una volta che avrete imparato a Volare, camminerete sulla terra guardando il cielo perchè è là che siete stati ed è là che vorrete tornare.

Your subject line implies that the booties help you control your legs. Not so. Botties primarily enhance your ability to use your legs to control your body in flight.

They also force an increase in awareness of what your legs are doing. Like you can get away with poor flare technique when jumping a very lightly loaded canopy but not under a heavily loaded one, you can get away with "happy feet" without booties but not so much with them.