skyesspot

Crossing Picket Lines...

Hey all, I'm looking for some advice/experience here. I have found myself in a union at my new job and now one of the other unions is going to be striking and I haven't heard yet if we are going to be asked to do a sympathy strike thing or not yet, but either way...

If I cross the picket line and come to work (I will actually be using a different entrance but I guess it's still considered crossing the picket line) what does that mean exactly...

Can my union do anything against me? Can my work fire me or write me up for NOT coming in?

I'm not looking for opinions on the actually strike issues just anybody who has been thru this and the ways to handle it and the consequences.

Thanks all

P.S. This may belong in the Speaker's Corner, I'm not sure...
Life is too short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Wait until YOUR union makes a decision. If it calls for a strike, then you're supposed to follow the motion. If so, it is unlikely your employer will do anything. If your union does not call for a strike, then you have no reason not to report for work.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Never cross a picket line.

That's your opinion, but does not bear on whether she CAN or CAN'T do it.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

depends on the unions involved. i work in a similar situation, and when the other union has picketed, we were told by our employer that we would not be crossing the picket line. basically, it's the company that signs your cheque, so if the order you to cross, you cross or you're awol and the company can take action against you, unless there's something in your contract that gives you the option.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I would be surprised if your employer would fire you for not coming in if it is a bona-fide union and a legal strike. If you’re not union though there may be an issue.

I dare not comment on the specifics though so please seek advice on this particular situation... but I would say it's unlikely if you’re union.

Take a look at your union and employment contracts to find out what your rights are. Trust me, if you cross a picket line, your union won't be too happy with you.

Then again, if you don't believe that the reason for striking is right, then make up your mind. Remember, peer pressure is a tough thing, and you'll certainly feel the pressure not to cross. Some serious pressure.

But sometimes you also have to take your own interests into consideration, and if you find yourself facing financial ruin for a cause you do not believe in, then I'd find the choice to be clear.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

This may belong in the Speaker's Corner, I'm not sure...

do you really want to debate the influences and effectiveness of unions in todays society?

SC is an evil evil place....
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Guess it all depends. 1st, if the other Union does goes on strike, does your union support the strike motion? Some unions say that they are going on strike but they really aren't on strike, they are just maybe making a show of opposition by "picketing".

2nd, If the other Union does go on strike and your Union supports their strike motion, and your called or asked to report for work, your shop/union steward is the person to ask for advice on what your local is doing. If they support it, the strike, you will be asked to not report for work. If you do report for work, through the back door, you will be labeled a SCAB. Your union could ask your employer to release you. Some unions have in their contract that if an active member of the union cross's a picket line, they could be released. I.E. you will not be entitled to the union umbrella of a representation and/or benefits and therefore have no job.

Ask your union. Thats the best rule!
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Check the contract your union has. If there is a no strike clause (most contracts have them), then your employer is justified in taking action, including termination, against you. Be careful, very careful.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Check the contract your union has. If there is a no strike clause (most contracts have them), then your employer is justified in taking action, including termination, against you. Be careful, very careful.

A good example of this is if you're a teacher in FL you're not allow to go on strike
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

Never cross a picket line.

That's your opinion, but does not bear on whether she CAN or CAN'T do it.

I think Tom may have been hinting at the safety aspect too. An asshat's Union picket line can be a violent violent place if you try and get by. Lot's of asshat's in one place at once. All of them taking it as a personal insult that you want to come in and do the job you are being paid to do.

If you find yourself having to cross a real picket line, go OVER it and not through... and do it in your CAR instead of on foot. ;)

But listen, just as the others said, wait until you hear from your Union. Consequences? There will likely be none if your union strikes and you don't go to work. If your union strikes and you still want to go?... Well then, make sure your car doors are locked when you drive over those on the line.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I've never really understood unions -- not the form that they've taken on since the 1950s, anyway. I was raised in the military, so those things were foreign to me. I remember having a conversation with a union worker's wife. It went something like ...

She: I'm worried. My hubby's union is going on strike and I don't know if we'll have the money to pay the bills and take care of the kids.

Me: Why doesn't he NOT go on strike then?

She: Because they are his FRIENDS, and he has to be behind his friends.

Me: Then why doesn't he explain to his friends that his family would undergo real hardships if they go on strike now, and that's why he needs to keep going to work?

She: Because they'd beat him up!

As I said, I just can't figure that system out. I've seen the office of the President of the United States, and I've seen the office of the President of the UAW. That frightened me!

Unions are like Organized Religion

There was once upon a time, an absolute, unquestionable NEED for organizations which would help those involved get by with reasonable expectations of a decent life... Over time however, these organizations became drunk with the power of control instilled in them and are used today by their members solely as excuses to do whatever the hell they want.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Indeed. I am member of a union (DGA) which I am also fighting as a business owner.:S
You're talking about health and Pension plans worth in the billions. Makes for interesting lawyers' fees though...B|:D

Unions are more like organized crime.

Only difference is their legal in the US.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Hey all, I'm looking for some advice/experience here. I have found myself in a union at my new job and now one of the other unions is going to be striking and I haven't heard yet if we are going to be asked to do a sympathy strike thing or not yet, but either way...

If I cross the picket line and come to work (I will actually be using a different entrance but I guess it's still considered crossing the picket line) what does that mean exactly...

Can my union do anything against me? Can my work fire me or write me up for NOT coming in?

I'm not looking for opinions on the actually strike issues just anybody who has been thru this and the ways to handle it and the consequences.

Thanks all

P.S. This may belong in the Speaker's Corner, I'm not sure...

You need to talk to your union steward. If you are in a union you will have someone who you work with that has prob. been there a long time who is your union steward. My dad is a union steward at his job. They went on strike and he DID NOT cross the line, the ones that did they called them scabbs (that sounds gross). But you union steward will be able to tell you, he or she is the one you go to when you need to file a grivance against your employer.
It's not what you do in life, it's what you do with your life that counts.

I agree with some of the postings on this thread, stating that (for the most part) unions are an antiquated institution unnecesary in today's world. BUT, that being said, I'll be interested to see what happens in the next 20 years or so as America's companies undoubtedly get HAMMERED by overseas manufacturing (it's bad now, it's only gonna get worse) and it becomes more and more difficult for companies to take care of themselves and their employees at the same time.

NOW, to give my opinion on your situation: you need to weigh the potential hardships of not working against the hardships of having to work with people who REALLY don't like you anymore. You'll have to go without your pay (strike pay from the union is a joke) if you strike, but if you cross the line then when the union does come back to work you'll be working with all the people you pissed off by crossing. Remember that these are the people you toe the line with every day, and could really make things rough for you.

To distill it to one phrase: "stick it out with the union if you can, cross the line if you have to."

Elvisio "ever watch Gung Ho?" Rodriguez

IMHO unions have outlived their purpose...and are hurting competitiveness and growth in our country...but in teh meantime, i would follow the advice of most here... crossing a picket line can be dangerous due to retaliation by the other union folk.. but at the same time you could be fired if its not part of your contract that you can strike. Most of the time, nothing will happen to you (and you will still get paid) but better safe than sorry.

What is the strike about? Health care? Other benefits?

Talk with your union Rep:|

yup, when I was union, there was a clause that if a union member crossed the picket line, the company would not put him/ her to work as a union employee, and that crossing a picket line voided the union membership... so unless the company put them to work as salried they were screwed.... never happened, i just thought that part of the contract was interesting... talk to your union rep... and possibly your employer to know what is expected of you along with what is in your contract