CanuckInUSA

More Bad News - I lost my job ... again ...

LOL ... I was thinking that I needed to find a place in the Pitt Meadows area so that I wouldn't have to commute to the DZ all that far.

If you are serious send me a PM. I am moving to Beiseker next week. My roommate has a place available (he's a jumper, large apt, good rent, <1 mi to the DZ.)

I can't look for work under the visitors visa.

For those who may be interested, I just got this interest nugget from that immigration web site concerning myself looking for work while holding a B-2 visitors visa.

The only distinction you need to understand is you can request a B-2 to wrap-up and move BUT you can’t request a B-2 to look for work. Sending resumes and interviewing while preparing a move isn’t a problem. Who knows, your next job could be in a different state and assumingly you’d be getting your next TN at POE so you will be departing eventually.

So assuming I get the B-2 (I still need to fill out the paper work and send the application in), it looks like my days in Colorado maybe numbered, but not my days as a NAFTA TN-1 technology worker in the USA. Hmmm ... which state should I relocate to? I know nor-Cal is the leader for my skills and experience. But the cost of living there is nuts. I guess I could look in some other (jumper friendly) places. Sucks to have to leave Colorado as I've really enjoyed my 7 years here (and I may still end up back home in Canada). But I guess I'll need to start surfing the job search web sites.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Hmmm ... this sucks ... I'll have to change my screen name when I leave right?

No! You can't have it! :P

Coming home wouldn't be so bad would it? I mean, other than paying 30 bucks for jumps to 10 grand out of a 182 for six months of the year, it's really not that bad...

Canuck

Calgary is an awesome city and the Alberta Rockies are to die for ... plus I've seen video of a 900 foot cliff. But yes, 30 dollars for 10k out of a Cessna 182 only 6 months of the year is not ideal. At least Pitt Meadows has a King Air and goes to 12.5 for the same 30 dollars. :)

The mind is spinning right now. I could go to:

The Bay Area
Phoenix
Orlando or Tampa
Seattle
Atlanta
maybe even TX

Shit as long as I could handle the Mormons, the Salt Lake City/Ogden area is a possibility for it's close proximity to both Moab and the bridge. Now wouldn't I fit in with all those religious Mormons? But good legal BASE jumping would be close and Skydive Ogden is a hip DZ. >:(

Calgary is an awesome city and the Alberta Rockies are to die for ... plus I've seen video of a 900 foot cliff. But yes, 30 dollars for 10k out of a Cessna 182 only 6 months of the year is not ideal. At least Pitt Meadows has a King Air and goes to 12.5 for the same 30 dollars. :)

The mind is spinning right now. I could go to:

The Bay Area
Phoenix
Orlando or Tampa
Seattle
Atlanta
maybe even TX

Shit as long as I could handle the Mormons, the Salt Lake City/Ogden area is a possibility for it's close proximity to both Moab and the bridge. Now wouldn't I fit in with all those religious Mormons? But good legal BASE jumping would be close and Skydive Ogden is a hip DZ. >:(

Wait!!! What's wrong with us in So Cal? Don't you like us??? ;)
Steve, sorry to hear about your lay off........ but seven years in one place is just begging for a new adventure. I have total faith that you'll make the absolute best of your situation. Your positive spirit will take you anywhere you want to go.
Good Luck man!!!!

Wait!!! What's wrong with us in So Cal? Don't you like us???

Oh I like you guys and Perris is a cool DZ. But the trafffic would drive me insane. Oh wait, I'm already insane. Heard much from Brandi in Atlanta?

I've been a temporary resident of the USA since 1998 working as a technology worker under a NAFTA TN-1 work visa. Now that I'm out of work, the INS says my work visa is no longer valid and I have 10 days to leave the country (no shitting you here). I'm not sure if my 10 days started today or if they will start tomorrow? But the clock is ticking. I knew these rules before I came here so I'm not surprised. I just got lucky with past job transitions. But not this time around and the INS isn't going to let me stay. So I will be leaving the country sometime within the next 10 days (I don't want to risk a permanent ban). The INS can be kind of anal if you haven't figured that out yet.

The INS is anal about things like that. I left one week before I was supposed to leave just to be on the safe side. Don't overstay by even a single day.

Good Luck,
Kris.