charly

canopy loading

i was just wondering if anyone can help with a dibate i'm having with a friend....

would two identical canopy's i'e Katana's but different sizes have to same flight caracteristics if loaded the same.

eg

170 katana loaded at 1.6
120 katana loaded at 1.6

i'm a big guy my friend is small. i'm thinking that if the canopy's are loaded the same then they'll act the same?????????????????????anyone?????

170 katana loaded at 1.6
120 katana loaded at 1.6

i'm a big guy my friend is small. i'm thinking that if the canopy's are loaded the same then they'll act the same?

No.

????????????????????anyone?????

Still no.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Firstly, if you're asking this question, then no, a Katana is most likely not the canopy for you.

Secondly, everything comes down to drag and line length. The 170 will have more drag and longer lines than the 120. Now, what all does that mean? This is something that would be much better explained by your local canopy mentor then some random people on the internet.

Also, the previously linked (in this thread) PD article is a good place to start.

Some other things that would be worth the time to read and learn from are some articles on Scott Miller's website: http://www.canopyskills.com/Articles/index.html
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There are different factors at work.

Having two canopies of the same design will tend to make them fly more similar to each other (than if they weren't the same design).

Having the same wing loading will also tend to make them fly more similar to each other.

However, having quite different sizes will tend to make them not fly the same, at least in certain ways.

Different sizes may not change the speeds much. At the simplest aerodynamic level, speeds will be the same. But the drag area of the jumper will not necessarily scale the same as the drag of the canopy. So the trimmed angle of dive and thus the speed may vary a bit, as will the glide angle.

What will change a lot is the dynamic feel of the canopy. Even if both are at the same wing loading, the smaller one will have shorter lines, less distance to travel to attain a particular bank angle, have less inertia, need less brake line movement for a given control surface deflection angle, and so on. The smaller one will be twitchier to fly.

The PD article previously mentioned goes into that stuff in more detail if it is the one I'm thinking of.

So I think one shouldn't throw out the idea that similar wing loadings tend to make canopies behave similarly. But also keep in mind that at a given wing loading, a larger canopy will be easier and smoother to fly, and a smaller canopy twitchier to fly.

The smaller canopy has shorter lines, will create less drag, but is more aggressive in turns.

I generally agree in the principle, but I'd like a precise answer how faster, how quicker, how further...

I just wonder if anyone assessed the "amount" in differences so far?

Is it 5, 10, 15, 20% ... ? how much it is?

thanks
Janusz

PS
I know how to calculate the drag of a bigger wing but this is just a minor difference. I'm much more interested in those general statements "much faster/quicker", etc.
Back to Poland... back home.