flyangel2

Bill Von rocks

I got a little present from him in the mail this weekend:)
GEKO 301

Now all I have to do is figure out how it works:S When it comes to stuff like this, I have to read and read, practice and practice.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

GEKO 301

Now all I have to do is figure out how it works:S When it comes to stuff like this, I have to read and read, practice and practice.

Nice - once you get used to using it, you'll wonder how you ever got by w/out one....

*note: still bring compass/map as backup, though!*
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

GEKO 301

Nice - once you get used to using it, you'll wonder how you ever got by w/out one....

*note: still bring compass/map as backup, though!*
_______________________________-

If, the Geko 301 is supposed to... map & compass...
I don't understand... :D

Chuck

The GPS works with batteries, and I don't plan on bringing too many extras with me when I'm trying to limit the amount of weight I'm putting on my back. Besides, I know how to use a compass and map much better then my new toy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Most small don't GPS's don't have topographic info loaded "stock", but some, like my E-trex Legend are capable of being uploaded with that stuff. The data in most stock, small units includes major roads, rivers, railroads, and occasionally some major powerlines. If you are really looking to navigate cross-country by identifiable terrain features you still need to carry a map. That said, I really, really like my GPS.

Chuck

Most small don't GPS's don't have topographic info loaded "stock", but some, like my E-trex Legend are capable of being uploaded with that stuff. The data in most stock, small units includes major roads, rivers, railroads, and occasionally some major powerlines. If you are really looking to navigate cross-country by identifiable terrain features you still need to carry a map. That said, I really, really like my GPS.

Chuck

Thanks! That clears that up! Sorry, I'm just not familiar with them.:$

Chuck

The GPS works with batteries, and I don't plan on bringing too many extras with me when I'm trying to limit the amount of weight I'm putting on my back. Besides, I know how to use a compass and map much better then my new toy.

That works!:)

Chuck

You'll never be lost again! ;) I have fun with my GPS and have gone on many adventures with Geocaching as well. Great way to stay in shape! :)
Hey, perhaps Skydive AZ can put it's coordinates on the map for us to 'find' all over again....:P

Nice one, billvon! B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The GPS works with batteries, and I don't plan on bringing too many extras with me when I'm trying to limit the amount of weight I'm putting on my back.

My E-Trex runs on 2 AA's, and I carry one spare pair. They're small enough that they don't weigh hardly anything. And they'll fit in a 35 mm plastic film canister in your pack.

If you leave it on continuously, you'll run the batteries down in six to eight hours, which is no good. You can use them up even on a simple day-hike. If I'm using mine at all, I just turn it on periodically to check my position, then turn it back off again. That way, a pair of batteries will last for quite a long time.

I use mine mostly for finding things which are marked on topographical maps. I have a special ruler used to extrapolate coordinates on topos, which can then be punched into the GPS, for finding the magic spot.

And I do the reverse too. If I find something neat which isn't on the topo maps, I'll capture the coordinates so that I can plot it later on my map to update it.

What?! He got you a GPS but couldn't bother to sew some solar panels into a jacket or maybe hook something into your shoes?! What kind of friend is he?? :D
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

:ph34r::ph34r:John, you silly guy. I have to figure out how it works before I start making those kinds of markers with it. Gee, I'm going to take it on my walk/run in a little bit here and see if I've figured out how to do the miles right.

Just ask Renee or Kris about me when it come to tech stuff.