jumper03

Okay Motorcycle peeps - help a n00b out...

what the difference between a street bike and a cruiser?

Cruiser - Most relaxed riding position of all the bikes, most have large v-twin engines. Lots of low end torque. Bikes: Harleys, Yamaha *Star, Honda Shadow, etc.. Sizes range from 250cc - 1800cc in metric bikes, not sure how big the Harleys get.

Street - Mix between sport and cruiser. More of an upright riding stance. Some V-Twin bikes, some inline twins, some inline 4s . Most have decent low-end torque with a spirited upper-rpm range. Sizes range from 250cc-1200cc. GS500 and SV650 are good examples.

Sport - A more street-friendly version of the supersport bikes. More agressive riding stance, which can be harder on the upper body, but still comfortable for everyday riding. More power in the higher rpms than bikes in the "street" class. Most are inline 4s in the 500 - 1000cc range. Bikes: SV650S, SV1000, Yamaha YZF600R. The 600cc bikes in this class can put out power in the 80-100hp range, with the larger 1000cc bikes making over 125-130. Less forgiving than the "street" bikes, but more so than the "supersport" bikes.

Supersport - Most aggressive riding position of all the bikes, and can be very uncomfortable on longer rides. Some are pretty much race-ready from the dealer, and have amazing power in the high (10-14,000) rpm range. 600cc can make 100-115hp, and the 750's and 1000ccs put out around 120-160hp. This class is very unforgiving, and would be a bad choice for a rider w/no previous experience. Bikes - Honda CBR600F4i/RR, Kawasaki ZX- series, Yamaha R6/R1, Suziki GSRX series.

Sport Touring - essentially a larger sport bike. These have a more relaxed riding position, and usually a large engine (900-1300cc range) for better performance on the highway.

Street/Dirt (or Dual Sport) - pretty much a 4-stroke dirtbike with different tires, mirrors, lighs, turn signals, etc.. Good for riding off road, and ok for riding on the road.

So whats the difference? The rebel is chain drive - what's bad about that? Why would shaft or belt be better?

If you're a daily long range rider, chains represent a lot of routine maintenence. Chains need cleaning and inspection for growing slack, need occasional replacement along with the sprockets, and master links bug me as a potential big failure point. O-rings may have improved it, but still present. And doing it is annoying enough that many will let it slide. Also, outside of the VFR, it's pretty rare that you see a chain bike going 50 or 100k. For the BMWs and the harleys that actually see daylight, it's routine.

That's why I paid 9k for a BMW instead of RF900. Other than checking for tire pressure, I don't barely need to look at it between the 6000 mi service intervals. Worked fine for 60k over 4 years, though I'll say BMW reliability might be a stretch. A few too many bad parts in the initial build for my taste.

Shaft gives up 10% of its performance, but that's rather irrelevent to the conversation, and slightly hilarious considering how little power a harley engine generates for its size.

All that said, the windscreen is more important than the drivetrain concern.

Same here, although above 100mph the wind can be a problem.

I've done 100mph before, its not my thing. I like kicking back at 70mph and just enjoying the ride.

The thing now, though, is I'm in the process of making a new front fender. I wasn't a big fan of the one I had, so I took it off. It was all fine and dandy, looks good, it's even fine in the rain. However, if its *really* wet outside its kind of annoying. So I'm making a new one, that I like.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Supersport - Some are pretty much race-ready from the dealer, and have amazing power in the high (10-14,000) rpm range. .

No bike is "pretty much race ready" from the dealer. Unless you know of a dealer that will drill holes in the frame, wire the bike together, remove the mirrors and the turn signals prior to you buying it.

I'm just curious as to what your definition of race ready is?

No bike is "pretty much race ready"

Ya... halet raceway here in oklahoma wants the bike safety wired, mirrors removed. Rear passenger pegs removed and all lights covered or removed. Thats only the beginning. Then you have to have a pan of sometype to catch all fluids in the bike incase of a engine crack. If you blow your engine on the track they dont want to clean up all your fluids. Then you need to tune the bike to get the best performance and that is to much work for the dealer. after that the tires have to go. 2 sets of tires have to be purchased...slicks and rain slicks. both pricy and they dont last long and forget just changing the rear. if the back wears down and you just change that... your front end will be wearing and loose some of its grip that it had when you first put it on. So...if you just change the back you will see what the pavement and the bike inches from your back tire taste like.

Other than that....

If I were you just getting back into the ride I would ride around a little since you have probably already bought the rebal. After you are confortable again I would personally look into a cruiser. I ride a supersport... Honda CBR 600F4i and love it but like other have said, long rides can be hell on your upper body and not to mention the sore ars. I bought the bike for the arkansas roads and the one wheel adventures. Cruisers will give you the pleasure of the rode and good gas mileage. OHHH and lets not forget a confortable ride.

The honda shadow is a nice bike to get if you want something easy to control and lots of power.

Really other than that,,, just enjoy yourself and give all of the other riders a wave.

"Believe me! The secret of reaping the greatest fruitfulness and the greatest enjoyment from life is to live dangerously!"
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

Supersport - Some are pretty much race-ready from the dealer, and have amazing power in the high (10-14,000) rpm range. .

No bike is "pretty much race ready" from the dealer. Unless you know of a dealer that will drill holes in the frame, wire the bike together, remove the mirrors and the turn signals prior to you buying it.

I'm just curious as to what your definition of race ready is?

By "race ready" I mean that there aren't many differences between the bike from the dealer and the bikes that are raced. I didn't mean that they were legal for track use.

Sorry for the confusion.

You wouldn't like my bike.:D

Chain drive, no windshield and I love it.B|

oh, it has its place. Makes for a great recreational bike, cruising skyline at 50.

It just sucks ass for freeway commuting at 80. If it makes me think about driving the cage, not right.

By "race ready" I mean that there aren't many differences between the bike from the dealer and the bikes that are raced. I didn't mean that they were legal for track use.

Sorry for the confusion.

I agree...race ready to me means that you can take it to the track virtually stock and be competitive. Any of the CCS type races can be run competitively on a stock sportbike. It's all in the rider. In fact, I was at Sears Point/Infinium last year for the AMA Superbike races and there was a privateer running a stock R1 (virtually right out of the crate) who didn't finish last...of course he ran slicks and safety wire, but that bike was the same bike you and I could buy at the local dealership.

Give me a factory prepped race bike and let me race Freddie Spencer on a 1980 CB750...guess who wins. Not me...

It just sucks ass for freeway commuting at 80. If it makes me think about driving the cage, not right.

Speak for yourself, I love it. I don't like windshields actually, for a variaty of reasons.

That's why my bike is my bike, its not yours and you don't have to like it. I, however, love my bike and love riding it, especially good distances.

fair enough, but do you think it's good advice to give a new commuter?

Actually, yes I do. I think that its something that folks have to find on their own. To say simply "don't get a chain drive and you have to get a windscreen" isn't fair.

Personally, drive train isn't that big of a deal. Windscreens that are mounted on triple trees I don't like. I can feel the sail effect in anything but a straight on head wind or tail wind and it bugs me to no end. In a serious cross wind its beyond annoying.

That's some of my reasoning.

Overall I think it the most fair to give opinions and let the buyer find what he or she likes the best.:)

fair enough, but do you think it's good advice to give a new commuter?

Actually, yes I do. I think that its something that folks have to find on their own. To say simply "don't get a chain drive and you have to get a windscreen" isn't fair.

Personally, drive train isn't that big of a deal. Windscreens that are mounted on triple trees I don't like. I can feel the sail effect in anything but a straight on head wind or tail wind and it bugs me to no end. In a serious cross wind its beyond annoying.

That's some of my reasoning.

Overall I think it the most fair to give opinions and let the buyer find what he or she likes the best.:)

Besides, windscreens are for pussies. So are bike trailers.

To the guy ragging on Harleys for quality. Your anecdotal evidence sucks. I have a Fatboy and ride with people who have a variety of Harleys and none of them have any abnormal problems like you describe. Maybe the people you know who have problems with their Harleys are stinkin yuppies who don't know the difference between being pissed on and a piston. :D:D:D:D

Honda CB750K, CB750F, Nighthawk-S
Harley XLCR
Honda CBR1000F
Yamaha FZ1

I really miss the CB750F...to date that was my favorite bike...

My 2nd bike was a CB750F, with and 825 race kit in it, that thing used to friggin fly :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
But it did blow up one month after I sold it:o
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Maybe the people you know who have problems with their Harleys are stinkin yuppies who don't know the difference between being pissed on and a piston. :D:D:D:D

Or...maybe not. I have ridden motorcycles recreationally and for transportation since I was 16 (I'm 35 now). My friends have ridden for a similar chunk of their lives, and their dads for much longer. Not a bunch of Chain wallet wearing black tshirt sporting west coast chopper bell dangling knucklehead RUBS here...;)B|

Maybe I've just come across ALL the lemons in the last 20 years of Harley Davidson production...sorry to rag, I just wouldn't buy one again. But hey, if it works for you and you have as much fun on your bike as I have on mine, then all the better. Nothing like strapping on the tent and heading nowhere...

Let me tell you an anecdote about this. The moral of the story is that each bike finds his own path. None are pussies...some are just not yours.

Last year I made haul with my dad ot Oakland, CA from DFW. 3500 miles round trip. We did it in 2 1/2 days out and 2 1/2 days back. We saw my grandmother (unannounced) for 2 days in the middle. This was a once in a lifetime trip..and covered a lot of weather and a lot of scenery. From raining cold in the high desert to 100 degree plus 2 hours in the Mohave desert. Riding 14 hours days without extensive sleep, this was the most challenging ride I have ever made.
I ride a fatboy without saddle bags. My Dad rides a Heritage Classic with bags. We both had tbags, and carried everything including some food, etc (my dad is diabetic). We had rain gear, and covers for the gear, with a pillow strapped on the front of the tbag, half to sleep on at night, half to lean on riding.
My point is this was a haul. And anyone that is really a rider will know what I am talking about. Looking back, I love the memories.

On to the anecdote: Eastern New mexico...we are running in behind a storm, this was last June, anyone in Texas will remember the storms. Some of the most dramatic cloud structures I have ever seen, let alone ridden behind. We were chasing this storm because we had to...time to get home. We are in full rain gear, doing 75ish on I40, and am using all my nerves to watch the wet road. In the middle of the high desert, we get passed by 3 bikes, with boys wearing colors of some sort. One is on a chopped out knucklehead/panhead, on is on a sporty with what literally looks like a cooler strapped on the back under a pancho (and he is a BIG boy). They are all wearing street clothes with there MC jackets, no helmets, and sunglasses. And they pass us in the rain. These boys are tough.
So skip ahead 6 hours, we are in coming out of the panhandle of Texas, finally nearing home, it is now HOT and muggy and the black clouds are still everywhere. We stop to get gas, and run into this guy on a goldwing with a trailer. We talked to him...he started in Austin two weeks ago, went up the west coast to oregon or alaska, then cut back through the widwest in a diagonal and had just come back into Texas bound for austin. He said he spent the morning riding next to a big rig to block the sleet in Kansas. So we fill up and watch him drive off. Then it occurs to me. "Dad, you think that guy looks at our harley's all strapped down, and goes MAN, those guys are hardcore! Just like we did with the boys in NM?"

It all depends on your point of view and the kind of riding you do. There are certain rides that I could not have made with out a windshields and some 'pussy' gear. Anyone who can my hat is off to them. For me it would have ruined the trip. There are rides that would be hard to make without the trailer that guy had. Jesse James once said, "If you can't carry it in your pocket, you don't need it" as his TV crew trailers followed him to sturgis...hmmm:S
Then there is a guy who rode from tip to tip of the US (North Slope, AK to Key West, FL) in his 60s on a BMW in 4 days!
We all ride for personal reasons with personal styles. I don't get a lot of them. But I know what is comfortable for me and what makes it enjoyable. As you mature as a rider you pick up tips that make long hauls easier.
There was a time where I had to make first load and last party. Then there came a point where I no longer enjoyed doing it and so that defeated the point. Same thing with riding.

Riding is independent. Ride free.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

just my two cents... been riding 20 years now

don't buy the extra's with the bike. Get them seperate or at a different place. might be cheaper. The bike is low power, but you will be able to control it without difficulty. Why only 60 miles on it? any repair work? crash with rebuild? Honestly, if you are fine with possibly upgrading in a year, and the bike has no history, go for it and enjoy.
ignorance is not bliss

We all ride for personal reasons with personal styles. I don't get a lot of them. But I know what is comfortable for me and what makes it enjoyable. As you mature as a rider you pick up tips that make long hauls easier.
Riding is independent. Ride free.

AMEN, awesome story. Ever read the journals of Glen Heggstrom "The Striking Viking"?

http://www.strikingviking.net/

This is the guy who rode from Palm Springs to the Tip of South America and back in 12 months, getting kidnapped by the ELN in Columbia along the way, and upon being released continued his journey.

Also, my personal motorcycle hero is Gary Eagan...he currently holds the North/South transcontinental record for riding from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West (5700 miles) in 4 days and 5 hours (that's averaging 56 mph for the whole trip by the way!). He did this aboard a Ducati Multistrada Dual-Sport...This guy is probably the leading expert on long distance riding...

Ride ON!