Bouda

Smokers that quit!!!

My brother has tried several times to quit, his major problem is going to the pub every sits around smoking. We went over seas for a month and he was fine until we came back through duty free...
Personally when I was working in theatres I started smoking a bit, it was sort of a communial thing. But after got out of the theatre industry I decided to stop, I was lucky -no cravings or anything- I just decided to stop and I did, never been tempted again.

1) You have to be ready to quit,
tell your self every day that you wan't to quit, research all the health risks, scare yourself silly by looking at pictures of diseased lungs etc etc.
2) Get rid off all tobacco, believe me if you can get it out of the bin then you will.
3) When your cigs don't flush away don't take it as an act of god that he/she still wants you to smoke.
4) Use something to take the edge away, Gum is good, Nicotinell is better than Nicorette. It will still take a LOT of will power also.
5) Use lots of the gum, read the instructions, its ok to use 20 pieces a day. Use it, you'll need it.
6) Tell your friends you are quitting, tell them SERIOUSLY that its not cool to keep offering them to you as a joke or trying to get you to fail. If they do this its cos secretly they are also jealous of your will power and capability to quit.
7) Take up more excecise, this will highlight how bad your lungs are and also help you to repair them and get them working properly again.
8) Excercise will also help keep the pounds off because you will eat more. Try to keep better and healthier snack food in the house. Stuff you can nibble on thats low in cals and good for you, Fruit Veg, rice cakes. Not chocolate and biscuits.
9) Read more, your mind will be distracted and you'll learn more. Even comics.
10) If you live with a smoker this will be very hard but not unachievable.
11) Don't be fooled into thinking 3 weeks down the road its ok to have just one cig. its not. It only takes 1 cig and you will be right back there as if you never gave up. Even a year down the road when you think that a single cig will make you feel so ill, it is still dangerous, your body remembers how to smoke and 1 cig is all it takes.
12) You will feel so much better in just 3-5 days, your lungs will be better, your taste and smell will massively improve! You will cause less wrinkles, your skin will improve, your fingers less yellow.
13) Take note of how bad smokers smell next time you are out and 5 days into quitting.
14) BEST of all, your oxygen intake when skydiving will be much better, you will yawn less on the way up.
15) Remember when stressed, cigs are not the answer, recognise when you are stressed.
16) The cash will come rolling in, In the UK its £4.50 a pack of 20, my habit of 20 a day/extra at weekends, plus my girlfriends habit was costing us £3500 a year. (>$6500). Thus I bought a running Machine.

I have been quit over 2 years now, previously smoking for 5 years. I tried 4 times to quit in the 2 years before and relapsed every time, once even switching to heavy duty cigars and making things worse. Quitting was the the best thing I ever did. I am not a Doctor so heed my advice, but only YOU can do it!

Seriously give the book a try. I was like "read a book to stop?" so was pretty sceptical.

I think it works by changing the way you think. For example, you're not giving up you're stopping. Giving up makes you think you're depriving you're body of something but you're not.

And don't use Nicotine Replacement Therapy (gum, patches etc). You're still feeding the Nicotine Monster then!

Don't put off 'till tomorrow what you can do today

I tried Zyban but the side effects were to much for me. It made my hands and feet itch very badly. It was so bad that if I was driving I would have to pull over and scratch. I found that the patches worked the best for me.

What could possibly go wrong?

I suddenly realised that the only reason I was going to smoke the next cigarette was because I smoked the last one. When you can look at it that way, it doesn't really make sense to carry on.

BTW if you doing think you can do the "Cold Turkey Shit" or at least try it then you are pretty much screwed, its gonna take some willpower.

BOOM Headshot

... its gonna take some willpower.

Pretty much the underlying theme across the board...

Willpower: Screw it. I'm NOT smoking anymore.

Congrats to all those who managed to quit. I am happy for you that you've done it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Smoked for 27 years. I tried everything and could not quit... so I quit quitting. Then my father was diagnosed with Emphasima (sp?) and my Mom gave me a pack of Zyban but I still had to make that personal decision to stop. After that it was easy with the help of Zyban It's going on 16 months with out so much as a puff. And I can't believe the difference in quality of life between when I smoked and now. I feel like a teenager again :)Give it up, it's worth it. But hey.. I loved it when I did smoke !
"Africa is not for sissies"

I hate to give you that cold turkey shit especially since you specifically asked people not to do it, but the simple fact is that after 25 years of 2 packs per day of Marlboro Red's, I went cold turkey and have not had a cigarette for almost 5 years.

The truth is that in order to be sucessful at quitting, you actually have to really want to quit.
Most people that try to quit do so because they feel they should, their doctor told them, its for their kids, costs too much money, or whatever. But they dont actually WANT to do it.

I tried this several times over the years and failed.

When I got to a point where I really really wanted it deep inside,
cold turkey was easier than any 10 qutting aids I had tried in the past. Easier than nicotine gum, easier than the patch, easier than all of them.

WANT it and you will suceed.
Secretly resent the fact that you have to quit, and you will probably fail no matter what tricks or aids you employ.
__

My mighty steed

Sunflower seeds - the ones still in the shells - make sure you have loads of them lying around - taken them to the pub.......they give you something to go with your hands and mouth (watch the more sexually frustrated dz.commers jump all over the one!) that used to be the job of the cigarette.

Of course, didn't work for me, I'm back on them again, but will be quitting again very soon, so I'll be stocking up on the seeds.......but keep telling yourself, from the very first hour, how well you are doing and that just one drag would fuck up your good record.

Good luck!!

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

like many smokers, you've probably tried to quit in the past. just remember how shitty that first cigarette tasted after a week or so of not smoking. also start working out, or if you already work out, increase your cardio to really tax your lungs. these things gave me the incentive not to smoke and i used the patch to take the edge off. also, stay away from alcohol for a long time.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

19 days with no cigarettee. I figure it will be easier, WHEN I make it to 30 days. The rough part, was haing to quit alchol, just to quit tobacco...

When,,, will it get easier?
If there are no trials in life,how will u know what is really imprtortant
liv2luv
luv2liv,,,SUMMOOO 1

lucky

what did you do to fight to urge and don't give me that cold turkey shit either!!!!

I'm using the patch system 21mg 4wks, 14mgs 2wks, 7mgs 2 wks. I'm on my last week of 21mg. It's been almost a full month since I quit.

To fight the urges at first it's really pretty easy. Chew straws, hard sugar free candy or sunflower seeds. Just something to keep your mouth busy. You don't want to gain weight at the same..

Since I've quit I find the urges are more mind over matter. I am still on the patch so I'm geting my nicotene. It's more a mental fight everytime I want a cigarette. Myself tells me.. WTF am I doing? What would 1 cigarette hurt? I just keep telling myself, ya a cigarette would fix this urge for about 20 mins then I'll just want another then another.. next thing you know you're smoking again.

I like not smelling like an ashtray. Just find something you really dislike about smoking and remember that everytime you get the urge.

Also the BIGGEST Difference in quiting this time then the previous 2 times. Was I set a date. Set a DATE that you will be putting them down forever. Then stick to it. You'll find you'll start getting edgy, smoking more and even trying to fight the urge to just move the date. Don't do it and then do it.

Just takes some will power and a serious "want to quit" you cannot do this for anyone but you.

Good luck.

Edi to add since I scrolled back up and some people altered their lifestyles and quit this or that.

I've not quit anything I did before. I still drink my coffee in the morning, drank coffee the very first day. I've drank beer, whiskey etc.. I've got some strong will power. Do what you have to do. Just don't alter your life to much or it will feel very akward and not right. When things aren't "right" I tend to get the urge to smoke more and it's much stronger. Then you're back to fighting the urges etc....

ok I'll hush now.. I'm just going thru all this as I type this post.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

You find a way.

"The Bottom line if you want something Bad enough in life thats in your power to Control you can Quit and Beat the Habit. Smoking is something you can control no body put a 44 mag to your head and say smoke this. The problem is its a addiction to nicotine if your a real true chain smoker. Break the Addiction. I had a friend that smoked for 25 yrs a true chain smoker he got it in his head that he was truely tired of smoking and truely wanted to quit. He did and beat it by the power of his mind No shit. The Mind is a very powerful tool and you can do it if you truely desire to Quit.

I bought my last pack of cigarettes and scotch taped (LOTS of tape!) a photo of someone that I loved more than cigarettes on each side. I had those cigarettes with me all the time. All I had to do was destroy the photos to get to them.

After about 4 days, the nicotine addiction was over.

After about 2 weeks, the psychological addiction was over.

It took over a year for the habits of thinking about reaching for a cigarette first thing in the morning, wanting one with coffee, etc., to end. It was harder than hell to quit, but it *can* be done!

Two other things that helped me were:

-- Figuring out how much they cost me per year (including ruined shirts, lighters, and other incidentals). It was a lot of money to waste.
-- Realizing that, after the first one in the morning, I really didn't enjoy the rest I smoked that day ... I smoked them because I was addicted to them.

opps,,, posted on the old lady'es account again

peanut

19 days with no cigarettee. I figure it will be easier, WHEN I make it to 30 days. The rough part, was haing to quit alchol, just to quit tobacco...

When,,, will it get easier?

Pappy, it doesn't really get any easier. For what it's worth, I'm proud of you! :)Keep it up!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1