d123

Reline?

I've bought my canopy with "200" jumps on it and I've put 100 this year.
The openings were never on heading and lately they got worse. After the long snivel it surges right in front of me. Then for 4-5 sec it rocks back and forth while looking un-inflated (the nose looks closed). All this time I have no control over the heading using rear-risers so I can't do any canopy avoidance maneuver (unless you count cut-away as one) if I need one.
After the opening episode it flies and lands pretty good!
I don't roll or push the nose back while packing and I haven't change my packing habits.

Do you guys reckon that a re-line might fix the problem?
(For the record this started happen before having my canopy covered in mud).

Regards,
Jean-Arthur Deda.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

does it fly well : AFTER OPENING, or AFTER YOU POP YOUR BRAKES ?

After the opening seizure with the brakes still stowed it flies well. I'll check the brake length from tail to cascade point and from there to the cat eye and (finger crossed) I might need to change only those lines.

Micro-line shrinks with exposure to heat. Friction during slider movement, flight and control inputs all creates heat.

After the amount of jumps you described the canopy is quite likely out of trim - add to that the '200 jump guess' and I'd say it's almost definite.

Have the line trim checked, and if out of tolerance, send it back for a reline.

Blues
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

On the reline ?

I have relined several, simply because PD and Icarus always mark thier lines., pretty basic.
But now need to reline the JVX and the line data does not really tell me shit.

Anyone in the states doing these or could offer the measurements so I can attach.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

300 jumps on a line kit isn't bad but it's out of trim for sure. The brake lines will shrink many inches. The most outboard lines will shrink more than the inboard lines also. What you're describing sounds as if the brake setting is much deeper than it should be due to the shrinkage.

Here's a good tip. Don't help it open. Be sure you're squared off when you pull, when you feel the canopy start to set you up, put your legs together and let it open.

Skydiving canopies may or may not open on heading, you just kinda have to go with it sometimes. If you help it along by trying to steer the opening , it's definitely going to open inconsistently.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i dont see what sort of canopy it is,i see pd mentioned alright.
it def sounds like that the brake line has schrunk considerably.best thing to do get your local rigger to inspect it.he will be able to tell you if the canopy is out of trim.it sounds to me that it is! i think PD have a tolerance off 2" allowance and then advise to reline the canopy, 300 jumps is not a big no on a line set,i would expect 400-450 jumps out of a line set.
question for youhow often do you take the twists out of you brake ine when you pack? i have found that people that dont do this that there lines shrink a lot faster over a period of time.
also there should be no need to send the canopy back to the manufacturer,your rigger should be able to order a line set and put them on for you.
blue skies and safe landings
rodger

I haven't remove any twists for 50 jumps or so. :| I don't let go of my toggles until I've stowed them so I'm thinking that I shouldn't have any twist but I might be wrong in my assumtion!

Even if you do not let go of the toggles before you restow your brakes after landing, you will still get twists in your brake lines. You won't get as many, but over time they'll still twist up. It only takes a few extra seconds during your last pack job of the day to remove the twists. Not to mention that if you leave even a few twists in the lines they will set in over time and you'll never get them out.