sjc

Questionnaire about skydiving and simulators

http://www.sjcomp.com/survey/
Hello, everyone. I am a student at the University of New Hampshire. And I am making a research about skydiving for one of my classes. I am almost a certified skydiver ;) If you have time can you fill out an online questionnaire of 12 questions that I made. It should take just a minute.
I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot!

This is the link:
http://www.sjcomp.com/survey/
Regards, Alexander. http://staticlineinteractive.com

ok done my friend and i were just talking about a flight sim that had skydiving in it would kick ass. we are both waiting on san andreas to come out on PC so we can base dive in the game

Look what i made at work today mom!! Put it on the fridge
http://www.bouda.moonfruit.com

Let's pretend that it is a marketing research :) You can browse my website and see that I am kind of into 3D and and I do like skydiving. I wanted to take an MBA related class, but I am from electrical engineering major so here I am :) merging all of my interests together trying to make sense of all of this business stuff :)

To freeflygoddess:
Yep I screwed the #3, though I tried to add another option later, let's see if it would work out, because I was doing it under the hood :)

Is this market research?
What's the purpose of the research, if I may ask...?

1. He writes simulation software.
2. One of the questions is, "How much would you pay for this software?"

Personally, I can't see a market for it, even among game enthusiasts. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

Well I started to fill in the information till I came to this:

skydiving simulator

Do you mean a video game, or a wind tunnel?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Is this market research?
What's the purpose of the research, if I may ask...?

1. He writes simulation software.
2. One of the questions is, "How much would you pay for this software?"

Personally, I can't see a market for it, even among game enthusiasts. Not trying to be negative, just realistic.

I think you are very wrong. My wuffo friends are the ones that showed me the BASE jumping in san andreas right after it came out and they do that more than they play the actual missions or go on rampages killing everything.

Greenie in training.

This was my question too.

What's meant by "skydiving simulator"?

Software only or a hardware/software combination?

Is it meant to be a game or a tool?

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

I can see a market for a skydiving game. You'd have to do much better than what was previously done though (I'm thinking of Skydive! from Gonzo Games (if I got it right) which sucked).

The skdiving/BASE in GTA: SA is way cool fun. But, if that's all a new game did, it would get old fast.

As for a true simulator, I think the success would hinge on how well the physics were implemented.

I posted some thoughts on what a skydive simulator could do Here.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

As a programmer, I would think it would be ethical for ya to do one of two things when considering programming a skydiving sim:

1) If the sim is not intended to be used as an educational tool, please document that in the manual/instructions (protect yourself from the whuffos) :P

2) If the sim IS really intended to be written to simulate reality, I would try to consult with a lot of knowledgeable folks when you add features to the application, like HUD of the standard L landing pattern, proximity to other skydivers, showing the altimeter and the recommended altis in the USPA SIM, simulating an AAD (that would be cool), and simulating landing obstacles (wind turbulence too close to buildings, trees and power lines, etc). This would add a lot of value to your sim since it's not only good for gamers, but also is a teaching tool and will attract a "devotee" audience.

I'm curious though... how you would simulate leg/arm/torso movements in the freefall phase in a SIM with a standard game controller?

The last time I ever played with a skydiving sim was PilotWings on a nintendo It wasn't very accurate now that I remember it, but it was cool to land on the movable water floatie thingies. :P

I would suggest putting a warning even if it's meant to simulate reality. Just to CYA.

I'm curious though... how you would simulate leg/arm/torso movements in the freefall phase in a SIM with a standard game controller?

I can see a couple of ways.

One would be to select a body part and then use the sticks to move it. You could only move one at a time (or two if your going to mirror left/right arm or leg movements). This would be very difficult to move around trying to build a formation or whatever. But it could let you experiment with what would happen when if you make small body movements.

Another would be to generalize the movements. For example, move a stick up to go forward and the body position changes accordingly. Back to go backwards, left/right to turn. other stick to move up/down on z-axis, buttons to front/back loop, ...

--Art

will you post the results later on?

Sure, I will B|

to flyangel2:

Do you mean a video game, or a wind tunnel?

#7 and #8 are about complete Virtual Reality simulators. And I was referring to a software program like a game with a "software skydiving simulator". No wind tunnels yet.

to PalletMan:

Is it meant to be a game or a tool?

I guess it can be both, but less of a game and more of a tool. And I've seen your thread about software ideas. That's cool, now I want such thing too :)
to christoofar:
Thanks for the ideas.

to all:
People are more communicative than I thought and this is good! Let's wait and see what statistics shows. It will be funny to end up with a conclusion that 50% of people from this site would like to try simulator, but would not jump for real :o Thoug I am quite sure it is not the case ;)

I sent you a PM shortly after you posted this.

I tried writing a simulator for a game engine a while back, but I'm not a good enough programmer to pull it off. The control scheme would be fairly simple and fairly robust/realistic at the same time. The difficult part comes in turning that game into a simulator that can be used as a training device, but I've got ideas for that too, just not the time or money to back it.

Mike