WatchYourStep

Digital Camera Experts Help Me

I'm getting ready to finally break down and buy a digital camera. This is for rec use only and not for skydiving pictures. I was sure I wanted a Canon Elph that was 4 megapixels. The place I was going to buy it sells it for 331. When I went in the guy said check out this Canon Elph that is on sale. The 3.2 megapixel model is normally 260, but now it is on sale for $200. Do I save $130 and get the 3.2 megapixel camera or do I pony up the extra cash and get the 4 megapixel. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Those prices seem to be on the steep side, especially for a low megapixel camera. Seriously, I wouldn't buy anthything less than 4mp now, and that's cutting it thin. there really isn't any excuse to go lower than 5mp now. In fact, you can get the 5mp Elph at Walmart dot com for ~$365, and a Kodak Easyshare 6.1mp w/docking station for under $300 at the same web site. With todays cameras, the quality under 5mp is just plain horrible.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Those prices seem to be on the steep side, especially for a low megapixel camera. Seriously, I wouldn't buy anthything less than 4mp now, and that's cutting it thin. there really isn't any excuse to go lower than 5mp now. In fact, you can get the 5mp Elph at Walmart dot com for ~$365, and a Kodak Easyshare 6.1mp w/docking station for under $300 at the same web site. With todays cameras, the quality under 5mp is just plain horrible.

Thanks, that saved me alot of typing :D

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Another thing- I got an Olympus digital camera for Christmas. We knew nothing about them before I got the camera, and I still don't know much. It only came with a 16mb memory card.
Being a new camera, we played with it a lot. The batteries were dead within 45 minutes and the memory card was full. We had batteries, but no memory card. Went to a couple of family parties Christmas day and couldn't save many pictures. My advice is go ahead and buy a memory card and rechargeable batteries WITH the camera.

And check Costco if you can. They seem to have a really good selection and reasonable prices.

Thanks for all the help. Sometimes I don't shop around enough. Now I'm having 2nd thoughts on an ultracompact camera. Several of the reviews say the LCD screen isn't covered under warranty. I want a light portable on the go camera and I thought the Elph was the one. I guess I'll have to rethink my decision.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Here is some of the scoop on digital cameras. First, look for the highest megapixel rating in your price range. As a general rule, higher megapixels means higher cost. This is the most important feature and directly effects picture quality.

Here is a Guide:

1-megapixel cameras produce images that are good for use on the web or in email. You usually find these cameras integrated with other electronics, such as wireless phones, PDAs, web cams and digital camcorders.

2-megapixel cameras provide significantly better pictures and you can print 4" x 6" pictures that are comparable to good 35mm film cameras.

3-megapixel models provide superb prints up to 5" x 7" and are well suited for serious amateur or business use, especially when close-up shots and enlargements are needed.

4-megapixel cameras deliver professional-looking results in all standard print sizes and are even suitable for prints up to 8" x 10".

Cameras with 5.0 or more megapixels provide extremely high-quality images. Professional photographers use cameras of this caliber. Images can be enlarged significantly.

Optical vs. digital zoom

Unlike just about everything else digital, this is one case where digital is not better. A little digital zooming is just fine, but too much will cause your picture to look grainy and "pixelated." So why would anyone choose a digital zoom? The simple answer is that digital zoom costs less than optical and digital zoom is better than not having any zoom.

Optical zoom works just like the zoom lenses in film cameras and may use multiple lenses and motors to create the perfect picture. Obviously, the more advanced and powerful the zoom, the more expensive it will be, but a powerful optical zoom gives you more control and better results on your prints.

Next is memory. If the camera comes with any type of memory card, it will very small in capacity. Be sure to get another memory card for the camera you choose with at least 128 mb. Here is a case for larger is better (512 mb or 1 Gig) but as always, it comes with a price.

Most digital cameras are fully automatic and simple to use. But just as with film cameras, some better digital cameras give the advanced user manual options for shutter speed, focus, speed shooting, backlighting and a host of other features. These cameras meet the requirements of skydiving will generally put you into the SLR Digital Cameras. These look and act just like a standard 35mm camera and use separate lenses. Unfortunately, they are on the higher end of the price range.

I hope this helps with some of your questions. Good Luck with the search. Let me know if I can help.

Randy

One thing I wanted to add...which is a great benefit. Especially with the good optical zoom. Image stabilization....if you can get it...do it.

I have a Fuji S5100...camera rocks...just missing image stab....makes a HUGE difference. :)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I just cannot agree with your mp vs. quality generalizations. Mp ratings are nothing more than vague guidelines. I have (had?) a 2.1Mp Vivitar that wasn't good enough (in my opinion) to email, much less call it equivilent to 35mm film. The general agreement today is that to equal the quality of 100iso 35mm film, you need an 11mp camera with excellent optics.

I will repeat, with today's technology and prices, there is no reason to buy below 5mp, and really, look at the 6mp and up cameras.
It's your life, live it!

Check out this site.....oodles of info.

www.dpreview.com

Rev......sorry but cant agree with you on the everybody needs a 5.0 mp camera or higher....sure the more the better....but most people are not going to be printing off poster sized pictures......I have a Canon S1 IS 3.2 mp and it suits my needs just fine....One thing I will say is ...the more optical zoom the better......digital zoom sucks unless your in the 8.0 mp range.

The general agreement today is that to equal the quality of 100iso 35mm film, you need an 11mp camera with excellent optics.

I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I have seen pictures off of a 2.1 megapixel camera that will blow you away when it comes to image quality. I did not believe they were taken with a 2.1 camera until I saw the EXIF information of the picture.
It has everything to do with the internals of the camera and how the pictures are taken, but a 6 megapixel camera for vacation pictures that are not going to be printed ANY larger than 5x7 (maybe the occasional 8x10) is absolutely overkill.

Right now I have a backup 2.1 megapixel camera (Digital Elph) that's about 4 years old.. the quality of those pictures is significantly less, I agree. But if you buy a 3.2 or 4 megapixel camera today, you will not be disappointed.

(You too, Iwan)

I didn't say "needs", people, but with todays prices, why pay slightly less for considerably less quality. For example, I've used a friends 6.1mp Kodak, and I was simply amazed at the quality, for under 300 bucks. Why pay 300 for a 4mp or so, when you can have 6mp for the same price?

Just because 4mp might be ok to start shooting with does NOT mean that anything over that is overkill.

Look for the highest rating in your price range.
It's your life, live it!

MODERATOR: Can you move my post to the Photography Section? Thanks.

Thanks again for the input. Hindsight being 20/20 this should have been posted in the photography section. Sorry [:/]

I'm probably going to end up going with the Elph anyway. I want a small camera. Something I can just put in my pocket and go. That rules out 6 megapixel cameras for under $300.

If anyone has an ultracompact camera and would care to weigh in, thanks.

(You too, Iwan)

Just because 4mp might be ok to start shooting with does NOT mean that anything over that is overkill.

Look for the highest rating in your price range.

I agree here, don't go cheaper because you won't need it anyways.. figure out what you can afford (or want to spend) and start looking in that range.

looks like he already made up his mind on the Elph.. the new SD400 is NICE! and it's super compact!

I'm open for suggestions of actual cameras. I want an ultracompact camera with good shots. I'm a snap and shoot guy. The manual options are probably cool, but most likely I will never use them. I'll probably never print an image bigger than 5 x 7.
Always open for ideas. If I have to spend some extra cash to get the better quality that is fine. If I had to put a budget on the camera alone I would say between $300-$400.

I have a 3.2 mp Elph and absolutely love it. Small, takes great photos (I've printed and framed some 8x10s and people have been really impressed with the quality). I actually went from a 4.0 to a 3.2 when my old Kodak died. I decided that for what I was willing to spend, I'd rather go a little lower in MP to get the compactness of the Elph. Haven't been disappointed at all. I don't imagine I'll ever print anything bigger than 8x10, so 3.2 MP works great for me.

(Check on Ebay, btw, sometimes you can get better deals on brand-new cameras there.)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm open for suggestions of actual cameras. I want an ultracompact camera with good shots. I'm a snap and shoot guy.

In that case.. definately take a look at the Elph series, they have amazing image quality, they are nice and compact, and sturdy (metal case)
Mine has been dropped, bumped, whatever kind of abuse you can do to a camera and it still works as new.

Just remember when you take pictures, hold the camera with two hands, even though it's a small camera. It will help with image stability, which means sharper pictures for you. :P

There are soooo many camera's out there for the point and shoot crowd (that includes me)

Pick a camera with decient mp .......at least 3x optical zoom.....keep in mind the type of batteries it takes.......special battery packs can be quite expensive to keep a second set handy...where as a good rechargable set of AA's(NiMH) are not(digital camera's eat alkline batteries) overly expensive and last fairly long(dependant on the camera).......you also have to look at the cost of memory cards....CF and SD seem to be the most common and resonably priced right now...

Stick with a well know name....get a camera that takes AA's and uses one of the more common memory card formats....and dont forget the optical zoom.

thats all the newbie advise I have to give..me being the newbie ;):P

I have a 5 MP Nikon Coolpix and a 2 MP Kodak EasyShare. I rarely take the Nikon anywhere (other than to work or anywhere else that I am specifically trying to take professional-looking pictures) - mostly because it's too bulky to comfortably carry around. The Kodak is small, easy to stuff in a pocket, and I think it takes great pics. I've printed a lot of 5x7's from it and they look great, suitable for framing. They look just as good as 5x7's that I've printed from much higher resolution pics from my Nikon. I think the Kodak pics would start losing quality if I printed them any bigger (though I haven't tried), but if that's all you're looking for then I'd say go with the $200 deal.

I'm no camera expert, but it seems to me that a lot of people spend more money than they need to and end up with a camera with half of its features that they will never use.

The one thing I do like about having a 5 MP camera is that I've been able to crop small parts out of pictures (when shot at that resolution) and still have them be at a reasonable quality for printing... And I've printed some nice 8x10's from it... But it really all depends on what you want the camera for.

I'm open for suggestions of actual cameras. I want an ultracompact camera with good shots. I'm a snap and shoot guy.

The older elph series runs $250 for the S410 (amazon). I've got two of them (underwater housing commits me to the 400/410/500 lines for now). I got a spec of dust inside somehow, so I just got the second one and will have the older one serviced. Though others here argued otherwise, I saw no reason to spend $320 for the 5mp version. The increase in resolution is rarely necessary, adds only 10% more pixels in each direction. Feature set and quality are much more important. Canon is kicking ass in the industry for a reason.

The SD elphs are about a third smaller, but are running a few bucks more. It will fit a bit better in the pocket though, so may be worth it to you. Budget $40-50 for a 512m card on either unit and 20-30 for a second battery, and you're set. I would also advise getting the soft case so it doesn't get dinged up in your backpack pocket.

The general agreement today is that to equal the quality of 100iso 35mm film, you need an 11mp camera with excellent optics.

I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I have seen pictures off of a 2.1 megapixel camera that will blow you away when it comes to image quality. I did not believe they were taken with a 2.1 camera until I saw the EXIF information of the picture.
It has everything to do with the internals of the camera and how the pictures are taken, but a 6 megapixel camera for vacation pictures that are not going to be printed ANY larger than 5x7 (maybe the occasional 8x10) is absolutely overkill.

Right now I have a backup 2.1 megapixel camera (Digital Elph) that's about 4 years old.. the quality of those pictures is significantly less, I agree. But if you buy a 3.2 or 4 megapixel camera today, you will not be disappointed.

For instance - these were all taken with a Kodak 3.1mp camera:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=mz350k5.81a5a0gp&Uy=s0s430&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1