ACMESkydiver

FUCKING E-bay I swear they are rolling up bids...

>:(>:(>:(>:(

So I watch this auction I'm bidding on a pilot's headset...a really nice one. I have the high bid at $202.50, and I keep hitting the 'refresh' button on the screen every few SECONDS (yes I was excited :P) and I lieterally hit the refresh and get '1 sec' left in the auction with my high bid of $202.50, then I refresh it and it says 'CONGTATULATIONS you won!'

Awesome! B| So I click on the 'Pay now' and it asks for MY MAX BID plus shipping!! WTF?!? >:( I literally watched the whole fucking aution through 1 second, and the 'You won' screen at my $202.50, then this bullshit asks for my max of $224.50?!? So I go back into the auction and the bid history shows some bidder that was NOT PRESENT DURING THE AUCTION bid $222 35 seconds or so prior to close. BULLSHIT I was watching the whole gawddamn thing!!! This is fucking false and I'm REALLY pissed!!! >:( There was no bidder during the auction, it mysteriously 'popped into the history' after it was CLOSED and CONVENIENTLY rolled it right up to my max bid...RIGHT UP TO THE PENNY.

Has anyone else suspected E-bay of falsely rolling up bids?? Who else would see your max bid if you're bidding by proxy? This is total bullshit and I'm writing the BBB.

The good news is I should have a reallly cool pair headset in my hot lil' hands within a few days...:S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

there are some websites out there that specialize in ebay sniping. They proxy the bids for you and literally throw them into ebay's server at the 1-2 sec mark right before the end of said auction. Example http://www.auctionsniper.com/ is one such site, so it may be that you got sniped. A little more plausible maybe than ebay trying to squeeze a couple of extra pennies out of a sale (they only get a percentage of final sale price)

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

it maybe that you were loading from your cache and not from the site and the bid at 35 seconds didn't show up.

Just a thought
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

it maybe that you were loading from your cache and not from the site and the bid at 35 seconds didn't show up.

Just a thought

Naw, bullsh*t. somebody fucking took my money. >:(

-but now then on this 'sniping'...uh, how do they know what my max bid is though?! :S I mean it was right under so my max bid to the penny cam eup, which made me suspicious. -So I guess then they'd have a deal with the seller if they accidentally over bid and win the auction? :|
~Jaye

What kinda headset??

Dave

David Clark H10-60. Less than 1 year old, used 15 hrs for student training, is what it said...[:/]

As long as the headset is in top condition, I guess I'll quit my griping and figure I would have paid up to that amount anyhow. Just fucking fries me though. >:(

I am officially done with E-bay. >:(
~Jaye

oh quit yer bitchin.......

What would it normally have cost... huh.....huh.....huh

$345 or somethin'. :$

I'm still pissed! $22!! That's...well, that's a new mic cover for it, dammit! >:(

your life must just suck, I supose your kids will have to do without tonight, due to the extra expense:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not uncommon on Ebay for a company (or individual) to put something up for auction then have an employee of the company (or a friend) bid up the price for maximum profit (or take it) to ensure a profit on a future bid if the money isn't right. It sucks, but that's the roll of the dice that's Ebay.

You're always the starter in your own life!

eBay antes up your bid in increments that depend on the amount currently bid.

So if your max bid was $243.45 and the other person bid $235, eBay would probably have increased your bid to $240. However, if the other person bid $240, eBay would increase the bidding to your maximum of $243.45.

That's not eBay's fault. It has happened to me before. But I know it's not eBay's fault.

There are last-minute bidder snipers that bid during the last 5 seconds. You have to make sure you must press REFRESH after the auction has ended.

Check the Bidder history and you'll see that there was a last-minute bidder in the final 5 seconds of the auction. Go back to the auction page and click "History: ## Bids" to see who bid, and you'll realize it was a last minute bidder sniper at the auction in the final few seconds.

That's why the final price is only correct after you see the words "Bidding has ended for this item"

If the auction was at $150 and you bid $400, and the bid increment was $10, the new auction price is $160 and you are the high bidder. You watch the auction. You press refresh. But in the last 5 seconds, somebody bids $275. eBay automatically "instantly" makes both of you outbid each other until one of your highbids is exceeded. That would be $275, and the moment eBay automatically outbids that. The new eBay auction price is now $285, and you are the high bidder.

Yes, seeing $160 jump instantaneously to $285 is really annoying. (The ebay automatic out-bidding is an instantaneous process, where two person's maximum bid price fight out each other) If I didn't want to pay $285, I wouldn't have put in a max bid of $400.

I guarantee you it is not eBay. It was a bidder sniper.

Yes, I have done "last second bidded" (bid-sniping) an auction before. (But only a few times...and the last time was about three or four months ago) That strategy has gotten me some good prices, but has probably annoyed the bidder before me.

It's legitimate pratice, you just have to carefully time the click "Submit Bid" in the final few seconds. The pratice is done because there are chances that others have put a low maximum bid. By bid-sniping, you increase your chances of exceeding other people's maximum bids, and they would have no time to increase their maximum bids.

If you want your bid to be mostly immune to bid sniping, you simply enter a fairly high maximum bid. So anybody that bid snipes at the last minute, will not go through, just simply increases the price for the previous bidder that entered a relatively high max bid....

I guarantee that eBay has nothing to do with this pratice. It's simply last-minute bidding.

That's not eBay's fault. It has happened to me before. But I know it's not eBay's fault.

There are last-minute bidder snipers that bid during the last 5 seconds. You have to make sure you must press REFRESH after the auction has ended.

Check the Bidder history and you'll see that there was a last-minute bidder in the final 5 seconds of the auction. Go back to the auction page and click "History: ## Bids" to see who bid, and you'll realize it was a last minute bidder sniper at the auction in the final few seconds.

That's why the final price is only correct after you see the words "Bidding has ended for this item"

But that's the problem...you see it wasn't in the last 5 seconds. According to the bid history, it was 35 seconds prior to close, and I was watching and refreshing the screen every few seconds down to the 1 second mark...

It is E-bay's fault. At least that is who my unearthly rage is directed towards right now. -anyone seen my 'biodots'? :|:P

What if I give the seller negative feedback? Saying the lowlife cocksucker jerked me out of $22 bucks?

Of course there is another possibility...it could have been a real bidder. NO NO NO!!! >:( How can someone's bid only show up AFTER the fucking auction is closed?! Nope, something sucks on E-bay. Quothe the raven, 'never-more'...>:(
~Jaye

The west coast regional director was a VERY early employee, if not a founder of Ebay.

West Coast regional director? Of what? E-bay scams? Skydiving? Underwater basket-weaving? What?! Fuck the corrupt system! >:( From now on, I'm paying full retail just like every other poor bastard out there...
~Jaye

I'm still pissed! $22!! That's...well, that's a new mic cover for it, dammit! >:(

your life must just suck, I supose your kids will have to do without tonight, due to the extra expense:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Absolutely! No icey-pops tonight, babies! Somebody scammed mama on the 'puter! >:(
~Jaye

>>But that's the problem...you see it wasn't in the last 5 seconds. According to the bid history, it was 35 seconds prior to close, and I was watching and refreshing the screen every few seconds down to the 1 second mark... Now that gets a bit weird...

Theories:

(1) Did the seconds counter decrement? "20 seconds left" "15 seconds left" "10 seconds left" as you kept refreshing? If not, try holding SHIFT while refreshing.

(2) Maybe it's because of multiple servers on eBay and they were lagging behind each other, i.e. the price of the auction lagged a bit behind the bidders. It has happened before, but I have never seen it lag by more than 5 seconds... I've seen one server say 25 seconds left while another server simultaneously said 20 seconds left, i.e. a time difference between servers. So when I hit refresh, sometimes it alternated between the two, saying 25...20...23...18...21...16...19...14 seconds left. Kind of weird. One server may be at 0 seconds and the other may be at 5 seconds. eBay is a massive system of many computers that sometimes slightly go out of sync by a few seconds against each other...

Leaving negative feedback is not a good idea because you will get "revenge feedback" ... Instead, just pay for it as it's within your max bid anyway.... But if you must cancel out, negotiate with the seller instead and offer to pay relisting fees if you must back out of the auction, but I wouldn't even recommend that -- they can still leave negative feedback, since they had nothing to do with the bid sniping....

Nontheless, the real price should be correctly real immediately when you see the words "Bidding has ended for this item" ... The price should never change once you see these words though. Are you sure it changed AFTER you saw the words? Not "0 seconds Left" but the actual words "Bidding Has Ended"? It would be very STRANGE if that happened.

I have seen last minute bidders bump up the bidding multiple times... But if you saw "Bidding has ended for this item" and saw the final price, then you revisited the same page and saw the price change. OUCH! (If that's true)

Wahhahhh, WWWHhhhahaaaaahhahahhahahahhhhh....

That is all I hear.. When I place a bid I expect that the top bid I made is the price I will pay... If I get it below that AWESOME but the bid I make is the top I expect to pay and am willing to pay...

Just pay the damn bill, Hate snipers like the rest of us and and keep on flying...........;)

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Yeah...well...I dunno. Maybe. It still blows, and not in a good way. >:(

Yes the seconds did count down, though.

Ah ta hell with the feedback. [:/]

I CAN YELL AT ALL YOU PEOPLE!! Yes, it was YOUR fault ultimately, I'm sure of it! fuckity-fuckers! >:(
~Jaye

Wahhahhh, WWWHhhhahaaaaahhahahhahahahhhhh....

That is all I hear.. When I place a bid I expect that the top bid I made is the price I will pay... If I get it below that AWESOME but the bid I make is the top I expect to pay and am willing to pay...

Just pay the damn bill, Hate snipers like the rest of us and and keep on flying...........;)

Scott C.

Nyah, kiss my ass, snotty-Scotty. :P I'll be in a better mood once the headset gets here. B|
~Jaye