FlyingJ

Gear insurance?

I'm just curious what type of insurance do people carry on their gear. If you have insurance, what is the coverage like? Just theft, etc., or will it get you a new canopy if yours is destroyed following a cutaway?

I can't yet relate to skydiving, but in regard to kayaking I've known a number of people that just assumed that their kayak and gear was covered under homeowners/renters policies. I checked mine, and while it is true that it is covered, the policy limited compensation to something like $500 - which would pretty much cover the cost of my paddle. In the case of my boat policy it also contains liability insurance (in case I run a ferry off the river, or someone were to be injured while I was leading a trip).

I asked this question a few years ago on my kayak forum and found that about 60% of the people had never even thought about it, and of those that had thought about it most assumed it was completely covered by homeowners. The majority of those people found out they were wrong.

So, how goes it in the world of skydiving?

Edited to add: I'm not actually looking for insurance, just curious about what others have - I don't have any gear now and won't have any for a while [:/].

jason.
Killing threads since 2004.

Ask your insurance agent about an "inland marine" policy.

I have a great boat policy, not specifically inland marine though. I have relatives that love to fish and do open ocean charters, so I made sure it would cover me taking my kayak along to paddle while they fish. (though it would still probably be considered coastal and not open water).

Ok...don't want to hijack my own thread!

Cool that it worked out for you. Knowing someone that got $600 from insurance for a $3,500 kayak and $2,000 worth of gear I'm always a little hypersensitive wondering what is really covered.

I'd have to stop harrassing him if something like that ever happened to me!

Thanks!

I've confirmed with our carrier that my contents insurance covers my rig and accessories at home and away from home as long as it is secured (must be in the trunk of a locked vehicle; a locked van/hatch back is not covered). It is not covered during use and definately not for cutaways. Limits cover the purchase price and a deductable applies.

I won't go into the details but I know a guy that cut away a canopy. He called up his insurance and it was replaced. He did have to go to the police station and make a report that the gear was stolen. The insurance company said that if he cut it away and everyone saw where it landed, it had to be stolen. They couldn't figure out why it would be so hard to find. I now have the same homeowners insurance. I have $20,000 in sporting equip. covered on my policy. State Farm by the way.

Matt Davies

I contacted my insurance company and put a small rider on my homeowner's policy. Mine covers theft, damage and loss. I was surprised at how cheap it was (even including my camera gear.) Of course, I've yet to make a claim.

No matter how good she looks, someone, somewhere is
sick of her shit!

Sadly, if it's just for fun, skydiving gear is easy to cover on a home-owners or renter's policy. It's a whole different story if you are a professional skydiver. I've tried getting a business policy, and several places turned me down. They wouldn't even insure a desktop computer that was associated with a skydiving business... I know dz's have insurance, but for me and some fellow instructors and photographers, it's cost-prohibitive.

I hope someone can tell me i'm wrong - and who they have a business policy with...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

I have a personal articles policy on both rigs, my helmets, my Protrack and camera. If anything happens to any of it they will replace it totally. Yes, they know it is skydiving gear and that I could loose a main during a cutaway. I love State Farm.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Ask your insurance agent about an "inland marine" policy.

I have a great boat policy, not specifically inland marine though. I have relatives that love to fish and do open ocean charters, so I made sure it would cover me taking my kayak along to paddle while they fish. (though it would still probably be considered coastal and not open water).

Ok...don't want to hijack my own thread!

OK, some history: The inland marine policy was originally developed to cover cargo that was being transported by means other than a ship on the high seas.

In a nutshell, a modern inland marine policy can be written to cover any transportable object that is not itself a vehicle, and is not a consumable commodity.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Your renters or home owners policy will cover your gear most likely, although you may need to add you gear as a floater to the policy. Talk to your insurance agent, he/she will be able to explain it to you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."