Plummet

Feelin' just a bit patriotic

Today I had the unique honor of flying the United States flag into a demo at the Milwaukee lakefront. The flag I jumped had been hand-carried by my son to Iraq where it flew over FOB Gabe. He brought it back with him and today it flew in front of tens of thousands of people.

Yeah, I'm feeling just a BIT patriotic and just a BIT proud.

-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

Absolutely. :)
-The kid running towards you, I'm guessing he was going to catch the flag? That's way cool. B|

Brian (indyz) did an awesome job. I was coming up a little short. I landed on one leg and he grabbed the flag.

-Jeff.
http://www.iplummet.com

Common sense and common courtesy are NOT common.

Very cool! I got a bit of a chuckle yesterday. I stopped into a regional enmbassy office here in northern Iraq. Being that it was July 4th they were out there for HOURS flying flags. People get them flown over the embassy and send them to friends and family. Pretty high demand for 4th flags I guess. :D

Good job! And thanks to your son for his service.

I did an Independence Day flag jump just for the small drop zone crowd at Skydive Houston (attached). This flag is monster-sized, borrowed from a friend, and makes me a bit nervous. It created so much drag hanging over my right side, that I had to use about one-third left brakes just to fly straight. Several people reported privately to me that they got teary-eyed watching it. Woohoo!

Good job! And thanks to your son for his service.

I did an Independence Day flag jump just for the small drop zone crowd at Skydive Houston (attached). This flag is monster-sized, borrowed from a friend, and makes me a bit nervous. It created so much drag hanging over my right side, that I had to use about one-third left brakes just to fly straight. Several people reported privately to me that they got teary-eyed watching it. Woohoo!

I did one...or two...or a few myself for the Fourth!;)

John...That is NOT a monster flag...:ph34r:
It's 200 sqft LESS that the one I jumped, and I jumped a small one yesterday...!:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I got this picture of the landing... thought it was neat.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Today I had the unique honor of flying the United States flag into a demo at the Milwaukee lakefront. The flag I jumped had been hand-carried by my son to Iraq where it flew over FOB Gabe. He brought it back with him and today it flew in front of tens of thousands of people.

Yeah, I'm feeling just a BIT patriotic and just a BIT proud.

Proud to say the least!

Gave me chills.

Our thanks to you both!

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

It's 200 sqft LESS that the one I jumped, and I jumped a small one yesterday...!:$

Well, it was a monster for me. Packed into an old belly-wart reserve container, attached to my modern rig.

How come I don't see a weight under the leading edge of your flag? Is it out of frame at the bottom of the photo?

Well, it was a monster for me. Packed into an old belly-wart reserve container, attached to my modern rig.

How come I don't see a weight under the leading edge of your flag? Is it out of frame at the bottom of the photo?

John~

Is that Al's Flag in your Pic?
It looks like his weight on the bottom...B|

...And no, we don't 'hang' weight off the bottom of any of the 60 some flags we have in current inventory. It's not only more dangerous to deploy, fly and land a flag with a swinging 'headache ball'
at the bottom...but it detracts from the 'presentation' so to speak.

The 1st pic here is truly a "Monster"...;)

The others are a 1000 sqft model, more in line with the flag in your pic, which is a 600 sqft flag if it's the one I'm thinking of.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Is that Al's Flag in your Pic?

Negative. This one was built by Bob Hunter, who was out of town for the weekend, and allowed me to use it in his absence. I think Al has borrowed this rig before to use for demos, but it's not his.
Bob sewed this monster himself, including around the edges of every single hand-cut star.

...And no, we don't 'hang' weight off the bottom of any of the 60 some flags we have in current inventory. It's not only more dangerous to deploy, fly and land a flag with a swinging 'headache ball' at the bottom...but it detracts from the 'presentation' so to speak.

That sounds nice. I worry about flag-catchers getting boinked with that huge chunk of lead. It could do some serious damage. So how do you hold the leading edge into the wind? Do you have the leading edge reinforcement tape filled with lead shot?

I've got a dinky little USMC flag I fly on Veterans Day and Memorial Day, to which I have attached a length of chain on the leading edge. That works well too.