JonDerungs

Javelin packing

I got a question regarding the packing of the javelin.

on the owners manual on site 18 point 5 they state that you should close first the left and then the right flap but on the picture they do it on the other side.

can anybody tell me wich ways the correct order?

here the link:
manual

(sry for the bad grammar)

blue skies
Never regret anything you've done!

If its a sport Javelin, it does not really matter.

...unless of course you're trying to avoid a malfunction.

OP refers to page 18, paragraph 5, for packing a pull-out deployment system. In this case, closing left before right is begging for a hard-pull malfunction.

Sun-path has flip-flopped on this during different manual printings, adding to the confusion. In the OP link, text is incorrect and picture is correct.

edited to add: the OP links to manual revision 01, issue 01. I have a hard copy of issue 02, revision 01 in which this misprint has been corrected. It appears that the linked manual is not the most current.

I think it is more of a bridle issue than flap issue.

Interesting arguement, but I don't care if it's a bridle or a flap issue. I see an opportunity to eliminate a possible snag point. When I think of all the times that misused gear has caused a malfunction, eliminating one more chance for something to go wrong is a no-brainer for me. I'm not gonna flaunt my bridle-routing skills by deliberately adding an extra snag point. I'll stick with the concept of multiple safeguards.

Not terribly relevant to this thread, but I have a Jav with a throw-out and I pack bottom-top-right-left and put the pin in from the left so that there's no flap to get hung up on at the bridle attachment point. The reason is that this way, at least if I'm not wearing gloves, in the plane I can reach over and feel my pin and location of the closing loop with my right hand without disturbing the bridle. I feel that this is safer than someone checking the pin and then banging on the flap. Sitting in the plane I try to avoid bumping the pin, someone banging on my flap is the one time I know for sure the pin has been bumped.:S This is probably unnecessary paranoia but it's easy so why not.

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

I was taught on my Javelin:

Big Titted Ladies Rock
(Bottom Top Left Right)

I can't get that out of my head, and can't bear to pack any other way;)

"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

please explain

See attachment. This has happened, but not to me. I close my flaps in the correct order.

BTW, Somebody please remind me to re-close these flaps before my next jump!

Tomayto, tomahto.

Mark

Photo makes a good point--almost anything can be done improperly. But your photo doesn't show the handle. Is the lanyard long enough to permit the handle to reach its attachment point? Is this photo even a Javelin container?

You're not going to be able to pack my Javelins as per your photo because the lanyard (pin-to-handle cord) is short enough that it won't allow the handle to reach it's attachment point. That big S-fold you put in the lanyard takes up so much length that the handle can't be seated; it will just hang out loose below the R flap. Since seating the handle is part of a pack-job, my Javelins can't be packed in this manner. OK, I guess eventually there's gonna be someone who would try to jump with a floating handle, but it's a far strech of the imagination to think this will go unnoticed.

I feel that this is safer than someone checking the pin and then banging on the flap. Sitting in the plane I try to avoid bumping the pin, someone banging on my flap is the one time I know for sure the pin has been bumped.:S This is probably unnecessary paranoia but it's easy so why not.

Good point. I don't trust myself that much! I just ask whoever gives me a pin check to tap my shoulder or the side of my container. It's also easier to have someone else tuck in your flap than shoving it back in yourself.

IMO
She did not know that she could not fly so she did.

Spread your arms and hold your breath and always trust your cape

It's also easier to have someone else tuck in your flap than shoving it back in yourself.

If I understand you correctly you are concerned that if you check your pin yourself then you will need to open the flap. On my Jav, and all the rigs I've seen that I remember, if you're careful you can reach under the flap with your fingers without opening it. I'd practice it on the ground first, it would be really embarrassing to push the pin out of the loop at 10k.

Keep in mind that strictly speaking it is better to have someone else look at the pin anyway, as long as they don't then go banging around your rig. They can spot things like the pilot chute window being the wrong color. I trust myself to have cocked the pilot chute when packing and I do a gear check at the beginning of each day but different strokes for different folks. I may be wrong too, I am far from an expert.
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/02/28/funny-pictures-i-come-with-sarcasm/
Proudly uncool since 1982.

If you can push out your pin by checking it with your fingers alone, you need to shorten your closing loop badly.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm with captain. Anything can be done improperly so use some common sense.

It's very simple. Leave a clear path for the lanyard between the pin and the handle.

Put the pin in, and tuck in the lanyard. Be sure the grommet the lanyard passes through is not tucked completely out of the way either.

Test it on the ground if you've any doubt.

PS. I've always packed Bottom Top Right Left.

Apparently that's Big titty rich lady? Something like that, I've never used that but I heard it from brianfry713
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Anyone that is jumping a pull-out system should know the you don't wrap the bridle around the flaps like that so if a packer packs it like that you would know as soon as you do your gear check before you put your rig on. The pin should be straight up and down and the bridle should go stright down to the bottom and then up and under the side flaps.

A very reliable source from sunpath has told me that when you are jumping a throw out p/c, it doesn't matter which side goes first. If you are jumping a throw out p/c, then you should close right, left to prevent a total.

If people are packing their pull out p/c's with the bridle wrapped around the flaps they are asking for trouble. It shoudl look the same as a throw out p/c.

Apparently that's Big titty rich lady? Something like that, I've never used that but I heard it from brianfry713

That may be the correct closing sequence for Javelin and Sidewinder, but Vector and Talon are different.

... good excuse to read your manual.

If you are jumping a throw out p/c, then you should close right, left to prevent a total.

I don't understand that. How does a total happen if you close left, right?

I was taught as a youngster to close my Javelin right, left on my right-hand throw-out.

The logic is that then the right flap will be a bit tighter and flatter to keep the bridal tucked in better and reduce the odds of a premature deployment. I an see the logic of that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

That may be the correct closing sequence for Javelin and Sidewinder, but Vector and Talon are different.

... good excuse to read your manual.

I've read a few manuals. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you misread my post. Otherwise go read the manual ;)

The Javelin Manual actually says that with a throw out to pack left right... not right left. See attached. So technically, right left is incorrect when packing a throw-out into a Javelin. I'll continue to pack them right left like I stated above even though it says otherwise... You and I both know it doesn't matter.

Javelin with Pull-out, Depending on the revision, the Pullout says left right or right left . Attached is a picture of the closing sequence from the manual. It shows right left, but the print wasn't corrected and states left right.

Vector II Says Right Left. See attached

Vector III Also says Right Left. See attached.

Vector III With a Pull-out. Right Left. See attached

Talon2 with throw out or pull-out: Right Left: See attachments

Edit: To add Talon2
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Sorry dude, It should have been Pull-out p/c, not throw out. If you close left right, The pin bridle has been known to creep around the corner of the right side flap (like in the pictures earlier in the post) and sometimes create a hard pull/total on PULL-OUT system. If you close L,R, and route the bridle straight down and then up and in and over it's a lot cleaner and reduces your chances of having a total/hard pull.

On THROW OUT systems it doesn't matter on javelins. Other rigs are different stories.