diverdriver

Drowning in the pond at SDC?

I found this news article. Anyone have any info or has this already been posted?

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/071105/POL_B6USQ9R7.045.shtml

Monday, July 11, 2005

Joliet man drowns in Ottawa pond
OTTAWA - A Joliet man was pronounced dead at Ottawa Community Hospital after being pulled from a pond near Skydive Chicago on Saturday night.

William A. Martin, 20, was playing volleyball with friends when he decided to go for a swim in the nearby pond, according to the LaSalle County Sheriff's Department.

The Sheriff's Department, Ottawa EMS and River Rescue responded to the scene.

The death remains under investigation by the LaSalle County Coroner's Office and the Sheriff's Department.

This is the second drowning in two weeks in Ottawa. Last week a Chicago man drowned in the Illinois River near Starved Rock State Park.

Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I wasn't out there this past weekend, but I made some calls after I saw your post. Its true. The following is what I was told:

The young man apparently made a tandem out at SDC a couple of weeks ago and was back on Saturday for a canoe trip on the river. Afterwards, he must have gone swimming on his own and when his friends realized he hadn't come back, there was a brief search. A staff member found him, pulled him from the water and began CPR. He had a pulse when the ambulance took him away, but was pronounced dead at the hospital.[:/]

It was a tragic accident. There are signs posted at the pond reminding people to swim at their own risk as there is never a life guard on duty. [:/]

I was there at SDC, but not by the pond when it happened. But according to someone who was --

The guy was there to canoe. But I was told he was swimming with friends when he suddenly went under. His friends called manifest and Donovan and others came out. They resuscitated him and he was alive when the ambulance left. (But people were worried about his condition because he'd been down for awhile.)

Just tragic. Such a young person. [:/]
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Does anyone know why he "went under" & drowned?:S

That will have to wait for the autopsy, but the speculation I heard was that he had over-exerted after canoeing, playing volleyball, and then swimming on a pretty hot day.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Its one thing to say that about a skydiver who goes in. This guy hopped in the pond to cool off on a hot day and he drowned. To me that's senseless and tragic. No one's fault, but tragic just the same.

People say dying while skydiving is sensless and tragic.

They are also correct.

Anyone that dies is tragic, at least he died while having fun, not in a car bomb, accident ect.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I found this news article. Anyone have any info or has this already been posted?

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/071105/POL_B6USQ9R7.045.shtml

Monday, July 11, 2005

Joliet man drowns in Ottawa pond
OTTAWA - A Joliet man was pronounced dead at Ottawa Community Hospital after being pulled from a pond near Skydive Chicago on Saturday night.

William A. Martin, 20, was playing volleyball with friends when he decided to go for a swim in the nearby pond, according to the LaSalle County Sheriff's Department.

The Sheriff's Department, Ottawa EMS and River Rescue responded to the scene.

The death remains under investigation by the LaSalle County Coroner's Office and the Sheriff's Department.

This is the second drowning in two weeks in Ottawa. Last week a Chicago man drowned in the Illinois River near Starved Rock State Park.

I was at the dropzone near the tail end of this. I kept my distance from the pond but everything that I've read here is consistant with what I heard except that he did not go swimming alone. There were a few of them swimming and messing around in the pond - a girl in the group called others (who were sitting on the deck, 10s of feet away) to her help when he "slid down her leg" and hadn't came up after 30-40 seconds. She felt he was playing a joke.

Everyone in the surrounding area dove in and started searching the mucky - weedy bottom of the pond for his body. I was told there were about 10 people in the pond looking for him.

When I showed up they were just taking him away, He was under for about 10 minutes but they did recussitate him, and he was talking when they took him away.

It wasn't until the next week that I found out he had died in the ambulance.

The pond was about 24 feet deep where he was found.

This is all second hand information that I got from talking directly to people who were whitness to the event moments after the event took place. I was coming home to my weekend trailer which is about 100 feet away and has a clear view of the pond.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.