aresye

Excess Steering Line in Braid

Okay, so I did another dumb thing...

Trying to remove my slider, which I posted in another topic. Can't do it because:

A. I have large 3-rings and riders.
B. The steering line passes through the slider's grommets.

I know the finger trapped knot in the steering line, and can redo it. The problem I got was when unknotting it. There's excess steering line that's been threaded through the braided spectra material. I noticed a little of it has been coming out, and stupidly I pulled the rest of it out, and now I don't know what to do with this excess line. I can't find the tunnel that it was originally threaded through, and even if I could, I doubt I can thread it back in.

Is this excess material mandatory for the line's durability and strength?

If I jump my rig without rethreading the excess line back through the spectra, will I risk a broken steering line?

Is my rig still jumpable, or am I doomed to replace the line?

If I do have to replace the line, do I have to replace both steering lines?
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

Hi, your lines will be fine as far as I can tell from the description. You do not want to be cutting any part of the line. Ask a rigger to fingertrap the excess line and check everything before you jump it if you are not sure.

Please. Go to a rigger and have them show you basic gear maintenance before you try to put the mess you created back together and jump it.

There is no need to involve 3-rings in slider removal. There is no need to undo finger traps of any sort.

You obviously have little knowledge of how your gear is put together and how it works. Your post scares me.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

NOT A RIGGER! (yet)

you should be able to remove the steering line from the toggle without undoing any knots or finger traps, providing it was done correctly in the first place. once you have removed the toggle from
the steering line, all you'll have to do is undo the rapide links or slinks from the suspension lines and you can then remove the slider. i would remove one set of lines at a time, and after taking them out of the slider grommet, reattach everything the way it was. when you want to reinstall it, simply reverse everything you just did, then do a continuity check on your lines. then check them again. then get your rigger to check them.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

then do a continuity check on your lines.

Let's expand on this... a continuity check is more than just making sure the lines are in the correct sequence from the links to the canopy... it's also about ensuring the lines on the slinks or connectors are in the right sequence also. If they are crossed over, there is a scissoring effect of line against line at the attachment point.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Here's two pictures I've taken. First one shows the excess line that I pulled out from the braid. The second picture is of the same toggle, after I removed the loop from the toggle. Note loop, not fingertrap. Seeing how it is arranged. I cannot see how I can remove the toggle without undoing the fingertrap. Pops, do you have a link to an article about how to remove a toggle from the line?

IMHO, I don't think the excess line out of the braid is a danger to the durability. Spectra is rated at approx. 700lbs, if I recall correctly. The extra is simply tucked into a secure space. I will consult a rigger this Friday, but any information now would be greatly appreciated.

take the line that leads to the canopy and push it (and the knot) through the grommet. this should make enough slack to slide the loop down over the base of the toggle.

the excess is fingertrapped into the line. this is partly asthetic but it also provides some security: when there is tension on the steering line, the outer line squeezes the inner line and holds it securely. it also stores the excess line and keeps things a little neater.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

If you look in my second picture, I did slide the loop off the toggle. Now, the line is still routed through the toggle grommet, and I can't see how the toggle can be removed.

You should also witness at least one time your rigger when he/she is packing your reserve. Ask him then to show you how to remove a toggle. The toggle is linked to the steering line with a lark head knot.
Sequence;
1) there is a loop made a the end of the steering line, thread that loop thru the toggle grommet
2) put the bottom of the toggle thru the loop already passed thru the grommet
3) pull down the bottom of the toggle and apply tension to set up the toggle on the steering line
Ask him too to show you how he is doing a finger trap
PS. To secure the finger trapped steering line excess, I used a couple of stitches with red safety tie.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I like the red thread idea. The first time I did my steering lines I had a very hard time telling my new white E-thread from the new spectra when I needed to re-adjust the length. The next time I discolored the thread with a sharpie before putting the safety stitches in the finger trap.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.