DaGimp

Convention a bust??

That's some scary stuff! I want to go to a convention someday in a few years... With the omfp about WFFC being dissappointing this year, I guess another place would be much better, such as Dublin!

I had lower accuracy this weekend (But all my landings were all in the normal area, just not in the peas as often as I would like), mainly because I have been mindful of the changing wind conditions and at another time, a student in the air (you know how unpredictable they can be), so I landed pretty far away. Ruined some time for a few spirals I was hoping to do at 2500 feet, but I had other jumps where I was the only one still in the air after a 5K pull and went "YAAAHHHOOO" ;)

ACMEskydiver - its okay that you don't want to jump at the WFFC but be advised they have a bigger landing area than most other boogies.

I've been to Quincy twice and this will be my second Rantoul and granted I'm not there for the whole time, but I have never encountered a problem with traffic under canopy. I guess because I choose a spot away from everyone and I'm not so lazy I can't walk. :S I'm not saying there isn't traffic issues, I've just never encountered them.

Judy

I choose to land wayyyy out there on new DZ's (usually do NOT ask Turtlespeed or AggieDave about my landing @ Aggieland...B|) -I even got made fun of at Lodi for landing way the hell out and hiking back:

:| "Nice hike! S'matter? What'd ya land way out there for? Didn't you see where we were all landing?"
:)
:S "Well ok. That was a lot of walking."

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I choose to land wayyyy out there on new DZ's (usually do NOT ask Turtlespeed or AggieDave about my landing @ Aggieland...) -I even got made fun

that's funny because I used to get made fun of for the same thing. They really made fun of me when I would set up on final 1/2 mile out at 1000 ft but I've ALWAYS been able to walk back when some have needed assitance, plus this was back when alot of trial and error was happening with the HP canopies, so I could avoid them when they would hook it in front of me. Always have an out.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I just got back from WFFC. The landing area was about as busy and chaotic as a busy day at Perris. Not bad at all. I went thinking I wasn't going to jump because I'd heard all these stories about how insane it was, but after evaluating the landing area and traffic, I ended up doing 15 jumps.

I just got back from WFFC. The landing area was about as busy and chaotic as a busy day at Perris. Not bad at all. I went thinking I wasn't going to jump because I'd heard all these stories about how insane it was, but after evaluating the landing area and traffic, I ended up doing 15 jumps.

I would think that's about what to expect this year with the numbers being way down. Have you been to a Convention where there are 3k to 5k people? How many would you guesstimate are there this year?

Okay - here is my take on the WFFC...

First - it was my :D WFFC...so for that - it was a blast - and I loved it...BUT:

$70 is WAY TOO MUCH for ANY BOOGIE!!! I simply don't care how big your event is....when you pay anywhere from $15-30 for some of the 'bigger' boogies through-out the year - and those have nearly 70-80% of the aircraft and attendance of the WFFC....to pay nearly triple that amount because this one is the "WORLD" convention is rediculous!! Fact of the matter is I paid the fee, but it hurt, and it will be a serious factor in my decision to EVER return.

If you're going to advertise the aircraft - HAVE THEM. No helicopters at all. No DC-3. Sure - they had 3 CASA's, a Skyvan, an Otter and Mullins' K.A., but I can get tailgates and other side-door, large load aircraft elsewhere for cheaper. I understand you can go to the moon and back to TRY to make it happen and if they don't show up it's not your fault, but how about reducing registration when you manifest...that would at least make some of the disappointment a bit easier to swallow. If they're meant to show up later in the week...then don't advertise them for "the boogie"....'cause they weren't there when I WAS THERE. I was only there for 4 days...and I didn't see any of what I mentioned...and if I find out that I helped for them to show up later, but didn't get to jump them.....F THAT!!![:/]

Safety. I was truly concerned for my own safety, as well as those with me with all the traffic in the air. I saw some really stupid shit out there this weekend....on nearly every load....as well as nearly 3 fatalities (at least 2 confirmed)....and one was directly related to a canopy collision. With that many people you're going to run into problems - I get that, but I didn't see many efforts taking place to correct the problems that were going on.

Party Hardy. Yup - I made sure I did my fair share of partying while I was there. I had a blast. A real "Rantoul Experience", but hey - I can party hard and do stupid shite at other boogies....and it still provides me with enough memories to last a life time. I enjoyed the free beer...so thanks Don for supplying it (or rather, you're welcome for my contribution), but I'd be willing to have a cash bar if it meant my registration fees were cheaper. Honestly - it's just TOO HIGH!!

And lastly....boogie packs. WTF (!!) was up with those pathetic things. I paid $70 for a sticker, a plastic cup, and couple bits of paper on the food available in the main tent???[:/]>:(. I paid approx $20 at the Cinco de Mayo Boogie in Chester, SC and my boogie pack included Dive Balm, stickers, a blown glass shot glass, a "trinket" morocca and a bunch of local coupons. That boogie included free beer too...and free margaritas, and CHEAP(ER...much CHEAPER) food. How about some pins, or small stickers for my helmet, or a patch, or something?? Truly lame, they were.
If WFFC is truly trying to be a money making operation...how about studying up on some business models and doing what it takes to bring in crowds to make money...rather than limit and segregate your clientele to the financially fortunate and frivolous. There are many business models that prove volume equals profit....much more than price. ohhh...Wal-mart comes to mind!!! I know that this is perhaps the last thing you could find to criticize a boogie for, but please...if something as small as Chester can do it up nice.....surely you'd have to "expect" THE WFFC to out-do it. n'est pas?

Well - that's my take on the WFFC. I thought Rantoul Rocked....been there, done that....bought a hat. If I go again, it would have to be after I make a lot more $$...and have much more disposable resources. Otherwise....hey - I'll save my $$ for Dublin and jump and party twice as hard.

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Until something formal comes out - will only say canopy collision over swoop pond...one walked away, one did not.
I won't comment further.

Apparently I was in the area just moments before it happened. Was told later that "something" did happen.

apparently something else happened on Saturday morning out of one of the balloons...but that is purely speculation....just what was going around the dz all day. I would like further details on that one myself.

I guess I'll keep my eyes open on the Incidents forum until confirmation is made.

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,

You know, I've been at conventions before where everyone swore there were 3 fatalities. Guess what. There wasn't a single one. There were serious injuries but no one died. I know we've already had one at WFFC. Hope the others are just rumored like usual.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

If you're going to advertise the aircraft - HAVE THEM.

Yeah, that's my biggest gripe... I was really looking forward to the DC-3. I was pretty disappointed in the (lack of) advertised exotic aircraft as well. Don't get me wrong, it was great getting to jump tailgate's all day with almost no waiting. The King Air, Casas, Skyvans, and Otters were all great aircraft.

And lastly....boogie packs.

Small DZ's give out more than a plastic cup and sticker for their boogies. How about at least a glass mug, or something memorable???

Enough of my bitching though, overall, it was a TON of fun! Some of the memories I'm reflecting on, that make me smile as I sit in my office at work:

My Rodriguez Brother Initiation... all I can say is wow... not only will I never forget my fathers' names, I'll never forget Karee as well! Thanks Bolas and Pyke, you guys rock!

The golf carts. I'm amazed at the abuse those things can take. For some reason I don't think they were designed to hold 11 people, but they were up to task! 4am, racing around, 'docking' and 'turning points' under the heavy influence of alcohol.

How about the guy who drove his brand new car (still had the sticker in the window) into the swoop pond? I think it was his car... who knows. After all, someone stole one of the security golf carts and wrecked it! :D

The nakedness! Skinny dipping in the swoop pond, chicks with latex paint tops, Fast Eddie's t-shirt give away and motorcycle ride through the party tent (his passenger was naked). That tan girl with dark hair - wow! Don't know who she was, but wow! Kelly wasn't too shabby either! ;)

As I said, I don't have previous conventions to compare it to, but I had a great time. It was great meeting all the .com'ers there as well! I can't even begin to mention everyone, but you guys were all great folks to party with and a ton of fun! Looking forward to it next year!

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Someone has a wild imagination. No fatalities at the swoop pond. A guy, who had not looked over the swoop pond landing area prior to swooping, faltered on his flare. His left foot took most of the landing impact, and it popped out of socket. He's on his way home and planning his recovery.

So far more people are swooping the pond than ever. This is my favorite year in WFFC's new location of Rantoul. The crowd is small, but it really seems like a return to the good old days.

Peace, Olivia

No wild imagination...just what was going around while I was there. I admitted I didn't have details...and I'm waiting to see if anything gets released.

Obviously if nothing happened...it will become clear. And I'll be much more thankful for all who may/may not have been involved.

Wasn't trying to spread lies....just what I heard while I was in attendance.

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,

Ahhhh Miss Olivia....good to see the pond is in order.....sorry im not there this year to share the helecopter with you, chat at the outragously large bonfire, and swwop the pond.......but i guess theres next year....

and any injuries are alwasy reported in the main entertainment tent every night.....best sourse of info right there.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

Ahhhh Miss Olivia....good to see the pond is in order.....sorry im not there this year to share the helecopter with you, chat at the outragously large bonfire, and swwop the pond.......but i guess theres next year....

and any injuries are alwasy reported in the main entertainment tent every night.....best sourse of info right there.

What helicopter,what bonfire.Damn I missed alot while I was there.

Of Course!!!!!

Lingerie????
I thought you knew me better than that to even ask!?!?!?!?!?

Careful though, I just may bring my own red teddy.

:o
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Please do you know i will be on hand with video...lol Hey need to get some pics of ya for my wall...So lets plan on doing a jump preferably with brandy
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?