Evelyn

Church vs. Skydiving

I think that it somewhat depends on if this is an every week thing or if this is a special occasion. It sounds like you will just be visiting them over the weekend and in that case if it were me I would opt for going to church with my parents. Relationships are important, skydiving will always be there.

Either way, have a great weekend!
Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I generally only go jumping on one day any given weekend. If it's Sunday, and I've already planned church to go with my dad, or because my rarely-meeting church is actually having a service, then I go to church. It's as much about the fellowship, and being in a position where you think about what it means to be a good person for awhile.

If I miss a load or two, well, I'll make it up by staying late, or going next week.

My advice would be similar to skygirlpc's. I've ditched my parents plenty of times to go skydiving. I regret the ditching far more than the skydiving the times I missed that. But that's because they didn't pull me all the time -- only on important occasions.

Most Sundays I read the paper...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I used to think the same way till recently. However, I make myself flexible for church. If I go to church sunday, I make an all day skydiving event on saturday. I can also go to church on saturday and make an all day skydiving event sunday. If I only have one weekend day free and I have to choose either skydiving or church. I do both. Church service can start as early as 9am. I usually go to the 11am service and I'm out of there by 12pm and I have 7 1/2 hours of skydiving for the rest of the day. That's not a bad deal. You can do both if you put yourself up to it. Blue Skies.

P.S. If you really feel closer to God when you skydive and you'd rather skydive than be at church. Then, I'll put my 2 cents in and say that you at least pray before and after a jump and give thanks.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

..It's as much about the fellowship, and being in a position where you think about what it means to be a good person for awhile.

If I miss a load or two, well, I'll make it up by staying late, or going next week.

Good stuff, Wendy

...I've ditched my parents plenty of times to go skydiving. I regret the ditching far more than the skydiving the times I missed that.

When they are gone, it's going to be tough thinking about things like that...well, for me it was anyway.

Wouldn't it be ideal to go to church with them and then they come out to support you skydiving? Well, maybe not a daily basis but you know what I mean, eh?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Wouldn't it be ideal to go to church with them and then they come out to support you skydiving?

Yeah, but parents aren't always like that. I was lucky.

Feelings are different when you're young than when you're older. Doing something now, or the right time, was so much more important then than it is now.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ok, I have to call BS on a bunch of you mofo's in here. I think maybe 1/10th of you who said you see skydiving as your church actually mean it. I skydive on Sundays because it's skydiving and it's what I want to do, and there's no shame in that. This "it's my church" stuff is mostly crap.

If you feel so ashamed of not going to church that you have to make an excuse like that, then you'd better get your hell-bound ass to church . . . 'cause God ain't buyin' it. ;)

Posting this just to get peoples opinions about attending church on Sundays vs. skydiving on Sundays. I will be spending the weekend with my parents, but will tell them that I feel much closer to God skydiving than attending church with them. I think they will understand. And that is how I really feel. I could sit in church with my parents and listen to the pastor preach, or I can go out and experience my kind of religion, I feel so close to God when skydiving, much more than could be expressed in a church. Anyone else feel the same way?

I'm not a spiritual kind of guy, but I'm thinking that you could point out to your parents that there is no downside to skydiving instead of going to church.

Skydiving makes you feel closer to God. If you screw up, you get to meet him in person.

edited to add:
I just re-read that. It was supposed to be funny, but it just seems morbid. Ok, morbidly funny, which is find of funny in a way. Well.... Never mind!

Walt

Ok, I have to call BS on a bunch of you mofo's in here. I think maybe 1/10th of you who said you see skydiving as your church actually mean it. I skydive on Sundays because it's skydiving and it's what I want to do, and there's no shame in that. This "it's my church" stuff is mostly crap.

If you feel so ashamed of not going to church that you have to make an excuse like that, then you'd better get your hell-bound ass to church . . . 'cause God ain't buyin' it. ;)

psssst Kelly. this is not speakers Corner! :o:P

I figure if there is a hell, and Im goin JUST b/c I dont go to church. Give me my rig cuz Im gonna jump in and swoop the lakes of fire baby! B|B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

That wasn't even close to a SC post. Don't go in there much, do ya? :D

And you're not going to Hell for not going to church . . . it'd be for lying. :D

no I avoid SC like the plague. Its an online hell! :D

what about coveting thy neighbors gear? its that so bad?

[end hijack]

If one of my parents wanted me to go to church with them, and if it was important to them. I would go. As long as we didnt make a habit out of it. :)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Gee, that almost sounds (dare I say it?) Speakers Corner-ish.

I'm proud of you!!!

edited to add:
I like Speakers Corner, but they seem to think I'm too opinionated there.

Walt

lol...I agree. If you're already feeling convicted about it, just go to church and spend time with your parents. Can you just go skydiving another day or after church? I reserve Saturdays or Sunday late afternoons to do what I want. Sundays mornings I go to church. Sometimes if I don't go on Sundays, I go Saturday nights or Wednesday evenings.

I used to get pissed at my parents because they wanted me home more often but then I realized if I tried to imagine
Myself in their shoes, it’s because they miss me and want to see me more because they love me. You don’t ever know when your last days are and you have to take advantage of all the time you can to spend with those who loves you. Just imagine if you have your own kids, how would you feel. If spending some time with your parents on Sundays at church makes them happy, try to make them happy…they probably also want to make sure you go to Heaven too. ;)
----------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------
If you want to see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the storm. God bless! :)

I know that when I'm home with my parents, I go to church with them, cause that's what they do, that's how I've been raised, and I know they really appreciate it if I do make the effort to go..

But.. if I'm not at my parent's house on Sunday.. then I'm at the dz, and I don't go to church...

It's that easy for me, I know it takes away from skydiving to go to church, but I also know how happy it makes them if I decide not to go skydiving, but go to church with them.. Its a small thing that makes them happy.. why not..

Posting this just to get peoples opinions about attending church on Sundays vs. skydiving on Sundays. I will be spending the weekend with my parents, but will tell them that I feel much closer to God skydiving than attending church with them. I think they will understand. And that is how I really feel. I could sit in church with my parents and listen to the pastor preach, or I can go out and experience my kind of religion, I feel so close to God when skydiving, much more than could be expressed in a church. Anyone else feel the same way?

Here you go.

1. Skydiving is real.

2. Church is bollocks.

No reason to let organized superstition bugger up your weekends is there ?

You can skydive anytime... if you're deliberately hanging with your parents, then there's value to be had in going to church with them too if'n you're religiously tended yourself.

But as skybytch and others have pointed out, for those of us not inclined towards organised religion, and in the words of the immortal Rollo:

"This is my church.
This is where I heal my hurts..."

:)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

LOL. Think a little more explanation is needed. My parents just recently started going to church with my sister and now they are born again Christians and very into church, bible study, prayer groups, etc. Last time I visited my parents I went to church with them (then a church picnic, then a church concert - the whole day was spent with church stuff). I think it's great for them but it just wasn't my thing (I'm Catholic and attend mass on special occasions). I will be visiting my parents and spending time outside of church with them. But now my mom expects me to attend church with them and while I enjoy being with my parents, I'd like to skip the church part (the service is like 2 hrs.) and head to the DZ without feeling guilty about it.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller