kansasskydiver

What's your experience with Absinthe?

i had my 1st experience with it at the BPA AGM 2004. i thought i was taking a shot of vodka or something.... boy was i wrong.
10 minutes later i was on my ass wasted. i didnt know what happened to me. we were all drinking and having a good time and then suddenly i was out of it!
i thought i was roofied (sp?) but i found out the next day that someone was giving out shots of absintheB|

would i drink it again? absolutely!B|

I have a bottle sitting on my dresser. I'm interested to hear the responses as well.

ooh thats right!
note to self:
go visit Kelly :D
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Don't drink more than 2 or 3 shots at one sitting. Otherwise you will have a whoopin' hangover the day after

(Mabe all the beer chasers is what caused my hangover?)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Hmmm absinthe??? Don't remember much, kinda like a mix between Jaegermeister and LSD.
Real Absinthe has wormwood in it which can produce interesting ummm.....let's say........ experiences.:S
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Oh, but you can't get the real stuff here. You can get it in the Czech Republic, though, from what I understand. ;)

You are correct. it has to come from Europe. I here it's popular in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Absinth was prohibited in Switzerland by our constitution!
But I think since last year or so it's allowed again.
My grandparents come from a part of Switzerland where Absinth was very popular and always brewed Absinth during the years of probation for there own use.
I would not drink shots of Absinth, I prefer to enjoy it. When drinking it fast, you can observe yourself getting drunk in very little time. I had to hurry up drinking Absinth once because everybody else wanted to go and 5 minutes later I felt getting drunk...
If you want to drink it the XXX way, you put a sugar cube on a spoon, put some Absinth over it, light it, let it burn a few seconds, then mix it with the Absinth already in the glass, let it burn 30 seconds always steering it, and then drink it.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I have a few bottles sitting around... :)

This site is to absinthe what dropzone.com is to skydiving:
http://www.feeverte.net/

Do not buy Czech abisinth, it's not even real absinthe.
Do not buy kits, that's like adding peat to grain alcohol and calling it scotch. Wormword oil is also toxic, another reason why the mixture must be distilled.

Jade absinthes are considered the best mass produced absinthes in the world.
http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

This is a great place to pick up spanish absinthes and most other alcoholic drinks. Shipping is a little slow.
http://www.spiritscorner.com/ing/index.html

I've done some research on this so let me know if you have any questions.

I got into a bunch in the Czech. look for a high concentration of thujon. It's the psychoactive ingredient. It's considered a convulsant but is structually similar to THC (no proven link to site of action tho).

Some bottles have none (but is the green brewed drink). Most have 10mg/kg. Most I ever found was in Prague, and was 35mg/kg.

It's a wild drunk. Hyper, giddy, full of energy. I last remember was getting everyone dancing on the picnic tables, buying everyone one drink after another (beer is cheaper then water there :P ) to chase the shots down with, and just feeling like i downed 10 red bull.

Oh ya, and it's 70% :D

Edited "Do not buy Czech abisinth, it's not even real absinthe."

--> cause most that is sold there has no thujon.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

I have a few bottles sitting around... :)

This site is to absinthe what dropzone.com is to skydiving:
http://www.feeverte.net/

Do not buy Czech abisinth, it's not even real absinthe.
Do not buy kits, that's like adding peat to grain alcohol and calling it scotch. Wormword oil is also toxic, another reason why the mixture must be distilled.

Jade absinthes are considered the best mass produced absinthes in the world.
http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Jade.html

This is a great place to pick up spanish absinthes and most other alcoholic drinks. Shipping is a little slow.
http://www.spiritscorner.com/ing/index.html

I've done some research on this so let me know if you have any questions.

I'm impressed!!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Are the effects real though is my biggest question?

Like every liquor, moderation is the key. Dilute 1/5 of Absinthe into 4/5 water. You can pour the water over a sugar cube if need be (some absinthe are quite bitter, but some can be had without sugar). A couple of glasses is usually OK. Beyond that, depending on the type of absinthe, you're on your own. DO NOT OPERATE A VEHICLE OR MACHINERY after consuming absinthe.
It is not a drug (although many people focus on the thujon content), but the alcohol content can be potent, and the different herbs and essences present in the drink do have interesting side effects.
Don't drink it to get fucked up.
feeverte.net is my favourite site to purchase. Swiss and French absinthes tend indeed to be the best. Few Czech ones can be OK, but usually tend to focus more on the alcohol content (180 proof!!!) than on the actual drink itself.
Once again, it is a drink that needs to be enjoyed in moderation. Not a good idea to pass it around art a frat party. And I would definitely stay away from doing "shots"...
Just my thoughts.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I hope you like the taste of licorice. Blech! taste like shit to me and burned like hell going down.But I had some rather vivid dreams afterwards...:S

My husband keeps a stock of it in the liquor cabinet.Its his drink of choice even though he doesn't drink often. I'm sure he can give you information if you'd like to PM me but it looks like you already have alot of info from others here.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Dilute 1/5 of Absinthe into 4/5 water. You can pour the water over a sugar cube if need be (some absinthe are quite bitter, but some can be had without sugar).

That's the way it was served to us when we went to Reims last month. I made my friends try it with me because Frenchy had talked about it so much and I wanted to see what the big deal was. I liked it, but I also like black licorice.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I got into this stuff for the first time twice at WFFC and it was two different brands. Mr. Frizzle was kind enough to bring a bottle over and I had a sip of that and it wasn't so bad. Tasted alot like mouthwash. Now the big bottle someone set up on the table for KAP3, I intentionally threw down so that I could try it and it was much much stronger. However in neither of those instances did I get any hallucinatory effects, although I'm led to believe it could take as much as an entire bottle for that to occur. All in all, mouthwash.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I'm led to believe it could take as much as an entire bottle for that to occur

More likely, a trip to either the hospital or the morgue.
Absinthe is not and SHOULD NOT be considered as a frat party/boogie party drink. Don't do shots. Don't do it to get fucked up, because you will be fucked up beyond what you can imagine. Don't do it as a substitute to acid or LSD.
Have a couple of drinks, diluted in water, and enjoy the way you feel.
Just my thoughts...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."