jumpnrandy

How Do You Know When to Say When

My elderly Samoyed (Silver Sammie) is getting close to having to be put down. GOD, I hate this. My loving friend for 15 years. Longer than I've been skydiving. Longer than any one Woman in my Life!

His hips are failing. He can't get up on his own anymore. Sometimes I have to hold him while he does his duties. He does not appear to be in pain and this is confirmed by the Vet. Yet, there seems to me (at least) a dignity issue.

I'll do anything to help him out. Getting him up and hold him is not a problem.

In all my years, I've never had to put one of my animals down. How do you know when to say when. I don't want to proceed too soon and likewise, I don't want to hold on too long.

Sammie deserves the best. This is a real difficult time right now.

Thanks for your imput.

Randy

We put Smoke down after he couldn't walk anymore, went very close to blind, and lost control of his bowels. He would wake up, realize he did a number 2 on the floor and you could see the sadness and shame in his eyes. It was at that point we decided we had to put him to sleep.

If you do put him to sleep, give him the best week of his life. (IE: feed him steak every day and give him all the attention you can ... )
This ad space for sale.

There's no easy answer. I know my Bengal (cat, BTW) wasn't in pain, but still, I feel we waited too long.

I feel for you, man. I had Beeker longer than I had been with any man, he went through my worst with me, and my best too, and I still miss him every time I open a window and he doesn't come running.

:(

I'm very sorry to hear about Sammie's condition. I can only imagine what you must be feeling. :(

One of my best friends is in a similar boat right now. His dog (Lab mix) is about 15 y/o and suffered a stroke last year. Since that time, his balance is shaky at best and he's lost most of his bark. My friend was close to putting him down shortly after the stroke, but his dog pulled through somewhat. He knows that his days are numbered, so now he just completely pampers him and tries to make his life as comfortable (i.e. canned food everyday) as possible and enjoy this last bit of time with him.

B~

I was going to post the exact same thing today. I just found out my dog Bear (Flat coat retreiver) is real sick last night. He's only 11.

He is having a real hard time going to the bathroom and he won't eat or drink. Well, he ate the chicken nuggets I gave him last night. My sister works for a vet and the are thinking it's an enlarged prostate after they did a work up. He was supposedly neutered but we think he has a teste that didn't drop. He is getting tests so we are still hopefull.

Anyway, I may have to be making this desicion too in the near future. I love him to death and don't want him to suffer. I feel your pain, this would be the hardest thing I've ever had to decide.

Sammie will be in my thoughts as well.

You will know when it's time. And it will be hard. I have had to do it twice already. Here is a poem that might help. It's by Beth Norman Harris

*A Dog's Prayer*

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for thought I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will moree quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for you voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside...for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements...and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth...though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land...for you are my god..and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clead food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, wiling and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently iin your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.
Punky Monkey
You may never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them how to fly in formation

I feel for you. I've been there a couple of times and it's not fun.
From your description if he is not in pain and if you are OK with helping out in the duties department then show him the love that he has shown you for 15 years. But the time will come if he is in pain and not eating that the time has arrived.
Always remember the good times.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Thats harsh dude. Our old guy was 13 when we took him last November. His hips were failing, eyes were goin and he was in so much pain. My Dad decided when he fell down the stairs and couldn't get up. He said the look in his eyes just killed him. I feel for you its never easy.

Pete

I know exactly how you feel. My golden retriever will be 15 this summer if he makes it that long. He is such a good dog and I don't want him to go. We have to help him up also. But it doesn't seem like he's in pain, he still eats and for the most part still has control of his bowells.

I think it's gonna be sometime soon that we're going to have to make that decision. It's going to be really hard.

My elderly Samoyed (Silver Sammie) is getting close to having to be put down. GOD, I hate this. My loving friend for 15 years. Longer than I've been skydiving. Longer than any one Woman in my Life!

His hips are failing. He can't get up on his own anymore. Sometimes I have to hold him while he does his duties. He does not appear to be in pain and this is confirmed by the Vet. Yet, there seems to me (at least) a dignity issue.

I'll do anything to help him out. Getting him up and hold him is not a problem.

In all my years, I've never had to put one of my animals down. How do you know when to say when. I don't want to proceed too soon and likewise, I don't want to hold on too long.

Sammie deserves the best. This is a real difficult time right now.

Thanks for your imput.

Randy

UPDATE!!

Thanks to everyone for their kind and encouraging replies.

This morning, August 16, 2005 I helped Sammie cross the "Rainbow Bridge" and he now runs again with the puppies. Just a few months shy of 16, Sammie lost control of his front legs and could no longer walk. I spent the last days carrying him where he needed and holding him tight while sleeping with him on the floor at night.

I know I did the right thing by putting him down, but, DAMN, I feel like a real SHIT BAG right now. As I posted in April, Sammie has my loving friend for 15 years. He has been with me longer than I've been skydiving and longer than any one Woman in my Life! Those of you who have either stayed at the house or seen Sammie at a DZ know what a majestic creature he was and how you were always greeted with a friendly smile.

GOD! My heart is broken.:(

Sammy does deserve the best, and you gave that to him. Your best friend depended on you to take care of him and make that decision for him. Celebrate the joy and love you shared! I know he would want you to be OK. He gave you unconditional love, and you gave that back to him when he needed you to help him get his wings. Take comfort in knowing you gave him the ultimate gift of love. He would have done the same for you!!:)

Randy - you did the right thing.

A Dog's Prayer

by Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though you had no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshipper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest -- and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706