cocheese

Doggie heaven

Will my neighbor's dog be there ? or do they go to the same place we go ?
Saw Madison for the last time today this morning. A teary eyed good bye to start the day. She was my friend for 10 years. She wagged her tail
as i cried and said good bye.
She had cancer/tumors for a year and had one leg amputated last year. Big sweet yellow lab she was. Today she went to where ever dog souls go. Miss her already. But glad she is free.

Aw Cocheese -- I know you gave her plenty of hugs, and that she trusted you do to exactly the right thing for her.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

They go the same place we go ... doggie heaven (it wouldn't be heaven without a doggie now, would it!)

Healing thoughts to you. She's in a better place and you'll see her again.

'Shell
'Shell

Saw Madison for the last time today this morning. A teary eyed good bye to start the day. She was my friend for 10 years. She wagged her tail
She had cancer/tumors for a year and had one leg amputated last year. Big sweet yellow lab she was. Today she went to where ever dog souls go. Miss her already. But glad she is free.

My heart goes out to you.

I actually looked into the same question a while back. Very, very few clergy are willing to address the question, and the few that are give the thumbs down to the dogs.

Heaven ain't no kind of paradise if there are no citters (including dogs!) there, so fuck it--I'm not interested.

edited to add:
Not that I have a very good shot of getting in anyway...

Walt

I'm relating...I just lost my beautiful happy young lab to liver cancer last week. She was only 2 1/2 years old. Brought her in to the vet for what we thought was a tummy ache, turned out she was bleeding out internally...emergency surgery found her liver was lacerated by the tumors. She didn't make it out of surgery. We never saw it coming.

My dog was truly a great friend and companion...so I can relate to what you must be feeling.

I too have no interest in heaven if our animals cannot go...

Dude you kill me. :D

I've always been a cat person, and still am, but my most recent ex-girlfriend's family LOVES dogs. Not just a little bit. We're talkin' practically to the level of worship. They are Catholic and a while back I accused them of following the "Praise be to DOG" mantra. They thought it was pretty funny, mostly because it's pretty much dead on.

Anyway, after being around them, I see dogs as being very noble animals for the most part.

Being a smartass, though, I searched the web really hard to find an official Catholic Church statement that dogs were not allowed in Catholic Heaven.

I must admit that I was pleased that even the Catholic Church is not anywhere stupid enough to admit to a position like that.

Christiany Today skirts the question.

religionlink.org provides an interesting list of links on the topic.

Here are some good related quotes.

Walt

I'd like to believe that . . .

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

My all-time favorite author, James Thurber, wrote a very short piece on the life of his female poodle. It is the very best tribute to a dog I have ever read.

I haven't been able to find the name of it yet, but I'll keep looking. I'll post it if I find it. Be forewarned though, It will have you choked up and teary-eyed in a real hurry.

edited to add:
It's probably in here.

Walt

Don't worry! Doggie is a new and healthy puppy doggie now! :)

Did you just make a puppy ?
:$ Awe Shan you really are a sweetie.:P

No, Jesus reincarnated an old dog into a puppy. Then Buddha came and tossed him a bone. Jesus got mad because he wanted to play with the puppy and so he hit Buddha upside the head with a crumpet and then they had a cup of tea.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Like you dearest racoon?

HELL NO!!! Anne-Marie, our favorite raccoon rehabber, says that raccoon is by far and away the meanest raccoon she has ever dealt with, and she has no doubt dealt with hundreds of raccoons.

That raccoon would gladly rip my heart out of my chest with her teeth, spit it at me, and laugh.

Nope. She can find her own way to the afterlife.

Walt

Ok, so as an atheist, my true answer is probably not what you want to hear...:$

But if I am wrong, and there is an afterlife, then I will have a few questions to ask in my entrance interview... The first will be, where are my pets? If the answer from the pearl gates is, "not here" then I can tell you I am going on an after-life road trip until I find them. I think "pet heaven" would be much more fun to be in than "human heaven", and I know "pet god" would allow me to be in "pet heaven" even if "human god" does not allow pets into "our heaven."

Have you ever seen a dog wage war because of religion? How about a dog who shows prejudice to race, religion, sexuality, etc? I think they would have an awesome god and heaven!

T.

I'm so sorry - I'm right there with you. This week is the anniversary of the death of my most favorite-ist doggy in the whole world - and I've had a few in my life. I think that some of our pets are closer to our hearts than others and this girly was right inside my heart from the very first moment I ever saw her. I still miss her terribly.

I found an organization online right after she died that helped me tremendously, just knowing that others were grieving as much as I was, and that there were actual people willing to help me get through what I was going through. They were and still are awesome. The organization is The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement (APLB) and they are located on the east coast. Their website is APLB - I'm sure they'd agree with me and others who've posted here that heaven will be where the dogs are!

Peace be with you...

I'm so sorry for your loss - my doggy-girl was a similar story but I had her a few years longer - she had kidney failure when she was 8-years-old and I never really had a chance to say goodbye "properly".

My heart is heavy for you. Peace be yours.

I'm going to the Rainbow Bridge when I die because that's where all my buddies will be waiting for me. Then we'll just see where we can get into whatever place called heaven will let us in. If there aren't any, we'll just make our own place called Heaven and invite all of you to come along! We'll have a great time!

My all-time favorite author, James Thurber, wrote a very short piece on the life of his female poodle. It is the very best tribute to a dog I have ever read.

I haven't been able to find the name of it yet, but I'll keep looking. I'll post it if I find it. Be forewarned though, It will have you choked up and teary-eyed in a real hurry.

edited to add:
It's probably in here.

edited again to add:
I think the essay is called "Memorial" and is in his book, "My World and Welcome to it".

Walt