skymama

So, I have this router...

What do I do with it? :ph34r:

This is a router that we don't need at work anymore because we got wifi, so my Dad said I could have it. It's a Linksys cable/dsl router (I have cable). The box has slots for: WAN, 4,3,2,1, uplink and power. What goes where?

If you can help me, please write with small sentences and non-techy speak or your going to lose me. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Cable modem to WAN, 123and 4 to individual computers. It's that simple.

LOL, that's not simple! What part on my tower goes in the 1,2,3,4 slots?
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Cable modem to WAN, 123and 4 to individual computers. It's that simple. :)

So, you're on your computer and your kids want on it, but you gotta do your job policing dropzone.com. Get another 'puter for them and hook it up... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The part that is now going into the cable modem

OOOoooohhhhhhh! :ph34r: See, I told you it was going to be easy to lose me!

This will give me better protection against hijacking and all that, right? I'm not using it so I can get another computer.

Cable modem to WAN, 123and 4 to individual computers. It's that simple.

LOL, that's not simple! What part on my tower goes in the 1,2,3,4 slots?

What Iwan said. The network card in the towers go to the 1,2,3, and 4 ports of the router. This can be found by looking for the plug that looks like a big phone cord, but with 8 wires instead of 2-4. :)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

This will give me better protection against hijacking and all that, right?

Yes and no, though not a true hardware firewall, it does make it a bit more interesting to find your computer on the net. (Don't worry, I'm not going to get technical, I'd just lose ya.) In other words, do not drop any software firewalls you already have.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

OK, I'm obviously an idiot.

I put the cord in the "lan" slot on the back of the cable thingy into the "wan" slot on the router and that fit. There's nothing else on the back of the cable thingy that will fit into the 1,2,3,4 slots on the router. So, is it something I pull off the tower, not the cable thingy?

Coax cable to cable modem, cable modem to router (with the cable that looks like a big phone plug), computer to router (same type of cable) into port 1, 2, 3, etc.

Power all three off, turn on cable modem, wait for sync/data, turn on router, wait for lights to come on and self-test to finish, turn on computer. You should have green "link lights" above or adjacent to all your cables you used to connect.

If all things are connected properly, your computer should lease an address from the router and the router from your ISP (the cable company).
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

You poor thing. When i got my router i was so confused. Michael told me which one to get from Best Buy. Then it took "tech support" from eeneR and Phreezone and about 6 hours to get the damn thing working finally. Thank god for computer geek friends.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

What do I do with it? :ph34r:

This is a router that we don't need at work anymore because we got wifi, so my Dad said I could have it. It's a Linksys cable/dsl router (I have cable). The box has slots for: WAN, 4,3,2,1, uplink and power. What goes where?

If you can help me, please write with small sentences and non-techy speak or your going to lose me. :P

Damb, I thought you were talkin' about the type that makes sawdust. I could help you there. Bought a nice router table this weekend in fact. I don't speak techno geek.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I'm already on my second beer and ready to give up! I don't even know what a coax cable is!

I really do sympathize. For those of us not blessed with puter skills, routers are annoying and difficult. I offer you many many hugs in your unfun endeavor of hooking it up. [:/]

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I'm already on my second beer and ready to give up! I don't even know what a coax cable is!

noooooo don't give up ... but it would be much easier over the phone than PMs. Call one of the geeks you know and they'll get you fixed up in no time, really. It'll make sense the second its all hooked up!

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

For those of us not blessed with puter skills, routers are annoying and difficult. I offer you many many hugs in your unfun endeavor of hooking it up.

Thank-you, I feel so less stupid now that I know at least 1 other person had trouble with it too! :)

You do need 2 network cables (look like fat phone cables)?

Does your PC have a place to plug the fat phone cable into or were you using USB (same thing your digital camera or scanner use)?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Does your PC have a place to plug the fat phone cable into or were you using USB (same thing your digital camera or scanner use)?

YES! Is that why nothing fits in the 1,2,3,or 4 slots and why I'm so confused I'm about to get my third beer? :ph34r:

For the other person who asked, I just have 1 pc.

This will give me better protection against hijacking and all that, right?

There's a huge gain just from doing this. I've never bothered with software firewalls and never been hit by attacks or spyware. Of course, I use IE as little as possible and never use Outlook, read my mail with a text reader.

Unfortunately, it's non trivial to tell you how to configure the router. Either you have a static address (unlikely, but nice), simple DHCP (easy too), or some nasty authenticating version of DHCP that needs an id and password. Better to have someone talk with you by phone, or better yet, come over. In person I can do it in a couple minutes. By phone I've spent hours trying.

In order for all this to work your computer needs a network card (the thingy that you can plug the big phone-style connector into). If you were using USB to talk to your cable modem and don't have a network card you will need to obtain and install one before continuing. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

In order for all this to work your computer needs a network card

Ooooohhhh...I definitely think someone's going to have to come over. Figures. Thanks for clueing me into that!