waltappel

armadillo pics

Splat
Fluffy
Speak! (you'll get it if you're a fan of The Tick)
Robin

Well, he's kinda green, likes eggs, and looks like a bit of a ham for the camera. How about "Seuss"?

Edit to spell the good Doctor's name correctly.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I don't mind Armadillos. I have a motion sensor, so they stay a respectful distance from the house (that way their holes do too).

They mainly look for bugs, so they did those little triangle-shaped holes. If you throw pebbles in the grass, they will think it is a bug and flollow the sound.

Raccoons, however, dump over my garbage cans, carry diseases, and are generally nasty.

I started saving the yolks and cooking them as a treat for the raccoons I feed every night. The raccoons get either dry dog food or dry cat food every night and now were getting the occasional egg yolk omelette as a side dish.

You are *feeding* the local racoons and armidillos? Dude - you have balls! Hope it's not your house :o And if it's not, I hope you hate your landlord. Those things are gonna be the biggest pain in the ass for you. Maybe when you go on vacation, you can hire sitters to keep feeding them at night :ph34r: Seriously, they tell their friends about the free lunch, and pretty soon, you got every critter in the state digging through your trash, digging in your lawn and they'll even come inside your house if you leave a window open.

I live in an apartment complex that borders on a nature preserve. Raccoons and armadillos come on the property every night looking for food. Feeding the raccoons on the property line actually makes them come on the property less often because they don't have the need to raid the dumpsters to get food.

Since I have been feeding the raccoons they have been putting on weight and looking really healthy. They still want nothing to do with people (not even me), which is good, so everything is ok.

Walt

There are a lot of ducks and ducklings around my apartment complex, but there is a policy in place that they keep hollerin' about to not feed them. They generate too much poop, or something. Basically, all it means is that we feed 'em when no one is looking.
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

They're hairy enough! I'd like to see you take on an epilady without a shot of whiskey to help you through! ;):D

One of the great advantages of being a guy is that there is no need to shave my legs. I also have the advantage of being able to live like a slob when I want.

Walt

ha! my ex bf used to call them "panzer possums" due to the (tank-like) armor they "wear"...or possum on the half-shell.

i had to convince some friends of mine that armadillos really do jump up to 4 feet or so when you scare them. they're all over the place down here in FL and they were as well in SC.

ha! my ex bf used to call them "panzer possums" due to the (tank-like) armor they "wear"...or possum on the half-shell.

i had to convince some friends of mine that armadillos really do jump up to 4 feet or so when you scare them. they're all over the place down here in FL and they were as well in SC.

I've seen them jump, but not that high...that'd make for a great picture, though!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

One of these days I'll make a video of an armadillo jumping. It really is pretty funny!

oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE make a video!!! it's terrible to scare the poor little thing just so we can laugh, but hey, it's done with love (like with the fainting goats).:):D

One of these days I'll make a video of an armadillo jumping. It really is pretty funny!

oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE make a video!!! it's terrible to scare the poor little thing just so we can laugh, but hey, it's done with love (like with the fainting goats).

I don't think doing it once or twice is mean. It's a natural reaction they have and doesn't hurt them.

Walt

Wow, I've never seen an armadillo be so social like that. I used to see them a lot in Texas, but they would never get close to me.

I was just reading an article about the use of armadillos in leprosy research. Apparently the surface of their paws is the perfect temperature for growing Mycobacterium leprae, the bacterium that causes leprosy.

I used to see them a lot in Texas, but they would never get close to me.

They're mostly nocturnal. I've run across them hiking in the desert of west Texas during the day. They're nearly blind, so if you're quiet you can sneak right up on them. When they finally realize there is a large monster standing just two feet away from them, it's quite amusing to watch.

Attached: One of my 'dillo photos.

I've never been able to get my camera in action quick enough to catch them while they're reared-up standing on their hind legs.

oh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE make a video!!! it's terrible to scare the poor little thing just so we can laugh, but hey, it's done with love (like with the fainting goats).:):D

I took the video camera along and tried to make him jump. That armadillo is either too laid back or really wants those eggs. Either way, he's figured out that I'm not much of a threat.

I made sudden noise, tapped him on the back, tapped his tail, and tapped on of his ears. Each time he took a few steps then turned around and immediately came back to the food.

I'll get him to jump one of these days.

Walt

If they are facing away from you and you stomp your feet, most will jump 2 ft off the ground.

I've seen fine ladies react in a similar way.:)

Yours may not, they seem too domesticated.

That happens too.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

If they are facing away from you and you stomp your feet, most will jump 2 ft off the ground.

Yours may not, they seem too domesticated.

I'll try that but I suspect he won't be very affected by it.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of pics I took tonight--one of a baby raccoon and another of a large opossum.

Walt

I've seen fine ladies react in a similar way.:)

I've had them do that when they were looking my way. :o

It's not you, brother. It's them. It's definitely them.:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."