The111

here's why overnight shipping costs so much

I know it seems crazy, but that is likely the most cost effective way for UPS to organize overnight shipping.

If you notice, your package spent most of its time in PA. Probably was sent to a large sorting facility and then sent back out.

It would be a lot more expensive to have sorting centres in every major city than a very large one in a few key locations.

Basically you just threw a bunch of money down the drain.

I didn't choose it or pay for it. The shipper screwed up originally and said they would overnight it at their own expense. I didn't argue but did find it funny since I've used ground shipping between these two cities with 24 hour results. But I guess they wanted to guarantee I'd get it since I need the product (my canopy!) before the weekend comes.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I know it seems crazy, but that is likely the most cost effective way for UPS to organize overnight shipping.

If you notice, your package spent most of its time in PA. Probably was sent to a large sorting facility and then sent back out.

It would be a lot more expensive to have sorting centres in every major city than a very large one in a few key locations.

ummmm. No.
The only time a next day air package would leave the state was if was where it was going couldnt arrive by truck.

You'd be suprised how much "next day air" doesnt ever see the "air".

UPS is VERY efficient at moving packages from A to B on trucks.

Mind you Im sure it went to PA b/c they are also very efficient at sending packages to the wrong destination. I know b/c I used to supervise a line in a hub. Especially if its a small envelope that can easily be weged between packages and missed.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Especially if its a small envelope that can easily be weged between packages and missed.

sure but i doubt the111's canopy is that small :P

edit- nice to see that it was in orlando twice. should have opted to receive FF miles for it's trip :D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Especially if its a small envelope that can easily be weged between packages and missed.

sure but i doubt the111's canopy is that small :P

edit- nice to see that it was in orlando twice. should have opted to receive FF miles for it's trip :D

true, it was probably just some packing gorilla's missload. those packages come so fast its hard not to miss one now and again.

some trucks get as many as 3500-5000 packages in a 4 hour shift. No, really.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I had a UPS package come from Philli. Arrive in Baton Rouge, go back to a sorting facility in atlanta, come to new orleans, go to mississippi, then come back to Baton Rouge. I was here, left and came back again. UPS has not delivered my package, or left a slip on my house 5 times. Each time I had to go the Distribution center between their 2 hours a day they are open 8am-10am, and get my package. During the recent weather they left my package out in the rain under the carport instead of leaning it up against the door like anyone with common sense would. I HATE UPS:| rant over.....

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

I had a UPS package come from Philli. Arrive in Baton Rouge, go back to a sorting facility in atlanta, come to new orleans, go to mississippi, then come back to Baton Rouge. I was here, left and came back again. UPS has not delivered my package, or left a slip on my house 5 times. Each time I had to go the Distribution center between their 2 hours a day they are open 8am-10am, and get my package. During the recent weather they left my package out in the rain under the carport instead of leaning it up against the door like anyone with common sense would. I HATE UPS:| rant over.....

Yeah, I konw your pain. Those arent the reasons I dont work there anymore, but you get the same "quality" in a hub too.:|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

In the news today a rig tried to escape from a UPS storage/routing facility in Orlando FL at 3:30am on the 28th of Sept. The rig was recaptured after a short 15 minute taste of freedom and was taken back the to facility where it spent roughly 13 hours being tortured, having its nuts hooked to a car battery, and having degrading pictures taken of it while UPS staff stand by laughing. After the 13 hours of hell the rig was sent on its way.

:D:D
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Its showing that b/c, UPS has its supervisors do pre-scans (Ive forgotton the terminology), to make sure the people in the trucks are scanning their packages, and if the supervisor doesnt set the scanner up right it will look like that. :|
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Exactly. It also depends on the origination city as well and where the package is being routed to. The larger cities that have a larger distribution center will do a 'pre-sort' and get packages inline to go to local regional areas without having to ship out of town.
------
Michael