Daizey

Anyone have any experience filing a claim with TSA?

I came home from a trip today to find that something I had packed inside my checked bag had been damaged. Not just a little damaged, but some pretty major damage. I probably shouldn't have checked the item in the first place, but i had put it into a case and put the case into the center of my bag with plenty of padding around it, and the airline told me it was ok.

TSA searched my bag and I believe it was during this time that the item (a laptop) got damaged. There are 3 very large, deep, dents in the back and the computer no longer functions. When I had left for the trip initially I had asked if checking the laptop would be ok, American Airlines assured me it would be fine.

I called American and they won't cover it-they say they don't cover electronics. (I wish they had mentioned that when I asked if it was ok to check it) They forwarded me to TSA. TSA told me exactly what to do and how to go about filing a claim (they were very nice about me). Now all I have to do is wait 6-8 weeks to see what happend. They also advised me to file a claim with the airline anyway.

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing? How was your outcome? Do you think they'll take resposibility for it?

What a way to end a trip[:/]:S

*daizey*

I had to deal with TSA once. I had spent some time in Mexico and bought some glass items. I made sure I wrapped them very careful.

When I got home I found that the TSA handler had unwraped the items and didn't bother to wrap them back. I even had before and after pictures because I was worried that they might get broken due to not being wrapped correct.

TSA sent me a letter say that I had no way to prove that they had broken the items>:( I didn't have the time to spend chasing after a claim, so I let it go and my girlfriend bought me the same items and shipped them to me.

Good luck.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I spend alot of time at major airports due in part I like flying. Ever see a baggage handler handle your luggage.

I travel a lot too, so yes, I have seen how they handle it and I already said it was probably stupid of me to check it....knowing that doesn't help me with the TSA claim process though.

Flyangel-
that's the exact thing that happened to me. It was wrapped carefully and i got back and everything was unpacked. and jsut thrown back in-and broken.

I took picures of the suitcase condition when i brought it back, as well as picures of the laptop. I'm also not willing to let it go cause replacng this computers gonna be pricy [:/]

I guess I just have to hope for the best.

*daizey*

Go for it, replacing a laptop is going to cost a lot more then what it cost me to replace some glass items from Mexico.

I just wanted TSA to know that they fucked up. I'm sure they were all laughing at my e-mail over coffee and donuts.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Thanks Derek, I'd be happy to get anything out of it. I have to go ahead and buy a new computer because I have to have one, but it would be nice to have some type of reinbursement at some point. I don'tmind (too much) about waiting, I just hope I do get something[:/]

Thanks to you too Mary. I do have to say they were very nice on the phone. Very sympathetic and helped me all they could on the process of filing the claim, so Im going to kep my fingers crossed! I recently had glass break on a flight too-it was my only way of getting it to where it needed to get to-that was broken then too-but it was only worth $4 so it was ok.

Thanks again for the help!

*daizey*

Kristi,
the very first thing they are gouing top ask you is;
"can you prove it worked before you checked it"

that one question is going to save them ten's of thousands of dollars every year.
I Hope they do replace it for you but be prepared to fight them tooth and nail. (whatever the fuck that means)
My photos

My Videos

daizey, you might beable to claim it under homeowners insurance (maybe) if not atleast save the laptops's hard drive to transfer your files.....

and also, they don't let you take a "personal bag" ie. laptop bag or purse in addition to a normal cary on bag for no reason... cary that shit on or risk getting it broke and having to live with no recuperation...

Those of you who say forget about it, SHAME on you!!! If you just let things slide, then you are letting the TSA get away with doing SHITY jobs. We should NOT tollerate this behavior from the TSA. Their job is to inspect for contraband, and not to destroy our belongings. If they get away with it day in and day out then they will get progressivley worse. It may be some glassware that a Hispanic person made for $.38 and sold for $10 now, but tomorrow it's some ones laptop, and the next day it's them cutting your reserve ripcord with bolt cutters or cutting into a box that you have a brand new canopy wrapped in plastic, with a box knife, or dropping your altimeter on the ground or countless other things. Fuck the TSA, and how they operate. Do you think we are really that much safer in the air now, with them hiring people for minimal wage to do a shitty job. Do you think half of the TSA workers know what the fuck they are looking at or even looking for? What difference does it make if I have a laptop in my carryon luggage? Why do I need to pull it out and have them x-ray it seperatly, and the shoe thing. I'm getting sick and tired of having to strip down naked when I walk through the metal detector. The TSA is a billion dollar a year abortion, that was concieved as a knee jerk reaction from 9/11/01, and was givin NO propper prior planning WHATSOEVER. The terrorists won on 9/11 because the flight deck (COCK pit) doors were not bolted, and there were no Air Marshals to speak of at the time. Do you honestly think that people can succeed in doing what the terrorist did on that fatefull day in this day and age? No they cannot, and it's not because I had to take my cufflinks, belt, shoes and jacket off. There has to be other methods for detection of weapons and hazardous materials in peoples luggage with out the TSA opening my golf club case and DESTROYING the case latches while closing it, only to leave a little flyer telling me that they inspected my bag. Fuck them! They need to be accountable for all the damage they inflict on our belongings. If not then what is next? AMERICANS!!!, (and canadians travelling through the US) Stand up for your rights, and don't let the TSA walk all over you. File your claims! It's up to us to not let them settle into mediocrity by destroying our baggage or belongings. I hope you are not to LAZY, yes I called you LAZY, to file a claim and follow up on it. Are you affraid of them telling you no? How will you know if you don't file the claim and then appeal their first decision. You don't just take the first offer that the used car salesman gives you when he is selling you that car, do you? STAND UP for your rights America. This is your country, and without your involvement, then it will fail. This just isn't about broken Mexican glassware, but it's about fight for our Freedoms. I bet our founding FATHERS are rolling over in their graves.:|

and the shoe thing.

Nice rant... I was told once that the shoe thing is thanks to a guy that tried to put a bomb in his running shoes... :S of course... If they actually caught the guy... Which I imagine they did (with out having everyone remove their shoes...) then why does everyone have to do it now? :SB|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I hate travelling commercial now. It's fucking degrading going through security now a days, and have those people look at all my sex toys that I put in my checked baggage, and the thought of them trying them out without my knowledge (Because you know that's what they are doing), that just gives me the willies.:ph34r: Seriously, Fuck the TSA!

Oh My! Now I feel bad that I let my broken glassware go.

You post reminded me of my last trip. While flying out of a southern Calif. airport, the TSA asked to see my reserve data card. I showed them were it was at, and then they looked it over and put it back. After I got home I realized I had left my hook knife on my rig and they didn't say a thing about that:ph34r:

You girls should have the Germaphobia thing worse than guys do. Doesn't it just gross you out when the 2,000 year old woman in front of you takes her shoes off and walks through the metal detector with her 2,000 year old feet with fungus's and warts and stuff! That just grinds my gears.

NO SHIT!!! I flew from CO Springs to San Diego with my rig as carry on. In C Springs, they called a bunch of people over to the X-ray machine to look at my rig. In Sandiego they swiped it for the explosive stuff. When I got home I thought about that little hook knife that was on my rig. It was on there the entire trip. Yup, the TSA is really effective, and they really know what they are looking at.

The shoe bomber dude... i guess I understand x-raying the shoes, but look at the picture of that guy. I mean come on, the TSA should have arrested him for just looking stupid.

sorry to hear about your computer...

i used to be an airline employee and no airline ever covers losses/damages to electronics. the only thing they will cover is damage to your suitcase. unless they can prove that TSA damaged it and not their baggage handlers. and since you've already told them about TSA doing the damage, i'd be surprised if American will compensate you for the suitcase at all.

side story: i used to know a bunch of baggage handlers who used to pee on bags of passengers who gave airline agents a hard time. this is what we'll do -- we usually call down to baggage and give them the bag tracking number. then it's up to them to do their "magic" to the bags. because of that, i put all my underwear in ziploc bags just to be safe. i also put all my other other stuff in plastic bags: shirts in one bag, bottoms in another bag.

another side story: i was checking-in a drunk guy who was verbally abusive. so instead of sending his bags to San Jose, California, i sent his bags to San Jose, Costa Rica!!! took over a week for him to finally get his stuff.