lauras

Happy Birthday Ron!

Thanks....

Just for you:
Moving to Texas (A short story).

I planned on traveling light. I gave away most of my possesions and packed a 5X10 trailer with what it could carry. If it didn't fit, it didn't go. So, right now I am sleeping on a Futon in the living room of my apartment (The bed would not fit in the trailer). I then sold the trailer on the DZ really quick ,people were fighting over it, and took off. The trip itself was about as much excitement as I can handle.

Everything went fine till AL. There I filled up with water at a gas station that had a little petrol in it. Yes that was written right, mostly water with a little gas in it. My car pulling about 2500# of everything I own could not turn more than 2,000 RPM or the engine would quit. So here I am driving through the backhills of AL....Remember I-10 was destroyed in LA, so I had to go North in AL then cut over....With EVERYTHING I own and I have car problems.

I was starting the hills at 55-60, but by the time I crested the top I was doing 35. I tried to speed back up to 55 on the way down (Remember I can't go over 2,000 RPM or the car shut down) so I could clear the next hill. Well this continued till I got out of the backhills of AL and found a decent gas station in MS. Surprize, they were out of Drygas....I wonder why? So I filled the tank with Premium and took off.

That worked well until I got to half a tank then the trouble started again. I filled up again and STILL no Drygas to be found. I did find some STP cleaner...I figured it could not hurt, so I poured it in and took off. Again, good till about half a tank. I finally found a Gas station that had rubbing alcohol. One bottle of that and I was good to go.

Lesson #1...When you have everything you own, you will need something you don't have.

It was here that I saw that the weight of the trailer was bending the hitch. Can't blame the hitch, it was not its fault. I had a trailer loaded with everything I owned, it had to be heavy. So when ever I stopped I put the foot down on the trailer to remove the weight from the hitch. Here I am driving with EVERYTHING I own in a car that was not running right, with a hitch that could break. I can't just drop everything I own on the side of the road and expect it to be there when I get whatever problems I am having fixed....So I pushed on.

Lesson #2 learned....Mustang GT's were ment to haul only one thing, and that is not a trailer with everything you own. They are meant to haul ass and thats it.

I tried to get a Hotel, I didn't really want one since everything I owned was with me and I didn't want to leave it unattended.....But with the hurricanes they were all full anyway, so I kept driving. Made it to Texas from FL in one day, about 21 hours. My Apartment office was not open till noon, so I pulled into a reststop and tried to sleep around 3AM.

Ever try to sleep in a Mustang GT? See lesson #2. Mustang GT's are meant for ONE thing. And that is go fast. They make poor trucks and I can now tell you that they make lousy hotel rooms. Plus mine was filled with crap, so I could not even use the backseat. Oh and bonus, the seats in a Mustang only go back about 10 degrees past vertical. I ended up taking my clothes and making a rats nest in the front passenger seat. My head was on the dash board and my feet went into the back behind the drivers seat. It was about 3:30AM and I planned on waking up at around 8 or 9 to drive to my new APT. In those 6 hours I got about 4-5 minutes of good sleep. Yes, I said "Minutes". Between the "comfort" of my nest and the trucks that were driving around me I did not get much if any sleep.

Lesson #3. Mustangs make REALLY bad hotels.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I will save your ears and not sing "happy birthday" to you over the phone.

Everytime I pick up the phone today I have been blasted with that song except when you called.

You have no idea how much I tremble when I reach for the phone:P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

33....Not nearly as old as people on here think I am.;)

Wow, I thought you were a lot older than that. :P

Happy birthday.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So here I am driving through the backhills of AL....Remember I-10 was destroyed in LA, so I had to go North in AL then cut over....

First I want to say Happy B-day and am glad you made it to Texas ok. You should have dropped me a line. I'm in Baton Rouge and you could have used my spare bed to crash for the night. Second is you didnt have to leave the interstate. I-10 is closed but you dont take 10 all the across LA anyway. You take I-12 and that runs you back into 10. Straight shot and cuts a lot of miles. Take care in Texas and I will probably see you in Houston for skyfest or something.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I am in Roanoke just N. of Ft Worth.

I stand corrected then. You wouldnt have come this way anyway. I have some family in the Dallas area so if I'm ever in town I might have to look you up and we could go get a beer and tell some lie's.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Happy Birthday. I feel you should treat yourself to a new watch. It is the least you can do for yourself.

Not a watch, but here are some of my new toys:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=EFLH1100

Yes, I had one in Zhills...Now I have two. (One just balled itself up, so I might just get another one today)

And I bought one of these...Just waiting on a friend to help set it up....52 inch rotor....

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRP9015

So got my toys ;)

Oh, now that sounds like fun. Is Texas really worth all that trauma?!

Hows that hurricane thingy working out for ya? :P

Its a good job. But yes, I miss you guys.

Where in Texas are you headed?

I am in Roanoke just N. of Ft Worth.

Let those of us here in the H~town area know when you you'll be wanderin' down this way...I'd love to share some air with ya...put a face to the 'posts' so to speak!B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~