Diversgodown

Anybody with Martial Arts Experience?

I have taken a small amount of Martial Arts, Kung Fu. I liked it alot but moved from the area and never got back into it. I now want to continue and am looking into Integrated Martial Arts. a combination of several styles. Is there anybody that is in this type of form. It seems that there are alot more of these types of places now days. Just looking for some opinions! Thanks B|

***Glory Favors the Bold***

I got to Rex Kuan Do Dojo's.....hope I spelled that right.

That's nice but a long way from TX, How long have you been going? What kind of art is it? Do you like it? have you heard anything about mixed arts? Does it make you flexible enough to perform oral sex on yourself? (just seeing if your paying attention) ;)

I have LOTS of training but most of it has been military, law enforcement, or just plain how to kick the shit out of someone training. :D All courtesy Uncle Sugar and the American tax payer. Just depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to get in shape, add some self confidence, or just learn how to incapacitate someone in under a second? ;)

Are you looking to become a competitor or just a sport thing? There's a combination of Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, free style wrestling.

I did kickboxing for awhile.....now moved on to tae kon do.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

I have LOTS of training but most of it has been military, law enforcement, or just plain how to kick the shit out of someone training. :D All courtesy Uncle Sugar and the American tax payer. Just depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to get in shape, add some self confidence, or just learn how to incapacitate someone in under a second? ;)

Goals-equal- Get in better shape, learn to incapacitate 1 or a number of foes if put in the situation, possibly compete, gain some inner peace through discipline of the body and mind (corny I know) but I think it would help calm me down.

Are you looking to become a competitor or just a sport thing? There's a combination of Jiu Jitsu, kickboxing, free style wrestling.

I did kickboxing for awhile.....now moved on to tae kon do.

Why did you decide to move on, Did you feel you learned enough of kickbocking and wanted to expand your knowledge and learn diff. Techniques? I probably would like to compete, Maybe UFC in 7 years or so. :|

I did Shotokan Karate for about 9 years. I was mostly in it for the excersize and the fun of sparring. I fully recognized that "light contact, sport" sparring actually trains you to be a worse fighter, but you'd still be better than someone untrained in anything.

I had to stop cause of school, didn't have time. When I graduate I plan on taking up something new. Mostly because rounded experience is almost always going to be more effective than just one discipline. Probably not jiu jutsu because I see so many people permanently injured from it and that's just not what I'm into. I want to still have the use of all my joints in 40 years.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I rarely (almost never) have to incapacitate people in my line of work (accounting).:D

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I rarely (almost never) have to incapacitate people in my line of work (accounting).:D

I'm suprised! I thought accountants got all crazy and had lots of bar room bralls. Drink tequilia it will help. :D

so many jokes, brain .... frozen .... can't... verbalize ... too crowded to finish...aaaaghhhhh!!!

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why did you decide to move on, Did you feel you learned enough of kickbocking and wanted to expand your knowledge and learn diff. Techniques?

It was a combination of things, kickboxing was cool in the fighting techniques....but after a 11/2 year of it I was wondering about all other techniques.

I chose Tae Kwon Do is because of the physical & mental (mind and body in harmony with nature & oneself). As well as to know how to behave in all situations. In my opinion tae kwon do give me more self confidence, and it was more of the "code" that I was looking for to live by: Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverance, Self-control & Indomitable spirit.

I got my son & my daughter in this....and both of them loves it.

Why did you decide to move on, Did you feel you learned enough of kickbocking and wanted to expand your knowledge and learn diff. Techniques?

It was a combination of things, kickboxing was cool in the fighting techniques....but after a 11/2 year of it I was wondering about all other techniques.

I chose Tae Kwon Do is because of the physical & mental (mind and body in harmony with nature & oneself). As well as to know how to behave in all situations. In my opinion tae kwon do give me more self confidence, and it was more of the "code" that I was looking for to live by: Courtesy, Integrity, Perserverance, Self-control & Indomitable spirit.

I got my son & my daughter in this....and both of them loves it.

The only reason I worry about Tae Kwon Do is the fact that there seems to be one on every street corner, and I am concerned that some of the art may have been lost in the masses. But still nonetheless it is probably just a paraonia. I'm sure there are alot of great instructors. I think I may give the integrated martial arts a try. I think that by combining the best of a few arts you could really be prepared for many situations

I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and yes, I've needed the skills exactly once. Poor teenager thought I'd make a good mugging victim. I left the sport about 5 years ago for personal reasons not related to the sport whatsoever. I am thinking about joining the local school in Shaolin Kung Fu, and they teach weapons and combat fighting as well.

As for flexibility, yes, it does increase it (although perhaps not enough for your stated goal... ;). It's good for your body to be moving, however the exercise happens. Inner discipline? Yes...being able to quickly assess a situation and to move more comfortably through your life is a good thing.

The benefit, imho, that martial arts training provides over a gym routine is that your mind is almost always actively thinking, assessing, judging, determining, and working somehow, whereas at a gym it isn't nearly as much involved in a treadmill and weight routine.

I competed; it was a wonderful learning experience. I was relatively successful, and could have been moreso had I wanted to go that direction. I am a competitive person by nature, and this was a good direction to put that into rather than in other areas of life.

I am definitely looking forward to next week when I go for the "demo" week...I expect that I will enjoy it enough to continue on indefinitely.

I suggest you stop thinking about it, and for the price of a jump ticket, go take the demo classes at several different studios. That will give you a taste of what style you would like to pursue (Tae Kwon Do is very, very different from Shaolin Kung Fu...but it is fascinating to me nonetheless). If you like it, do it, you know?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

[replyThe only reason I worry about Tae Kwon Do is the fact that there seems to be one on every street corner, and I am concerned that some of the art may have been lost in the masses.

I agree with you there......just do some research, and take demo classes like Michelle mentioned. I found my teacher by accident actually........he's is now 70yrs. and is from Japan........he's the best (in my book).....still very vibrant and physically fit for his age. Hope you'll find what you're searching for.

-Orchid

Top 10 reasons for studying martial arts

10) Broken masonry makes great drainage for potted plants.

9) Get beaten up by people half your size and twice your age.

8) Never run out of kindling wood again.

7) No need to wonder what belt to wear.

6) Get to be on first name basis with the Emergency Room staff.

5) These uniforms make nice pijamas.

4) Never need to wonder why it's hard to get up in the morning.

3) Get to appreciate the finer points of Chuck Norris' acting.

2) Learn to count to 10 in 3 different Asian languages.

And the top reason for studying martial arts:

1) (Tie) Get to star in Ginsu commercials. /
Three words: free nose job.

I see you are in Dallas, i have studied various styles of martial arts over the years and competed in full contact shoot fighting in 92-93 (kind of like UFC now).

studied the following
karate (shotokan)
chan shou do (mixture of 3 differen styles hard and soft).
muy thai
wrestling
chi na (small joint manipulation)

again it's been quite a while but if your interested in hooking up to beat the crap out of eachother i'm game;)

send me a PM if your interested as I am in the Dallas area too...

Dan

I have been doing Tae Kwon Do for about 11 years and competed 1999-2003 in the NASCA and IMAC circuits.

If you are looking to compete I would recomend the following three styles or combination of.

Tae Kwon Do (I'm bias, but sparring this stye can go either open or Olympic, both are fun)

Kung Fu (There soft forms really kick ass)

Karate (Traditional forms)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

The Intergrated styles that I looked into when I wanted to study again were very impressive, at first. I think anywhere you go there will always be some individuals who excel in what they do and would be formidable fighters if they were trained in any discipline.

The reason the impressive nature of these styles wore off was because I revisited the basics of the styles I studied in the past. Talented stylists in any of the systems I was involved with would not let a situation get bad enough to take the fighter out of his element. These conglomerate systems are the quick fix to the problem. Although they teach a more rounded platform for self deffense, I think to some extent the discipline and the emphasis on focus is diluted.

I hold a seconed dan in Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do, a first degree in Shorin-Ryu Karate, and dabbled for a few months a piece in Tai-Chi, Wing Chun, Aikido(wish I had time to have stuck with that for sure) and Kempo. All schools were very traditional in nature.

Good luck finding a discipline that will offer everything you seek.