Diversgodown

What are some reasons people stop Jumping?

hahaha well it's nice to feel the love!

i want to be at CSC more next season, and planned to at least get a 50 jump package for that. right now, because of other expenses, even that is looking unlikely, but i'll see what i can do. regardless i'll be out there more than i was this season. I'm sure that law school isn't as bad as med school...it's just other things related to law school (ie drinking on every day that ends in -y) sometimes made coming out to the dz hard. in any case, the winter's actually a welcome rest this year.

On September 3rd my wife was diagnosed with leukemia. We have two young sons, ages 6 & 8. I've always thought that if anything happened to her I would quit until the boys are old enough to manage on their own. I won't take the chance of leaving them orphans at such a young age.

Due to the risk she might die or have a relapse even if she survives I am done for the next 10-12 years.

Basically, my sons' well-being is more important than me getting my rocks off skydiving.

Nothing I love doing more than jumping but this was an easy decision.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

good vibes to you, your wife, and your kids, man. I's sorry to hear about that....

for me, the first time I quit (god, is this a f*cking AA meeting?), my wife had just gotten pregnant w/ our first kid and we wanted to buy a house, so the gear went... shortly after that, the twin bo I used to jump from crashed... eek.

the second time I quit (i'm such a quitter), we were up to 3 kids, and I couldn't afford all the saftey gear... aad, top o the line helmet, newer gear, etc. plus, the drive to the dz was just too long, took too much time away from the fam...

now, contemplating a move to illinois, we'll be moving very close to another dz, the cost of living is a lot cheaper and I might be able to spring for newer gear... so, maybe i'll start again...

[:/] i sure do miss it though... i dream about it all the time.

-the artist formerly known as sinker

For me it was a sequance of events that happened in a short period of time. Had a pretty bad accident (no major injuries) and didn't go in due to blind luck. Then I lost a friend and moved in with a non-jumper...thought all three were signs to get out. Couldn't stay away and found out my jumping days were still ahead of me. :)

Not having a 'skydiving shaped hole' in your life, for whatever reason.

I couldn't imagine NOT having a "skydiving shaped hole" in my life, but it looks like I'm going to have to face that reality. MONEY! It really is the root of ALL evil, when it can prevent you from doing the one thing you truly love. :( I started doing tandems a couple of years ago and feel in love with the sport. When I had money, I didn't have enough confidence to go solo. After I gained my confidence, I completed 2 training stages and was aiming to get my license UNTIL I realised that paying my mortgage, expensive dental work, an operation, doing general maintenance around the house, fixing the plumbing etc etc etc, is quite basically, going to stop me from living my dream. I know everyone has issues with money, BUT THIS REALLY SUCKS!!! If I'm really careful with my money, I might at least be able to do a tandem every year or so - Better than not jumping at all, right?