bisqit999

Star Wars question

which brings me to this point.
when the red and black headed guy killed the jedi in front of obi wan why did he die and just lie there but when obi wan was killed in front of luke he vanished?

I remember reading somewhere that even producer Rick Mcallum(sp?) asked Lucas this same question.
The answer he gave (or rather thumb-sucked because Lucas himself admits to inventing much of the continuity on-the-fly) is that Jedi only 'dissapear' if they are strong enough with force, that the midichlorians themselves absorb and dissipate the body. Lesser jedi and sith lords stay intact. Some fans even like to believe that Luke was burning an empty Darth Vader suit in Episode VI rather than Annakin's body, because Annakin was powerful enough to disappear too.

It gets messy trying to piece these kinds of stories together with logic. It's like the Matrix trilogy, many parts of the sequels inevitably conflict with the prequels just to be able to boost the entertainment value in other aspects.
It should be remembered that, up until a few years ago, Lucas was never sure that he would actualy make all 6 movies. He wasn't too worried about perfect continuity, he was more concerned with face-value entertainment which would be more likely to turn a profit. Lucas has said that in his original draft of Episdode IV, Obi-Wan survives his encounter with Darth Vader and goes on to train Luke himself in Episode V. During filming however, he changed the story to kill off Kenobi because he thought it would add more entertainment to the individual movie. When persuaded to assist with the story for the sequels, he needed another character to train Luke so he changed his draft of Episode V to create the Yoda character that was never there before.

I'd like to see any of you pull of what Lucas did. It's easy to bash the succesful.

Yes, there are glitches in the continuity. Overall, I think it was well done. I saw each movie with the mindset that I wanted to be entertained by the story and picture. I didn't go in with the mindset of needing to pick it apart.

One "continutity issue" that actually amused me was when in the last scene of of III Yoda talks to OB-1 about how to communicate with the dead (Qui-gon). This would be needed info for Ben to communicate with Luke after he parished. What amused me was why they thought they had to clean up that loose end and not others. It could have been just assumed that it was possible for Jedis passed on to the Force to come back and talk with the living. They are Jedis of course. They have special powers.

Use the Force Luke!

Let go Luke!

Stretch out with your feelings.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Here is a better question:

Why does Empire Strikes Back scrolling words in the beginning state that Vader is searching for Luke?

They didn't even meet in A New Hope...

He sensed Luke's presence in The Force throughout the A New Hope movie...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Why does Empire Strikes Back scrolling words in the beginning state that Vader is searching for Luke?

Uh, yah they did. Don't you remember that Vader was shootin at Luke in the final battle scene? I'd count that as "meeting".

Omg.... I'm arguing Star Wars trivia online. I am a geek!

Um.

Yeah...ok. I'm bashing him because he's successful, not because he's a money grubbing bastard who'll happily piss on his legacy for another buck.

The trick to art is knowing when to stop. George doesnt understand that in his rush to highly paid mediocrity.

The video games always seemed truer to the spirit of Star Wars than the recent movies.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Uh, yah they did. Don't you remember that Vader was shootin at Luke in the final battle scene? I'd count that as "meeting".

Which one? While inside the battlestar as the good guys were getting ready to make their escape as Vader slices Alec Guinness in half, or while running through the trench with the torpedoes to blow up the star? They never met face to face, only a fleeting glance from afar.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Which one? While inside the battlestar as the good guys were getting ready to make their escape as Vader slices Alec Guinness in half, or while running through the trench with the torpedoes to blow up the star? They never met face to face, only a fleeting glance from afar.

Well, if someone shooting at me doesn't count as us "meeting" (implying that they will then know about each other going forward which is the thing I was responding to since Vader was searching for Luke in Epsisode V because he knew that if Luke had blown up the Death Star then he could rought further damage on his rein of evil which he would never want to end and he could live forever and ever and ever murdering people ) then I don't know what does.

He did say "The Force is strong with this one." So, he must have known that he'd have to go after him at some point. Was he looking for Luke "his son" in Epsisode V or was he trying to track down the dude who keyed the shit out of his car?

right.... but he couldn't figure out Leia was his daughter when he was questioning her?

bogus.

At the end of III, didn't Yoda give Obi Wan something to work on while he was watching over Luke? Would that be the master reference? Would that also be the disappearing act?

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Qui-Gon was Obi-wan's master, but Yoda took a hand in instructing all of the new jedi (younglings), so Yoda was Obi-wan's instructor for part of his training.

But there are a lot of problems with the prequels, due to the fact that Lucas had only a rough script of the prequel formats in the 1970sand 80s, but didn't completely write them until after the original episodes.

In Star Wars (Episode 4), Obi-Wan is introduced to R2D2 by Luke, who said it belonged to him. Obi-wan responded with "I don't recall ever owning a droid". But in fact, Obi-wan owned R4 in the prequels, and should have remembered R2 for sure, even if it was 20 years before.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Ok, if anyone cares I just answered my own question on this thread. As seen in the movies, Yoda is the one who teaches the young Padawans as children. He's kinda like the kindergarden teacher for Jedi until they grow up and get a Jedi Master to finish the training. So that is where he instructed Obiwan.

Was just about to write this out.

At the end of III, didn't Yoda give Obi Wan something to work on while he was watching over Luke? Would that be the master reference? Would that also be the disappearing act?

This was communing with the dead jedi. The reason that Luke can see the ethereal Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin is because it was Qui-Gon that figured out out to commune from the dead to the living jedi. That is seen in Epsiode 2, after Anakin kills the sand-people, and Yoda is meditating, you hear a distance Qui-gon voice shout "Anakin, no!" - Yoda realizes that Qui-Gon has come back in ethereal form to commune with the living. Yoda assigns learning this skill to Obi-wan at the end of EP3. You'll note that no other jedi seems to have this skill in any of the other movies - it's because it's new to the Jedi.

Another problem with this is that Obi-wan never really taught that skill to Luke, but he somehow acquires it after Obi-wan dies. That's how he can talk to dead Jedi.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

right.... but he couldn't figure out Leia was his daughter when he was questioning her?

bogus.

I don't think Leia had the force's aura around her as she wasn't a Jedi... but what the hell do I know... :P

The original movie Star Wars that was released back in 1977 or thereabouts was recently re-dubbed episode IV.... Empire Strikes Back is now episode V, and so on...

Incorrect, it was always Episode IV "A New Hope"

NEGATIVE.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Jump to: navigation, search
Star Wars Episode IV:
A New Hope

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, originally titled simply Star Wars, is a 1977 science fiction film written and directed by George Lucas. It was the first film to be released in the Star Wars series, but is the fourth part of the series by chronology of events. Among fans, it is commonly referred to as ANH.

When originally released in 1977, it was released simply as "Star Wars", both on promotional material and during the opening crawl of the film itself. For this reason, this film, more than its sequels, is often referred to as "Star Wars", instead of by the "Episode IV" number or the subtitle "A New Hope". In 1980, the sequel, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, was released with the episode number and subtitle in the opening crawl. In a re-released version a year later, "Episode IV: A New Hope" replaced the original opening title of "Star Wars" above the opening crawl.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

More Star Wars trivia:

The climactic scene in which the Death Star is assaulted was modeled after the 1950s British movie The Dam Busters, in which RAF Lancaster bombers fly along heavily defended reservoirs and aim "bouncing bombs" at their manmade dams in a bid to cripple the heavy industry of the Ruhr. Some of the dialogue in The Dam Busters is repeated in the Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope climax and in fact Gilbert Taylor, also filmed the Special Effects sequences in The Dam Busters.

Scenes from the Death Star assault are also reminiscent of the film Battle of Britain, particularly in showing the face of the pilot in the cockpit, and the radio dialogue between teams named after colours. Another inspiration comes from Battle of Britain's long combat scene near the end of the movie which is presented without dialogue or sound effects, but with a classical movie background. The parallel between the use of classical-style music, rather than popular orchestral or even more recent rock, blues, swing, or jazz soundtracks, is notable.

The real-life battle provided inspiration also, with World War II providing a heavy influence on the look and feel of the films. While the dogfighting between the "Allied" X-wings and "Axis" TIE Fighters, the ships were based more on the Pacific Theatre, with the larger sturdier Rebel fighters based on the United States Navy carrier-borne aircraft, and the smaller but faster and more manoeuvrable enemy TIEs based on the famous Japanese Zero.

The costumes of the pilots reflect this, with the characteristic orange flight suits of the rebels, which are very similar to the flight suits worn by American fighter pilots in the Pacific War. The cockpit design of the Millennium Falcon is also heavily based on the design used in the famous B-29 Superfortress, such as the Enola Gay.

The helmets worn by the TIE Fighter pilots are reminiscent to those of the Japanese during the Pacific campaign, though this is not as blatant as the "Samurai style" helmet of Darth Vader. Lastly, the uniforms of the Imperial officers are quite similar to those worn by the Germans in World War II.

The battles were copied from film of WWII dogfights, replacing the British and German aircraft by Star Wars spacecraft.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I don't think Leia had the force's aura around her as she wasn't a Jedi... but what the hell do I know...

Luke wasn't a Jedi either at that point. Hmmmm. But in Episode 6, when Luke told Leia that they were siblings, he also told her that she had special powers, being the son of Annakin and all.

got an ak-47 for his best friend
business the american way.

Now before this has its arse dragged over to SC this is not a socio-political commentary from the righthand side of the pond, I just like the line in the song B|

Hijack over, back to u+your regularly scheduled programming; Star Wars also owes a big debt to Akira Kurosawa, in particular Hidden Fortress (but so do a lot of my favourite films)

Experience is a series of non-fatal errors.